Mari and Modo Indie available now on Steam

Hello,

If you’ve ever wanted a version of Mari and Modo for personal and Indie use you’re in Luck!

We’ve just released Mari and Modo indie on the Steam store.

Modo Indie On Steam
Mari Indie on Steam

Get more information from our website here

There is a nice post on fxguide.com

With Mari at $149.99 and Modo at $299.99 (or less with our 25% launch discount) these version provide the all of the tools of the commercial versions with absolutely no commercial limitations if you’re an indie (i.e. if you earn a million bucks using them, good for you :smiley: )

You can even get both as a bundle for $379.99 (or less with the %25 launch discount)

I’ll be hanging around for a while to answer questions.

//youtu.be/RtiLp_lUiQg

//youtu.be/dklWENcYnX8

Well - now I can own Mari. Finally. =)

Thanks guys for a great decision on an indie price. Love it!

Awesome! Glad you like it. We listened to a lot of people and we hope this hits the mark.

This is Awesome news.

As a hobbyist it is hard to justify buying software at full price when I don't use it commercially. Also this is great for people who are self taught and don't get access to educational discounts.

Thanks Foundry :slight_smile:

The FAQ seems to contradict this? Limitations on rendering size, features disabled etc etc.

There are some limitations on scalability and export options in both Mari and Modo Indie, but all of the artistic tools from the commercial versions are available.

Indeed, there are some strong limitations for both indie versions. Especially the export limit to 7K in Modo Indie is a joke, and makes Modo Indie more a expensive demo version.

Modo missed a big chance here.

[b][b][b][b][b][b][b]MODO Steam Edition[b]

[ul]
[li]EULA: Personal, recreational and non-commercial use, except only if Licensee uses the[/li]> [li]Software to create assets and content Licensee may sell such assets and content through Valve’s Steam Workshop.[/li]> [li]OBJ and FBX poly export limit 7k[/li]> [li].blx files not encrypted/tied to Steam ID[/li]> [li]No Bake or Render limit[/li]> [li]Dynamics disabled[/li]> [li]Animation disabled[/li]> [li]Rendering disabled, except for bake options under Bake menu[/li]> [li]Command eval options in the system menu disabled[/li]> [li]Command History panel removed[/li]> [li]Form Editor removed[/li]> [li]Layout menu disabled[/li]> [li]Python editor and third-party script loading disabled[/li]> [li]Third-party plugin loading disabled[/li]> [li]Kit management options from the system menu disabled[/li]> [li]Export is FBX and OBJ only[/li]> [li]Prevents saving as anything other than .blx format, although can still import all formats[/li]> [li]Direct export to Dota 2 functionality[/li]> [li]Available on Win only[/li]> [li]Limited stock content available for download[/li]> [li]MODO Steam Plugin allows loading of .blx files into Full MODO[/li]> [/ul][/b][/b][/b]

[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]

That is the feature list for the old version, Modo Steam, that this version replaces. Nothing that some people found the 7k limit, erm, limiting, we’ve upped it to 100k for this version.

The full list for Modo Steam is

• EULA : Commercial for-profit use allowed for individual use, or individuals of a sole-proprietorship organization where only one license of each variant is allowed
  • OBJ and FBX export limit expanded to 100k polys
  • .lxf files are encrypted and locked to an individual Steam user ID/license
  • Limited Bake and Render resolution to 4k
  • Full dynamics toolset
  • Full animation toolset
  • Full rendering toolset
  • Command eval options in the system menu disabled
  • Remove Commands, Scripts and results from Command History panel removed except Undo
    and History
  • Form Editor disabled **Note: this will be made available in first update
  • Form Layout added
  • Python editor and third-party script loading disabled
  • Third-party plugin loading disabled
  • Kit management options from the system menu disabled
  • Export is FBX and OBJ only
  • Can only save in .lxf format, although can still import all formats.
  • Image save formats limited to .png and .jpg, .tiff and .exr
  • Dota 2 Export functionality removed
  • Available on Mac and Win only
  • Full stock content is available for download
  • MODO Steam Plugin will only work with MODO SE and not MODO indie

Ah,wait, i grabbed the Modo SE eula part. The modo Indie eula looks a bit friendlier. But still an export limit …

Why is that limit at all? It is, um, limiting, One might want to deal with a heightmap mesh or a mesh to bake in megapoly range :slight_smile:
[b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b]
[b]

MODO indie[b]

[ul]
[li]EULA : Commercial for-profit use allowed for individual use, or individuals of a sole-proprietorship organization where only one license of each variant is allowed[/li]> [li]OBJ and FBX export limit expanded to 100k polys[/li]> [li].lxf files are encrypted and locked to an individual Steam user ID/license[/li]> [li]Limited Bake and Render resolution to 4k[/li]> [li]Full dynamics toolset[/li]> [li]Full animation toolset[/li]> [li]Full rendering toolset[/li]> [li]Command eval options in the system menu disabled[/li]> [li]Remove Commands, Scripts and results from Command History panel removed except Undo[/li]> [li]and History[/li]> [li]Form Editor disabled **Note: this will be made available in first update[/li]> [li]Form Layout added[/li]> [li]Python editor and third-party script loading disabled[/li]> [li]Third-party plugin loading disabled[/li]> [li]Kit management options from the system menu disabled[/li]> [li]Export is FBX and OBJ only[/li]> [li]Can only save in .lxf format, although can still import all formats.[/li]> [li]Image save formats limited to .png and .jpg, .tiff and .exr[/li]> [li]Dota 2 Export functionality removed[/li]> [li]Available on Mac and Win only[/li]> [li]Full stock content is available for download[/li]> [li]MODO Steam Plugin will only work with MODO SE and not MODO indie[/li]> [/ul][/b][/b][/b][b][b]

[/b][/b]EDIT, crossposting, sorry. And thanks for correction :slight_smile:

[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]

Please bear in the mind the limit is for export only. Not internally. Internally go crazy. We include the full baking functionality if you want to export a low-res + normal or bump map.

If we didn’t include an export limit, or a commercial limit it would be the full version of Modo.

Lol, sometimes this just needs to be said. :slight_smile:

Is a direct internet connection required after downloading (installing and using on a PC that is permanently offline)?

Yes as I understand, Steam will need to connect to the internet each time it starts.

Bought. I applaud you The Foundry, for bringing 3d apps at non-retarded prices for indies to use. The limitations don’t bother me in what I do, so to me it’s like using the full version :slight_smile:

Good move!

I personally thank you for offering both option, to buy them or to subscribe to them, thanks for that!! :smiley:

I don’t understand why you limit the render output and remove the state of the art format, EXR, that’s the only limitation I don’t agree with, since it’s so basic nowadays even for indy people.

Now the mandatory question… Nuke indy?..

Cheers!

Thanks for buying and the feedback.

We are aiming to be at the point where most people not doing big professional work don’t notice the limitations.

Will there be also a non-steam version in the future?

This is something we are looking into but no timeline at the moment.

I think this is a great initiative, it’s really refreshing to see a software developer making allowances for individuals who don’t have the deep pockets of large studios, but to be totally honest I find the Mari limitations a little too restrictive. I know I certainly wouldn’t be able to use it as a freelancer with those limitations, which is a shame. Things like 16-bit, .exr/.tif export, and numerous UDIMs are absolutely 100% essential in my field of work.

Still, I guess for folks working in indie games, where two 8-bit UDIMs may well be sufficient, this is great news indeed.

I agree with Leigh. Especially the UDIM tile limit. 2 is just too low! a maximum of say 6 16-bit UDIM tiles would of course be far far nicer!

And a max of 3 objects in the scene… this appears to be more of a hassle. Users would be switching to and from Mari and their DCC merging and separating reference Geometry to get around the 3 object limit.

Or can you have an unlimited number of reference objects but only 3 that can be painted on? I havent used Mari before so I don’t know how that works…but i’m so excited about Mari Indie :slight_smile:

Thanks for considering our feedback.