March: "Frightened"

March Animation Challenge

There are only 2 more weeks in the month of March so this month will only have a Non-Audio topic. For this month the topic is

• The Character in the scene is on edge and gets scared of something like a feather that floats by his head. (Can be anything so long as whatever scares the character isn’t a threat to him/her at all.)

For anyone who doesn’t know of a site to host there WIPS I suggestion trying Vimeo or Youtube.

Good luck to all, and I hope to see some great work.:smiley:

I would love to give it a go and am going to try but I need to get through some more digital tutors.

I have a good idea if someone wants to work with me???!!!

I am about halfway through the blocking stage. I spent about 45 min. on it. Hopefully tomorrow night I will be able to post my first WIP.

I think that I might have a little more on my plate than I could handle.

That's okay it will give me something to do.:shrug:

Here is my first run with the key poses.  ([KeyPoses](http://www.vimeo.com/3757159))

ok I see how you translate your idea into blocks. nice thank you.

what else are you working on?

Well I still have to try and come up with some thing for my character to see on the wall I was thinking of a mouse on the Garbage can but I can’t really find a rig for Maya. I would say that it would be a heavy goal for me to make one since I am not the best modeler or rigger. But I really like the idea of a mouses shadow growing on the wall and scaring the character. So only time will tell what I could come up with.

yea that is kind of the idea I had. the toon would turn and see like a little mouse or kitten. I would help you rig one but I don’t know how sorry.

Micah-H - Ah, no worries I will just wing it and see what happens. I once did a Maya Foundation book that had me model and rig the character Boog from “Open Season,” but that was kind of long time ago so I don’t really remember to much. Hopefully what I do remember will be enough to get me through a simple… :smiley: really simple character.

Here is my final model for my mouse character. That the main character is going to be scared of.

looks good

I have been practicing walk cycles and jumps and other things still, I hope I will be able to block something out for this task.

Maybe you could try to go for a reaction animation. You know with the character just standing and then all of a sudden he transitions into a frightened pose. Either way I can’t wait to see what you come up with. :bounce:

As for an update on my scene I am trying to rig the mouse. I created the skeleton and now I am going to bind the geometry… probably tomorrow. Tonight I rented Madagascar 2. I hope that I can be done real soon so that I could block in the mouse and polish up the animation before the end of the month.

good movie! I am about to sit down for bolt, should be good studying!! :slight_smile: your right I should try something like that at a minimum.

take care
micah

So as it might already seem it is taking me way to long to rig this my mouse character. I had to break out an old text book and study some on rigging. Which I don’t mind since I am learning something that is just necessary. So I hope I could still finish in time. :banghead: LOL

Hey thats fine with me man I am still watching tutorials, I say take as long as you want since its practice anyways

My animation is nearing the finish. It’s has been tough since I have to work full time and take care of my 2 year old son. But now that I think about it the more it sounds like a bunch of excuses. Anyway enough of my rants. I hope to finish before the End of the Month.

hey splinter, if you dont mind, would you upload some of the different blocking stages you have, if they are saved separate. I would like to see what in betweens you put in next after your extremes and so on. If you don’t have time do not worry I think I am figuring it out… :smiley: maybe!

micah

Yeah that’s not a problem. I had to change it because my original was getting to become a little too big a project for me. So it has become more simplified. The mouse was taken out and I replaced that ideas with a piece of paper and the main character is going form a waiting pose to a reaction shot with a sign of relief after that. I will try to get in the blocking and progression in very soon.

There is still a big learning curve for me, but I can’t wait to get this piece finished. I am a little nervous to say it but this will be my first character animation done in 3-D. I have had some experience in 2-D and some inanimate objects in 3-D.

Here is the blocking for the new Animation. 2nd Attempt

nice that looks good! are you going to work on the turn at 6secs now? looks good though

Yeah I have started working on the timing a little more in the “Dope Editor” and once I get those poses where I like them I think that I will try to work on the subtle motion a little more that way he doesn’t look so robotic. I will post an other update a in a few minutes hopefully you could see it and let me know what you think.