Magritte's reproduction

hello,
this is a Magritte’s reproduction picture for a school’s work.
C&C are welcome

Awesome, dude. nice concept…well, nice repro of Magritte’s concept.

The lighting is perfect, I think the shading though could use just a little more work; stuff feels a little flat to me (i.e. the rocks). The toes on the foot closest to the ‘camera’ look a little game-character-ish/boxy too.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen the original, though. You may be right on track.

Great so far!

the wood looks like it doesn’t quite fit with the rest of teh picture. looks too photographic while the rest of teh picture looks painted???

question: how did you get the boots and feet to look painted?? the color looks really good! :slight_smile:

keep it up!

Great idea! Agree that the three textures don’t really match each other… wood is too photographic, rocks are too flat to match the soft paint-like boots.

Love to see them get up and walk away… :wink:

Weird, but cool,

The rocks as stated above do look flat…
They look like they are from mars… did you use a mars texture?

thanks guys for your comments

Kgkraeer : your 're right. The first thing i have to do now it’s to work on the toes to be more realist and not like a gamer style:)

Pha3z and Aja B : the textures for the environement come from the original Magritte’s picture.
i put some bump on the rock’s map anyway too much bump become really ugly. So i can not add more on it. Perhaps with a displacement map???

Pha3z : the shader of the boots is done by hand in photoshop. i add some noise and a little bump to look painted.

Pureprplaya : not a mars textures just from the magritte’ s picture.

Another vieuw.

done with 3dsmax 6, scanline render

wow! is that the latest release from nike air?

well i think you’ve got two options here. Since all you’re doing for the wall/floor is throwing down images taken straight from the painting, you could probably get better results if you just did the boots in your 3d program and then superimposed them on the wall and floor in photoshop after rendering.

If you want to do the entire thing in max, to make it look optimal, you’d need to make all the rocks as geometry. You could probably do this fairly quickly if you modeled three or four rocks and then used a particle spawner to scatter them around on the ground (not sure… there might be a better way to do that)

Just using a bump map or displacement map is way too simple. The original painter saw 3d shapes and painted them on a 2d plane. What you’ve done here is tell your 3d program that you’ve got a flat surface with a texture that looks like rocks but there aren’t really any rocks there. This is very different :wink:

it still came out pretty good though! just telling you what to do if you wanted to make it totally optimal.

I have tried to improve the modeling of the boots.
Critics are welcome:)

If you want to do the entire thing in max, to make it look optimal, you’d need to make all the rocks as geometry. You could probably do this fairly quickly if you modeled three or four rocks and then used a particle spawner to scatter them around on the ground (not sure… there might be a better way to do that)

thanks Pha3z I will do this and and add laces to my shoes

man those boot meshes look damn good to me! beautiful!

this is an update with some modelling rocks

Is it better now???

hmmm… well i think you can see for yourself that the rocks make it look worse.
i guess i gave some bad advice on that one. you should probably just get rid of the rocks. Do what you think is best.

also… you changed it so the line where the ground meets the wall is straight. you should change that back to the old curvey line. looked much more believable and attractive.

I improve the integration of the rocks and the ground.

What do you thing about it?

It’s definitely getting there. One of the things I miss about your original though is the high contrast, the right side of the ‘boots’ were in deep dramatic shadow before, which I thought was really good.

I mean, I guess you’re working with the rocks and that’s why you’ve made adjustments to camera angle and lighting and stuff.

Personally, I look at the rocks and kind of shrug. I think your most recent one looks better than the one with lots of rocks, but really, I think you could either have even fewer rocks, or de-emphasize the shadows on the right side of each rock so they’re not so dark.

Really coming along, great work!

hey not bad not bad. You’re actually getting the rocks to look good :slight_smile: You need to work on their coloration, though. They’re all just plain single color. They should have some texture so they look more like real rocks and not just 3d computer shapes :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree about the lack of shadow contrast on the boots. The coloration and shading you had on the boots in your very original picture was outstanding!

now i think it would help the ground significantly if there were pits in the dirt. If you look at the original painting, there are pits as well as the bumps and rocks! be careful about using the photograph of the original painting to do this, though. the photograph is already a “rendered” image with full shading and lighting. idealy, you want all shadows and lighting to be generated by your renderer (they shouldn’t already exist on your textures). sometimes you have to wing it though and use what’s available :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot guys for your comments. It’s very helpfull for me. now,I’m working on the uv map of the boots. Then i will try to follow your critics for the ground.:slight_smile:

A new update. Render with vray.:slight_smile:

Wow, man. That looks great. The ground has turned out fantastic!

I think this is - dare I say - finished?

Awesome work man. Way to take a cool concept to the next level.