Master and Servant 2D Entry: Matt Dixon

i really like the brush strokes and the mood of the pic , nice work and good luck.:eek: :thumbsup:

What to say matt. You’ve just kill me. It’s wonderful. Concept, design, color, composition…all is so great. :cry: I don’t know what to say. Just I hope you’ll win. It will be a justice.
And i was so afraid this picture will not be finished. I must go cause it’s too much emotion for me.

Bravo.

again a very nice pic. I like the texture of the metal. Good work and good luck for the end

I’m so happy you finished it. Love your concept, utterly love the way you brought it to life. It’s wonderful. Absolutely, definitely and simply wonderful.
Good luck withe judging (not that you’ll need any :smiley: ).

Very nice Matt! Congrats on a great illustration! Good luck to you my friend

excellent matt. powerful image… one of my favs for sure

huh, a quiete but awesome thread! U did a great job (as always) and I hope u’ll be properly rewarded for this :slight_smile: good luck!

Great work. I love the way you handle details. One of the hardest thing to do is to restrain from putting too much details into an artwork, but you balance it out very very well. kudos.

I couldn’t resist a few final tweaks, but this is definately ‘it’ - I’m off to upload to hires right now.

Thanks again to everyone for their encouragement. I really mean that.

Congratulations Matt. Really a great work. :applause:

Good luck on votting :thumbsup:

Good luck Matt:) You’ve created a striking image.:applause:

Really lookin’ forward to the judges say in this challenge.

James

It looks great. I really like the contrast between the girl and the robot. Good luck.

Thanks, chaps.

I just wanted to leave a note about the concept behind this pic and how it relates to the challenge topic. Some people seem a little confused as to which is master and servant. There’s no correct answer. I’ve tried to leave things as open as possible, in the hope that people will find their own interpretation of the image; it’s for you to decide.

For what it’s worth, this was the idea in my head when I began -

‘The Machine’ represents adulthood - the spinning wheels and monotonous rhythm of a working life of responsibility and repetition. The child, obviously, represents our youth - shining with innocence and optimism before the inevitable fate waiting to swallow her up. The girl’s hand is raised - is that in curiosity, or a gesture intended to halt to metal beast? The machine appears to smile - is that because the child has touched it’s rusty heart, or in anticipation of a new slave to join the ranks already toiling upon it’s back? We’re all born to be servants, but each of us has the power to be master of the machine if we so choose.

I hope that makes sense to someone. If not, I’ve tried my best to paint something interesting to look at whatever story you see.

( EDIT: Pasted this text with another update so it appears with image at the start of the thread. )

Matt, you done good, easily one of my favourite entries! Very nice balance of detail. I can’t imagine much more of a contrast of size, power and vulnerability than you’ve shown here. My take on it is that the little girl is the master and the enormous robot is somehow bound to protect and provide for her. The girl knows it too, since she’s not really flinching as the robot chews up the very landscape around her! Is that a flower she’s going to gift him? Awwwww :slight_smile:

AMAZING WORK!!!

the machine’s texture is realy cool.:eek: … and the little girl said me that she’s more powerful… great final image. Congratulations!:thumbsup:

Myazaki meats Giger… gorgeous!!!

I’m physically stunned.

bravo,
~B

I just wanted to leave a note about the concept behind this pic and how it relates to the challenge topic. Some people seem a little confused as to which is master and servant. There’s no correct answer. I’ve tried to leave things as open as possible, in the hope that people will find their own interpretation of the image; it’s for you to decide.

For what it’s worth, this was the idea in my head when I began -

‘The Machine’ represents adulthood - the spinning wheels and monotonous rhythm of a working life of responsibility and repetition. The child, obviously, represents our youth - shining with innocence and optimism before the inevitable fate waiting to swallow her up. The girl’s hand is raised - is that in curiosity, or a gesture intended to halt to metal beast? The machine appears to smile - is that because the child has touched it’s rusty heart, or in anticipation of a new slave to join the ranks already toiling upon it’s back? We’re all born to be servants, but each of us has the power to be master of the machine if we so choose.

I hope that makes sense to someone. If not, I’ve tried my best to paint something interesting to look at whatever story you see.

I’ve had fun working on my first CGTalk challenge and it’s been great to watch so many wonderful artworks develop over the last few weeks. Now I’m off to get a beer. Cheers to everyone who’s left comments and good luck to all the entrants! Hoorah!

So cool!!! This is one of the first thread I’ve visited, and I still really like it. Great job! :slight_smile:

Fantastic Matt! A tight emotional piece, with depth and feeling. A pleasure to watch the process. And thankyou for your support matey, in many ways, not least; having a computer that does ftp! :slight_smile: