Master and Servant 2D Entry: Michael Dashow

Aahh, I see what you mean there. I thought ‘multiply’ just made it darker- I didn’t know it effectively removed the white. Silly me. :blush:

Thanks for your help- this has really inspired me, believe it or not.:arteest:

I really, really hope you win something- because you have a great piece that I’ve been rooting for from the beginning and also because you aren’t afraid to share your knowledge, that’s a hard thing to find in artists, usually people are rather secretive about how they do things.
Once more…thanks! :smiley:

Judges, give this man an award!! Can’t you see he deserves it!? :surprised
:beer:

Yeah, what she said, judges! :smiley:

Anyhow, hey, it’s no problem at all, it’s one of the things I love about these CGTalk Challenges: Sure, it’s a contest, but almost everyone is being open and sharing with processes and techniques. (I’ve found the same thing with pro artists I’ve met at conventions like WorldCon, where we’re all doing the same thing, but in our own stlye, and people have been more than willing to share techniques, leads, contacts, the works!)

Anyhow, it makes sense, even if we all knew all the same techniques and tricks, we’d all be doing our own personal images anyhow. No one else was going to come up with an image this weird but me even if they knew every Photoshop trick that I did. In the end, nothing can guarantee you a prize, but at least I’ve grown as an artist and maybe helped others grow too, and that’s important.

Just came back from a walk, during which the correct metaphor for the Multiply ink occurred to me: It’s like drawing your outlines on an animation cel, and then putting the color underneath. But the lines are on the top face of the cel so they always show up on top of the colors.

E.T. - I flatten pretty late in the process when I’ve had several weeks to work with things and be sure that I’m not going to need to back up a few steps. And I never completely flatten things. For example, even my final working copy has seperate layers for the skin, the shirts & suits, the miscellaneous objects, the cubicle walls, and the background. (And a few more for effects, like the rim light and the ceiling lights.) Later in the game it’s less of an issue of changing my mind on things and more just the convenience of having things on seperate locked layers so that I can easily paint without going outside of the lines. If I do need to do something like redesign a minor character, as I did in this piece, I don’t want to also have to repaint the background behind him. So it helps a lot when he’s on a seperate layer. But at a certain point, yeah, you have to just commit to flattening some fo the stuff. At least in a contest like this, you have several thousand pairs of eyes telling you, yeah, it’s okay, you can move forwards, it looks fine! :slight_smile:

anyhow, thanks Theresa (and everyone else) as always, for your kind words and encouragement and vote of confidence! Cheers!

-mike

excellent detail and concept…

i’d hate to get attacked by him.
awsome creature modeling

This is not a boo-fest but I really would have placed you higher than ‘honorable’. At least the judges saw what a fantastic artist you are and had to recognize your submission in some way. Congratulations Michael!

Hi Michael,

my congratulation to honorable mention.:thumbsup: I hope you are pleased with the result.

best regards
fahrija

Its so nice to see ur piece being awarded man! I hoped u’ll be noticed, while I was counting on u even in previous challenge. U deserve it :bounce: Congratulations and I hope we’ll see in next challenge as well! :smiley:

Congrats, michael!!
I would have placed you higher as well, but…there’s always next time! :twisted:
Have fun with your prizes…:buttrock:

Prizes? Um, Theresa, we don’t actually get any prizes for honorable mention. But I do appreciate the mention nonetheless. Thanks to all of you for your kind words, too. Hope you’ll all be around for the next challenge, too. I plan on being there… See you then!

-mike

Well you’ll get a choice award for it i think and, grin congratulations Mike! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

congratulations dude!!:beer:

hi Michael,
congratulation!!:smiley: :buttrock: :thumbsup: for me u deserve higher.:bounce:
see u next time.

For me too… Anyway congrats, man : excellent piece !

congrats, mike! :beer:

i still think it´s a really awesome piece… and i had so much fun seeing it develop… :slight_smile:
see you next time! :bounce:

Congrats MIKE!!!

An honourable mention… too low on the podium I think but progress non the less!!!

:bounce:

He he hey… I knew I would be seeing your name in the lists… some how!

No I actually had hoped for having you higher than were they had preffered. But at least you have this image under your arm to carry around and show off with! :thumbsup:

It was fun to pick at you the whole competition long… and also amazing to see how you patiently actually listened. Though The judges seem to agree that you should have gone with number 5… or was it 7… damn has been too long.

Great pleasure to get aquainted with you and your work! All the best to you and your ever observant wife!

Black

angel - Thanks! No Choice award yet, but I did make it onto the front page, so that’s pretty cool!

arkinet - Thanks! Hope you’ll be around for the next one, too. They should be announcing it in the next 4 weeks or so!

xric - Thanks, so did you.

pierre, benita, & ken - Thank you! Hope you all will be around for the next one too, we’ll get 'em next time.

black - Thanks for all your help during the entire challenge. Maybe I wouldn’t have gotten as much help from you if I weren’t doing something so Lovecraftian, as that certainly grabbed your attention, but I do appreciate all of the help you had to offer. Can’t guarantee a Lovecraft piece next time but I still hope you’ll be 'round for it!

Catch you all soon - we have another one coming up!

-mike

Oh no it was the enthusiasm that got me to it… LoveCraft only enabled me to be able to comment more than I would maybe be able to.

This is not my only playground, I dedicate almost 8 or so hours of my days helping people through the internet in many area’s I have a grasp on (Often getting abused ofcourse). But in any case, regardless to your image being H.P. Lovecraft or not; I don’t think I shall be as helpfull here again after a very tasteless situation that I am still very annoyed by.

I am just started spending my spare evenings recently on redoing my entry in the 2D WIP forums and leaving it at that… with an occassional visit to members dear to me or works that catch my attention. And I preffer leaving it to that for now.
I have some matters that may come my way this month on… and I may not be able to compete either. It all depends on the subject… I get seduced easily if they get as good as this one.

Well in any case all that matters is that you have done a wonderful peace of work that you should be very proud of… I am :thumbsup:

Black

I have no words…Simply astounding! Great work!

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.