Master and Servant 3D Entry: Diego Velasco-De Armas

Diego,

wonderful job! You´re very close to finishing your entry! :thumbsup:

I love what you´ve done with the cave and the red dust/ smoke. The warm colours and organic shapes of the cave/ monster provide a good contrast against the straight lines and organization of the boy´s bedroom. A couple of things strike me though as slightly off (and I may be wrong, and in that case, disregard my comments) -

• the boy´s left shoulder seems a little shorter, even though we know he´s shrugging. It may be the perspective, but perhaps if you lower the shoulder a tiny bit, or rotate his left arm a tad, this problem will be fixed;

• the diameter of the lamp by the drawing table seems a little too large.

Other than that, sensacional, espetacular! :buttrock:

Beijos e boa sorte!

Wicked! good luck with the final Diego!

Good update. This smoke really improve the scene. :thumbsup: It´s 2d paint or are a 3d particles?

About the overal composition, I just don´t understand what´s happening in the scene … The kid invoke a demon to show his drawing? Don´t take me bad … but my doubts could be same of the judges … :wink:

Só mais 6 horas … corre, corre, corre… :bounce: Quero muito ver essa imagem terminada … :thumbsup:

Amazing, there’s a full of détails in the room. Nice
Good luck.
David.

I´ll upload the TIF, then I´ll post some comments.

wow, I impressed! very good work :applause:
only one crit…I thought that monster’s skin will have more details…

Made it! :smiley:

Time left: 0 days, 1 hours, 29 minutes, 14 seconds

Damn! Cut it very, very close. So this is the final image. I am very happy with the way it turned out, and especially with the fact that it turned out at all! This challenge was a very interesting experience, I´ll definitely participate in future challenges. With one major diference- I´ll get an early start! I liked the concept of the image, and took the challenge to heart until I finished it. Which means that I pretty much slept about 4 hours a day (if at all) ever since I got in. The image is a depiction of an imaginary confrontation of a boy and his inner demons (here represented by just a big one). The cave in the room is an impossibility (aggravated by the fact that the room is in an apartment), and the smoke (which is painted in 2D, BTW) softens the line between the real and the imaginary. Their relationship is purposefully ambiguous, as are most relationships we have with our darker emotions. I decided not to make a very obvious image to leave some space for interpretation. The picture of the man is pretty much a symbol for something that would invoke the demon of anger. It just had to be simple and direct, and convey the emotion that it was a target for the beast. Anyway, I enjoyed tripping on the idea, and then on the execution. This illustration had a curious effect in that I had a very clear idea of what I wanted right from the start, and continually kept fleshing out the details in my head (even when I wasn´t actually working on it). In the end, the original sketch shows through pretty clearly. Well, I hope you like it.

cheers,

–Diego

Great image and very magical in it feel :thumbsup:

i’m amazed by the concept of ur work… and its also very well done… i like the shape of that demon… very stony but organic. love those smokes and the color difference… very well done… wish u all the best :thumbsup:

Wonderful work from concept to fulfillment - can’t believe I haven’t seen this until now…

Congrats and good luck! :thumbsup:

Parabéns Diego. O salto na qualidade visual nesses ultimos updates foi incrivel. Gostei muito do resultado final. A iluminação do quarto e as cores melhoraram muito.

Parabéns pelo ótimo trabalho. :applause:

Boa sorte. :thumbsup:

Ah! Eu finalizei meu trabalho para esse contest tb, se quiser dar uma olhada, o link está na minha assinatura. :slight_smile:

Hey DIego,
Very impressive image:thumbsup:, the blending of the 2 worlds is very nicely done . Good luck with this.

so you did it!! cool man well done!!! as we say around here in dust we trust!!

Oh wow, i’m sorry I haven’t seen this one before. I think it’s a very well executed image, and a great concept to start with. The textures really sell this one for me, well as the cool cloudy effect.

Diego,

Congratulations man. I saw you running against the clock and you made it! Great job for the short amount of time you had. Nice final image. Good luck :thumbsup:

Peace,
Kris

Thanks again to all who took the time to reply to this thread and give me some feedback on the progress of my image. I know that the final image has already been submitted, but I still feel like polishing it a bit. I worked a few hours on the bump/texturing/shading of the demon, and I’m posting the results on this thread:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=241829

Next is the kid’s expression, and toning down a bit the light in the middle of the room.

Also, I wrote something on the other thread about the composition of the image that is interesting to note, as it was already part of the finished image-

The only point on which I disagree with you is the doorway. For me, it does a couple of things for the picture: 1) gives it some breathing room, with the area in the back contrasting with the amount of detail in the front. It would probably look pretty cramped if that weren’t the case. And 2) there’s a mirroring effect going on- two exits, so to speak: one in the actual world, to the left, and another (the tunnel) in the escapist imaginary world, into the subconscious, to the right. Two choices, in contrast with each other. I like that idea. It looked too empty before the rug, but I thought that the rug fixed that.

impressive work! great texturing and lighting ! good luck :thumbsup:

hi dvelasco

Super final image, congrats, I missed your thread until the end, I love your post effects
and the concept is wonderful, I thought the boy might be slightly off balance, its only a small thing, love the deatils and lighting
good luck, hope to see more of your work in the next challenge!

Patina

My M-S, the hunchback,
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/entry.php?challenger=7495

Hi Patina, Smaddl! I’m happy that you liked the end result. I’m looking forward to being a regular at these contests :).

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.