Mars not red?

Its been said on some websites that the pictures from mars are not as red in real life as NASA wants them to be. It sems as though picture from mars have been photo edited to contain more red and less blue. Why this was done remains a mystery but it seems like Nasa wants Mars to have a red image.

This is the picture of mars translated back. Although not entirely accurate because the green information has been lost in the color correction.

Proof of this lies in the sundail seen on the mars photo’s and reference pics taken on earth.

Here’s the sundail from mars as seen on earth.

Here the same sundail on mars, strangely missing any trace of blue.

Link to the story in dutch (in dutch) - Crummy Translation in english
http://frontpage.fok.nl/news.fok?id=36985

Another website claimed the same during the last mars misson when pictures from mars were send to earth. This is their site.
http://www.enterprisemission.com/colors.htm

I dont know how much of this is true, but it remains an interesting case.

Hum, interesting.

Here in this 3d model made by nasa, the red flor ins’t that red as those panoramic pictures:

I read somewhere that the pictures transmitted are already “wrong colored” because the camera doesn’t shoot pictures like a normal camera. It takes parts of light that are usually not visible (infra-red etc) as wrong colors into the picture.
So Nasa has to alter the picture in order to make them appear like Mars would when seen by a Human eye.
But it could very well be that they over did it a bit to “please expectations” :wink:

path finder gave exactly the same results as well

Ah, the Mars color conspiracy…
I just have to ask myself what possible reason Nasa would have for spending millions on a probe to Mars and then intentionally altering the images sent back. And not simply altering them, but leaving sloppy clues in the images for everyone to find.
Of course, I don’t claim all the photos are 100% accurate color, but I do believe the ones they claim are accurate are pretty close to what you’d see if you were there.

are these the same people that claimed nasa never went to the moon?

Yeah so what?

I mean, everyone thought that the moon was made of cheese, then NASA got there, and said it was just made of boring old rock.

So wow! mars isnt red (red planet is going to have fun with its name)

Deal with it.

As you may know sky on Earth is blue because of scattered light. The atmosphere on Mars is much thinner, therefore scattering is not a factor. The Mars is red because its atmosphere has great presence of rusted iron dust particles. Makes sense?

J.K.Makowka, thats not correct:

I read somewhere that the pictures transmitted are already “wrong colored” because the camera doesn’t shoot pictures like a normal camera. It takes parts of light that are usually not visible (infra-red etc) as wrong colors into the picture.

You may be thinking of deep space images from telescopes here on earth and from Hubble. All those star and nebula images are fake colourised. The cameras on the mars landers are full colour cameras. Of course, they also have infrared, ultraviolet etc… as well.

I dont see what they would gain by colourising the images at nasa. And im one of the ones that dont believe that men have been to the moon.

Regards,

Marc

if ure interested there was a lengthly explanation from nasa and various groups about this with the pathfinder probe back in 96 which was when they realised the images they reciieved werent as humans would see it, im sure if u check around its still online somewhere

the 2 shots of the sunprobe are actualy taken from earth with the replica sunprobes. Also the picture you grabbed with a blue sky is also from earth, its from egypt. It’s used for comparison becuase they thought it was formed by water but was no, as there is also a place like that in canada which WAS formed by water and looked the same.

You kinda missed out… but I’m not in the least surprised how fast the skeptics came up on this one.

boy it does boil my blood.

While I agree with you, BiTMAP, about this silly color conspiracy thing, the image at the top is indeed someone’s color processed version of the Spirit landing site, not Egypt. You can see part of the “Sleepy Hollow” depression at the right edge of the image.
Also, the pancam images were taken on Mars as this link states (scroll to bottom of link)>>Link

I just wonder why some people spend an inordinate amount of time and effort trying to “expose” this mythical conspiracy. The whole point of the mission is to look for life, and you can bet that if they find evidence for it, we’ll all know.

BTW, here’s the link for the similar looking Earth sites (Canadian Arctic and Egypt).

Ok if Mars is actually blue then that changes a lot about what it actually contains right?
There are pics of mars having a face and 3 pyramides just like the one in egypt (photos taken from the voyager).
But if the ameture astronomer actually got a pic of mars being blue then yes it could be.
Perhaps there are dust particles and maybe light acts differently on Mars.
Wow 1st the moon landing and now this!
Does anyone have more links on this topic?

As with most things, it can only be judged by viewing it with your own eyes. Even then vision can get blurred by what’s accepted by the general public or not. So let’s all go there and find out :slight_smile:

yeah i heard a disscusion about this topic on art bell a few days ago, i dont know could be blue sky, the color colaberation thing is a bit odd, ive heard storys of people at jpl going around to all the monitors and cranking the red up all the way to make it look even more red…i guess it all boils down to what your willing to belive, there is water on mars so why not blue sky?

I mentioned in another thread here that the Earth’s sky is blue due to Rayleigh scattering of light NOT off of water or water vapor or dust, but off the gas molecules of the atmosphere itself. Mars’ sky would almost certainly be blue as well (whether it has any water or not) if not for the red dust particles suspended in the air. There probably are some quiet areas on Mars where enough dust can settle out of the air so that the sky is more bluish - who knows.
I do know that the cameras on the rover are no toys. Roberto Ortiz provided a link to an excellent article on the camera technology on the rovers.

Just one more thing to fuel the a$$inine conspiracy theorists.

Originally posted by betelgeuse
Mars’ sky would almost certainly be blue as well (whether it has any water or not) if not for the red dust particles suspended in the air.

It would, but it is not, because it’s much much thinner then Earth’s

Originally posted by AmbientLight
It would, but it is not, because it’s much much thinner then Earth’s

Well, the thinness of the atmosphere would only deepen and darken the blue like what you might see on the top of Mt. Everest or the view from a fighter pilot’s jet.

There you go. So, maybe at last we can come to conclusion that those photos are doctored and NASA didn’t fake anything.

People who believe in such conspiracy theories are usually pretty ignorant or too lazy to research the subject.