Magic Leap Finally Unveils a Mixed Reality Headset

The headset designs will get better over time.
Humans will wear what ever is in fashion. Note the photo like 100% wear hats. Today we don’t. These AR glasses will record and understand your everyday surroundings. Stock prices pop up over McDonalds. Display names and profiles of those who pass you on the street. Instant recall of where you left your keys. It’s way more important than overlay a Pokémon on a desk. It’s more augmented brain power. Once they are thin and Bono from U2 walks on the stage during an Apple keynote wearing a pair then they have a strong chance of becoming like the hats in the photo.

Poor example:rolleyes:

Those men are not having to experience
an entire environment through their hats.

No amount of wishful enthusiam
and money tossing at rubbish like this
Magic leap product, will make VR
become widely embraced by modern consumers.
Humanity seems perfectly satisfied with experiencing
“other worlds” Via 2D screens( (Games & Smart Phones)
until we get something akin to the Holodeck in Star Trek.

All it will take is a sleek and somewhat affordable take on this product from a company like Apple paired with a killer app like Pokemon Go and suddenly you’ll see every kid wearing AR goggles.

Magic Leap is almost the worst of these terrible “VR” things. Almost. Basically, anything with a headset is still actually worse, but only marginally.

Nobody wants any of those things. Nobody wants Bono either.

It’s garbage. Terrible resolutions, heavy hardware, pathetic technology all around. There’s nothing virtual or reality about it. It’s just like quantum mechanics - a sales pitch, and nothing more.

Until we have AR in a standard set of glasses, just regular lenses, with no additional hardware at all these concepts are simply Virtual Boy for millenials.

Guys. Since I guess none of you believe in creationism, you do understand that everything has a development(evolution) phase. Just as your mobile phone were clunky suitcases that weight 20 kilos, so will AR and VR googles shrink and improve rapidly over the next 10-15 years.

In technology these days, everything is an incremental upgrade. In the short run it looks like nothing is changing, but when you add these small continuous changes to gather, you get exponential growth and over the long run you will have your revolution. But, I agree. Right now AR and VR is over hyped. But check back in2025 and you will be amazed what you can do with it.

“…but can it play candy crush?!”

Dont assume what others believe in please.

Now Consider the number of people who had a very practical
economic reason to endure the vicissitudes of those unweldy early cell phones.
Those were not “entertainment” devices
They were prohibitively expensive work utilities for anyone from stock traders to cattle ranchers
who could justify their high costs.

In my own non scientific, casual observation
People seem much more willing to accept a much lesser tactile user experience
when they perceive the tech as accomplishing real work for them.
Look at early versions of our various 3DCC softwares
was any of it actually “fun”.

Google Glass was not big and cumbersome.
however IMHO, it failed for reasons other than the potential
privacy invasion of others concerns, often cited for its
lackluster acceptance.

People seem much less forgiving about ergonomics& even design
asthetics when it comes to their entertainment with all of the
competing options in today market.

And yet another stupid helmet/face mask contraption is not the solution
VR so desperately needs.

We started with cave walls and charcoal. Now we are at 8k HDR screens ( At my VFX studio at least ). Evolution pushed into stereo vision for most creatures on the planet and it had great reasons for it. Even A 24k HDR screen won’t help an Architect preview an interior better or an Auto Designer make a better decision about proportion. VR does that today. Try viewing your own 3d designs in VR. So much better of an experience and scale really begins to matter and you can walk around your design.

You can’t experience scale and interact with objects in your hands using a 2d screen with a controller. Yes the resolution is not great in VR now but good enough and getting better every 6 months. As we’ve seen with tech like Youtube, resolution did not stop it from being the most watched 2d medium.

Haha. Yes maybe poor examples for you.

Given an option most people would rather stand near a real Dinosaur, explore around Mars or Castle Black Game of Thrones ( pick up some weapons ) than view 10 inch picture on a non calibrated monitor? :slight_smile:

VR today is not Virtual Boy or Quicktime VR. I was around for those and they were crap.

= Should we assume a flawless prefect product that we didn’t even knew we wanted or needed, to be available at day 1? Then why wasn’t this product already done say 50 years ago? Who needs research and development if you can build anything you want at any time you want?

You counter your own point. It’s not day 1, for “virtual reality”. It’s not even day 3,000. It’s been in concept form for decades now, and still these garbage toy devices persist. I’m not remotely against new technology, but when these “inventors” waste everyone’s time and money promoting garbage tech it becomes the same old song and dance that we saw with 3D TV tech.

It’s a gimmick, nothing more.

Right now tens of millions of young “millenials” in 196 countries are sitting in their bedrooms, staring into a smartphone or tablet screen, experiencing very boring and conventional 2D content. It fascinates them at this age, because the young brain is easily fascinated. When you are under 16 or so, you are not very discerning yet, and your brain is forgiving of content that is, actually, not that great at all.

Just like my generation sat in a bedroom 30 years ago, and was staring at a Commodore 64 or Atari or Nintendo screen or watching a B-quality fantasy movie on VHS or Betamax tape. That was all 2D too.

My generation graduated from those early experiences to every more exciting stuff - hardware accelerated 3D games using the first Nvidia or Vodoo GPUs for example.

We spent more and more money on Playstation 2s, and Pentium gaming PCs, coin operated Arcade games with hydraulic or haptic feedback and more.

Hell, we saw pictures of early concept VR headsets in computer magazines in the 1990s, and also got to wear some VR headsets in Arcades that actually had them and said “me want this so bad!”.

We didn’t “get stuck” in our 2D bedroom experience as 8 to 10 year olds - we grew into teenagers and then tweenagers and wanted ever more exciting and innovative stuff as we grew older. We wanted it in 3D as well.

As the young millenials grow older they will want something far better and more exciting than 2D smartphones and tablets can deliver. They will want it to be 3D, lifelike, interactive and compelling.

VR and AR is currently the only thing on the horizon that can make that happen for the millenials. It and 3D cinema is the only thing that can give them “the next level” of interactive sattisfaction.

So VR/AR probably is not going to die completely at all. If they can make the headsets CHEAP, LIGHTWEIGHT and GOOD enough to entice millenials, then you are looking at a MASSIVE new market worldwide.

Seriously, what else is there on the horizon that millenials can grow into to from “smartphonitis” and “tabletitis”? Are they going to get superpowers or fly around in jetpacks in the next 10 years? Is somebody going to give teenagers little 2000 Dollar Tesla cars that they can afford to buy and drive around in?

It is VR/AR that millenials are going to flock to.

Grown adults like us are at a stage in our cognitive development where stuff that is “exciting” often strikes us as being “meh”.

But if we were 12 - 18 years old right now, an HTC Vive or Oculus Rift might be exactly what we’d be drooling over on the internet, or talking about excitedly in the schoolyard.

VR headsets aren’t cheap enough yet to become an affordable item for young people. Not everybody has affluent parents who can drop 2K to 3K on a VR setup that will become obsolete in 3 years.

Once this stuff is so cheap that it becomes like the Walkmans and VCRs and CD Players we had as young people, lots of young people will buy into this.

We grownups are NOT the main target market for VR/AR. It is the young generation that is the target, but the devices are not affordable enough yet for 12 - 16 year olds to buy easily.

As far as us grownups are concerned, our brains are far more focused on the real world at this stage than fantasy worlds or game worlds or even film worlds.

We are a target market for Augmented Reality when it gets really usable. We are going to stay in the physical world where we are now comfortable, but are going to have it enriched with AR graphics.

The younglings are at a point cognitively where their minds are wide open to “fantasy” and “make believe” and “imagined” experiences.

They are going to be the ones that voluntarily escape into VR fantasy experiences and VR games and VR fiction. That is what engages you at that stage - fantasy, and not so much the real world.

And they are going to be the ones who are so “wired into the internet” that daily AR use will be just about inescapable for them.

I’m sure that I’ll still be checking my emails on a conventional laptop 10 years from now - that is what I am used to.

Millenials will have their emails float as 3D text in front of their AR goggles while they walk down the street, or even teleconference with each other all the time using AR and telepresence, while we old farts still give each other audiocalls on boring telephones.

Always do this when you evaluate a new technology - ask yourself “if I were 16 years old today, had a lot of free time and was constantly hungry for stimulation, would I want to buy this?”

Again, we 30 or 40 year olds are NOT the target market for VR/AR. We grew up in an age where there WAS digital experience, but we didn’t really leave the physical world for long periods of time at all.

That doesn’t mean that millenials will be just like us at all. They may very well want to spend 6 - 10 hours a day in a VR world, or have AR capability at hand 24/7, basically wherever they go.

Just like our generation does not like to venture outside without a smartphone at hand, the millenials may not want to venture outside without a pair of AR goggles on their heads or in their pockets.

I have never said that it is DAY1, but with his reasoning, he wanted to have a prefect product (like a holodeck, brain interface thing) ON day1 without any development or improvement over time. With that reasoning you can as well say that we should have had internet in the stone age. Its like saying: “what was the point of all these stone tools that they were making, why didn´t they just go for a cloud service instead?”!..

Some reactions to the iPhone 10 years ago:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/01/09/world-reacted-first-iphone-10-years-ago/

You were the one who mentioned from “Day one” not me.
Now you make the classic mistake of exaggerating/distorting
what you beleive to be my “reasoning” to ridiculous extremes
and then criticizing those extremes.

The continued Failure of Companies to make VR a viable
&profitable medium for the mainstream, appears to be a very emotional
issue, for its online advocates, as many seem to be taking its utter failure
quite personally.

I am a bit of a tech junkie even as my 54th birhtday approaches in two days.
I own two PC’s, a macbook ,two Smart phones and 7 inch tablet.
I am all for new technology for productivity as well as entertainment.

I Dont own an actual TV as the cable companies
May as well be selling horse buggy whips
as far as I am concerned .

Of course we wont see “Star trek” Holodeck technology in the short term.
However the VR aspirants have had over 20 years to create something at a form
factor,a price and with content that will get avergage consumers excited.
So far thay have hurled various ridiculouse ,expensive closed system mud at the wall
hoping that some will finally stick…
and they have failed spectacularly.

That said , VR is wider use in professional training environments
such as Military & Medical.

However as a purely entertainment medium trying to compete
with existing platforms VR ,in it current iterations, has a difficult task ahead.

Here is where it is obvious that you will only accept a perfect product DAY1 or no intermediates product at all. Don´t blame me for your impossible* reasoning.

*Impossible unless you believe in technological creationism…

Blame the LCD panel manufacturers. If there has been such a thing as a small, 720HD, 60 Hz, affordable LCD panel back in the days, there would have lots of small companies making VR headsets immediately. You would have seen American, British, German, Korean, Japanese companies throwing VR headsets out there.

The resulting VR would not have looked “realistic” but rather “abstract and low poly” as GPUs weren’t very good then - think Playstation 1 or 2 quality graphics. But the VR headset side would have been doable, and all sorts of cool VR games could indeed have been developed - games like DOOM and QUAKE and others might have been VR games instead of 2D screen games.

LCD manufacturers didn’t get their shit together until smartphones, tablets and netbooks needed small HD panels in quantities of first tens and then hundreds of millions.

So if you wanted to make a “super advanced VR headset” back in 2005 or so, you would have first needed to invest hundreds of millions of R&D and manufacturing dollars into a new kind of LCD panel manufacturing plant capable of making the small HD panels required.

The per-unit cost of the resulting headsets would have been very high - inaffordable to the average gamer - unless it was guaranteed that you can sell in quantities of 10 - 20 million units or more a year.

The problem was never making the plastic headset casing, or the lenses in it, or the head tracking, the data cable and stuff like that. All of that was technically doable.

The LCD panels needed weren’t there. That basically left you with the option of sticking a small Cathode Ray Tube onto a headset. That’s heavy, bulky, low-resolution - you might get 800 x 600 pixels max on a very high end unit.

If some science genius had managed to make a smartphone sized HD LCD panel back in the early 2000s, we would have been in VR land for over a decade now.

One thing I agree with you on is the incredibly annoying software incompatibility of the headsets being pushed currently.

There is no reason why you couldn’t create an “OpenVR Specification V 1.0” from day 1, so that 4 - 5 different headsets from different manufacturers can be used to play any OpenVR game that meets that spec.

As for current VR headset sales - I think that a solid 80% to 90% of interested people are waiting for better and cheaper 2nd or 3rd Gen VR headsets to come along. I am one of those people.

The people who bought current Headsets are just like people who bought early LCD and Plasma TVs displays with the new 16:9 aspect ratio. They were very expensive. You saw them in rich people’s homes mostly. Most people stayed on existing CRT TVs for several more years.

When the cost came down and High Definition became a “thing” and movie content started to go widescreen, Plasma and LCD TVs started appearing in more and more people’s living rooms.

This is the early days of 21st Century VR. The early headsets are “so so”. They cost too much. There isn’t a huge amount of good content yet. The ergonomics are “meh”.

It is the 2nd and 3rd wave VR headsets - hopefully better and cheaper than today - where we will see whether VR headsets become a mass market trend.

As for the incompatibility of the headsets - each headset requiring stuff to be developed specifically for it - that is a bad enough thing to burn all manufacturers

That’s something that needs to be sorted out in my opinion.

I’m a bit surprised to see this resistance to VR/AR/MR in this forum, of all places. You folks who are criticizing it, have you tried Oculus and Hololens? I’m in the camp of those feeling that this is all very exciting tech, and I see incredible potential for all of it. I see VR (ex: Oculus) as more entertainment oriented for completely manufactured experiences, like Sci-Fi, “visiting” distant locations, and other difficult to achieve otherwise experiences. AR/MR (ex: Hololens) is a bit more of a question mark at the moment to me, but the technology is very impressive. I think that it will be more useful for non-entertainment uses, but who knows where software developers will take it.

@ThreeDDudeHave you try an HTC Vive and the Lab Experience from Valve Software ?

You left out Architecture :slight_smile:

Ten years from now AR glasses may be as lightweight as prescription glasses (e.g. 40 - 80 grams for the whole unit) or even integrated into contact lenses.

Advantage? You won’t need smartphones or tablets for anything significant anymore.

You know recent games where there is an on-screen marker or arrow showing you where you need to go next? The next objective, the next mission?

With AR, you’ll have that in a real city. Where is the building where my 3pm appointment is? Arrow. Where is the nearest ATM machine? Arrow. Where is the subway station entrance? Arrow.

Or you are operating a machine you are completely unfamiliar with. Which button do I press to do X? The button you need to press begins to glow. You just press it.

Its going to be exactly like games where you have a HUD assisting you. Just in real life, in real physical spaces and locations.

Emails and text messages will appear in front of you. You’ll be able to sit on a bus or train on the way to work or school and watch a film on a virtual screen floating in front of you.

The only strange thing is going to be that you’ll see a lot of people looking at various virtual things in the real world that nobody else can see all the time.

A person interacting with AR things floating in front of him or her with his or her hands in the air will look a bit odd at first, because only that person can see these things.

Kind of like when hands-free kits for cellphones first came out. You’d see people talking to themselves in the middle of a street, and think “Is this person talking to somebody who isn’t really there?” Of course they were really talking into a hands-free kit microphone.

AR is going to be huge in education. Kids will be able to look at a Ford or Toyota or Tesla parked by the curb, and through AR glasses see how the engine or gearbox under the hood works.

You’ll be able to walk into a shop that sells laptops, and see right into the casing of the laptop that interests you. You’ll see the motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM chips, SSD, LCD panel and all sorts of connecting wires and cables. You’ll be able to examine the build quality. No more buying a computer without having any clue as to what its insides look like.

Same goes for just about any other product. Washing machines, dish washers, vacuum cleaners. The shop assistant may use AR to let you look inside a kitchen appliance and demonstrate what goes on inside it when it is operating.

You may one day be able to look at your own hand through AR glasses, and see how the bones, muscles, tendons under your skin work when you use your hand. You may be able to look inside your own body in other words. At the organs inside your abdomen for example. See your lungs inflate and deflate. See you heart pump blood. Very cool stuff.

AR has many positive real world applications. The tech just needs to get better, cheaper and more usable.

If AR were commonplace today, you might be sitting in a park under a tree right now and see this forum floating in the air in front of you. :smiley:

The killer app for AR, in my opinion, will be useful information overlaid onto the real world. If you walk into a park, you may see a tree and know nothing about it. Your AR glasses may put floating text next to it that says its a Red Maple planted there back in August 5th 2003 that is currently 17 feet 2 inches tall.

The biggest problem with AR will be the same as the Internet - having to endure forced advertising everywhere you go.

You’ll be walking past some shops and - pop - a colorful soap bubble advertising a 30% Off Sale on batch and kitchen supplies at a shop 10 steps away will pop up, beckoning you to go inside and shop.

We’ll need AR Ad-Blocker extensions at that point.

I have been an AR and VR enthusiast for a few decades now, and It seems that older CG guys are the most resistant to the new AR/VR tech, even as it emerges as a clearly superior way of experiencing and working in 3D. The best I can do to explain this is to say that people are threatened by change, particularly when they have years invested in older ways of doing things.

One thing is certain, 2D display devices, input devices, and the 3D applications that use them are going to become the history of how 3D CG was 1st produced.