Manhunt blamed!

and due to this how many people have you brutally murdered, people have you raped, and/or people/ things have you torchured?

because I have been watching rated R movies for as long as I can remember and I have never had the urge to kill someone…(remembers that really anoying kid in 5th grade) well maybe I have thought about it like probably most people but common sence the knowledge that I would get arrested (unless my parents got to me first they would kill me :smiley: )

if you show me that more than 0.01% of the people who play violent video games go on to kill people then I might consider that maybe videogames may cause violent behavior.

this type of stuff only happens in America. people try to force their values on other people and cause a huge comossion.

In other countries people play videogames that are just as violent and their are less murders and when there is a murder the people don’t blame it on video games.

welcome to america land of freedom and lyberty unless:

you are going to hurt someone… (understandable)

you bother someone… (also understandable)

you do or say something that someone who doesnt have to watch or listen to this thing you have done may get offended…(WAHHHHHH :eek: )

I like this article on the topic;

http://max3d.3dluvr.com/text/Violence%20in%20Millennium.txt

Teenage violence has been around for a lot longer than the last 30 years.

This thread is making me want to kill…:twisted:

… correct me if i’m wrong, but i dont recall hitler, pol pot or lenin having played videogames and they murdered millions?

Holy S*** what a long post! Obviously the kid was nuts to begin with. Who in their right mind would ever use a hammer?I would use a tea kettle or an old ironing board,never a hammer, never ever. And someone in this post said something about pavlovs dogs again? Um, excuse me but might I enquire as to what breed of canine you are? Me I’m a Scottish Terrier Ruff,Ruff,Ruff:p The neighbors still get mad at me when I poop in their yard. I can’t understand why?Where else am I supposed to go?:shrug:

But seriously,blaming bad behavior on a video game does not work for me at all. If you don’t believe that this kid was totally nuts already and would/did/might have/already done something heinous anyway?But that it was the video game that drove/inspired? him to it? all I can say is I’ve got some beggin bits I just know your going to love:rolleyes: They’re made with um, real um, baconlike substances.yum,yum

Re: Anogarir.

A very good point.

What I find distrubring is that there is an audience in the first place. Why? That worries me. A healthy society would not enjoy the simulation of brutal murders.

Most people don’t enjoy the killing that goes on in Manhunt. But. games like Vice City and Metal Gear Solid a lot of people find entertaining. It is not a simulation of a murder. It is not realistic, the people aren’t people. The “people” don’t even have a mind of their own. Their personalities are scripted and their artificial intelligence is generally weak.

I’m guessing you’re not exactly young, and you’re one of those people that think society has gotten worse since you were a kid. The population on this planet is growing, so the frequency of killings would be expected to increase along with it. Communication has gotten better over the past century, and now you actually know what goes on out there during wars (and the thing is, you still don’t know everything). I don’t think you have the knowledge to judge what a healthy society would or would not do. I’m not trying to be rude, just been reading too much Asimov and that whole psychohistory thing is sitting in the back of my head right now.

Good point there DaemonMagus, that violent crime is actually on the fall, but news reports it more and more. It comes down to, if you put a cop on every corner, you’d find a crime on every corner, and crimerate would shoot through the roof. It’s not that things are getting worse, it’s that we’re just paying more attention to it.

The arguement also has two important points:

There is no direct correlation between playing violent videogames, and being violent.

There have been a number of biased studies (done by organisations who’s sole purpose of existence is to prove video games are casing violence) that have made some VERY tenuous links to violent games to violent behaviour, but for the most part, they’ve been hearsay and studies designed to provide the correct results. (defining the questions so that the answers they want are the only ones that you really can choose)

There have been a few studies that have used proper scientific techniques, by outfits not related to videogame manufacturers, or by anti-violent game lobbyists. They’ve found no proof that games, or any violent materials change the behaviour of children or otherwise.

The child in question was a drug dealer who decided to deal with a client that had not paid for his goods.

That’s right, not many of the supposed news sources decided to mention this fact, being that just another drug kill wouldn’t be news worthy, but if they left out that little fact, it would make better news.

Dargon, citing surveys, polls, and statistics to support your suppositions is only valid if you can actually provide links to them. I can just state that studies DO show a correlation between violent gameplay and aggression in players, but that wouldn’t give me authoritative currency.

Daemon, you seem to argue that because a person isn’t a teenager, and therefore, somehow “with it,” that he or she can’t understand this issue clearly.

Dude, you’re a kid. All of us were kids once, too. So, not only do we know what you’re talking about, but we also have years of experience to back up our views. So, you might want to stop using that argument.

I directed my statement towards one person, you’re the one saying that I was talking about all of you.

ok, i just wanna say that i dont blame the games totally, but people that are suceptable to ‘suggestion’ (and under age) shouldnt have access to material like that, they need professional help.

y'know, this all happened in [b]MY[/b] home city... that sucks.

as a child (9 or 10) i used to play streetfighter games (still do), ocasionally my friends and i would play fight and pretend to be charactors from the game, though this never got actually violent as we realised we could seriously hurt each other.

i play violent vedio games all the time, i really enjoy them infact. ive [b]never[/b] commited a crime, i havnt been in a fight since i was 11 (some kid kept calling me a Nazi, for about 3 months just because i wore an army shirt, so i hit him a couple of times).

i grew up on a very similar estate to the kid that commited the murder. during my childhood, i was exposed to domestic violence, bullying and a poor education, yet im totally non-violent and would never even entertain the idea of brutally attacking anyone.
so, whats his excuse?

i think parents need to pay more attention to the mental health of thier children. and maybe bring them up a little better.

(ok, maybe that was a rant, and yes, a little unfocussed...ahh well....... )

well they had violent plays and violent classical music. Nazis were opsessed with their classical music.

your assuming that a healthy society can exist…i’m not saying i wouldn’t like it…i would love to be able to leave my doors unlocked and not worry about what happens while i’m gone…but…you’ve got to be realistic…there is NO way…that society will be “healthy”…not knocking you…i’m just being realistic:shrug:

It is a little known fact that vikings watched dirty hairy movies before they attacked coastal communities and burnt them to the ground.

No they are not. I’ve never seen that happen either. Maybe it’s the people you hang around with which is in the minority?

[Edit]
Just wanted to mention this point again, because it seems to keep being overlooked:

[b]The child in question was a drug dealer who decided to deal with a client that had not paid for his goods.

[/b]That’s right, not many of the supposed news sources decided to mention this fact, being that just another drug kill wouldn’t be news worthy, but if they left out that little fact, it would make better news.

[/Edit]

Maibe the kid has taken bowling lessons in the morning of the hammerin?:shrug:

That can lead to some seriously violent behaviour, or so i’m told…

edit:[size=2][color=white] charleyc: sorry for not seein your post before, but …[/color][/size]

“Q_B…you compared this game to teh way a woman dresses and rape. You are absolutly right, they are comparable. I try to pursuade my wife to dress, in what would by todays standards, conservatively. I do not, and will not as long as I have the athourity, allow my daughter to dress like a slut as well. Ask any law enforcement officer and they will tell you that this is a very high cause for rape. It excites a part of some people to that point. Just as games can obviously do. As I stated, I am not trying to tell anyone what they can or can not do or make. I am simply wondering why (as it seems many others now are) would this company want to contribute to society in such a way?”
well well, first the “dress like a slut” is really a very controversial thing … also didn’t quite get what u ment by trying to persuade wife dressing conservatively???
would u consider a short skirt, high boots, very open shirt, to be “dress like a slut”? If so, i may resent that, as so much more ppl here :slight_smile:

Anyways, what matters is: the company doin the game has the same amount of responsability as the company making the “slut clothes”. get it? I just can’t believe it would cross anyone’s mind suing some fashion company cos of that.

So let me get this straight.
The kind of entertaiment you choose affects your behaveouir.
Let me see.
So the guy who goes to a strip bar and hire’s a hooker is made more sexual preverse??
The nerdy kid who spends all his time wataching amime turns into some weird prev, due to the anime??
The kkk member is made MORE racist by his using as target pratice mook afro-american plastic models??
The redneck is made more redneck by watching a redneck show like Gerry Springer?
The guy who goes into a bar to get drunk is made into a acholocilc beacuse of the bear he drinks?
Or let us consider it the other way around.
The christain that now watches ONLY christain moives is now more non-violent due to his vieiwng christain moives?

In all these situations you can see that the entertaiment is only a differnt experssion of what is already underlying within the person. It is a reflection of what is inside. That is how it has always been.

Originally Posted by WaZAr:

So let me get this straight.
The kind of entertaiment you choose affects your behaveouir.
Let me see.
So the guy who goes to a strip bar and hire’s a hooker is made more sexual preverse??
The nerdy kid who spends all his time wataching amime turns into some weird prev, due to the anime??
The kkk member is made MORE racist by his using as target pratice mook afro-american plastic models??
The redneck is made more redneck by watching a redneck show like Gerry Springer?
The guy who goes into a bar to get drunk is made into a acholocilc beacuse of the bear he drinks?
Or let us consider it the other way around.
The christain that now watches ONLY christain moives is now more non-violent due to his vieiwng christain moives?

WaZar, a guy who hangs out in seedy strip clubs (and let’s face it, they’re all seedy) and hires a disease-addled woman who sleeps with untold numbers of men for sex is not exactly a choir boy. A kid who watches cybernetic monsters with ten penises rape a woman dressed as a Catholic school girl is not what I’d call a normal kid. The KKK example is too obvious to even comment on. And, a guy who goes to a bar to get “drunk” probably IS a drunk. And so on.

*So the guy who goes to a strip bar and hire’s a hooker is made more sexual preverse??

He does if he makes it a habit.

*The nerdy kid who spends all his time wataching amime turns into some weird prev, due to the anime??

If the kid begins to consider watching anime (or any other form of TV) is better than doing things in your own life, or worse relates to anime characters more than people, than that is a problem.

*The kkk member is made MORE racist by his using as target pratice mook afro-american plastic models??

The difference here is have those feelings and acting on them.

*The redneck is made more redneck by watching a redneck show like Jerry Springer?

Cmon, who hasn’t felt dumber for having caught of Springer on!?! :wink:
“JERRY! JERRY!” :scream:

*The guy who goes into a bar to get drunk is made into a acholocilc beacuse of the bear he drinks?

Not the beer he drinks so much, but the people he does drink with, can have an impact.

*Or let us consider it the other way around.

There is that whole “born-again christian” thing.

I won’t say your points aren’t without merit. I will say however that our lives and our views are shaped by our experiences in life. The media is part of the experience and, as a result, influences us to a certain extent. It is silly to argue it otherwise advertising would cease to exist.

charleyc: sorry for “hammerin” again on your reply, but…
“It excites a part of some people to that point. Just as games can obviously do.”

Great! Its a good thing being visually “excited”! But you don’t go and rape women just cos they excite you!

So because it “excites” some wackos does it means it is wrong? Nope, the wackos are wrong. The wackos are bad. Not the games nor the provocative clothes. Of course it excites. It’s the point of it. Games are suppose to “excite” u too, in some point. But normal people, even “excited”, don’t go and make their thoughts into reality at the expense of others. Mentally ill people do. That’s why they are mentally ill.

Besides, the company does not “want to contribute to society in such a way?”. It wants to make and sell games. I may not like the type of game, or the content (wich i really personally don’t), but that doesn’t mean:

1. that i can impose my likes or dislikes based on unfortunate ocurrences
  2. that the content of the game is a direct cause of some mentally ill act.

So as long as it plays by the legal rules, its BS even thinking of sueing. U’d have to sue a million of other things first.