Machineflesh 2D Challenge Entry: Brian Read

Brian Read has entered the Machineflesh 2D Challenge.

My first seat booked in the 2D section.

/me puts up his feet and boots the popcorn microwave oven

Really just playing around at the moment but it’s a start.

Sort of saw this guy walking around some aliens world deserts taping the resources of double suns. It’s carrying a water nutrient mix on its back for a long stay in the desert. The solar panels not only collect energy but provide shade. The tail doubles as a storage battery. That umbrella thingy is too stop it’s brain getting fried.
When the battery is full it wanders back to one of the many down load station’s dotted around the landscape, sticks it’s head in a socket and dumps it’s load (um… so to speak)

Oh boy… Let me tell you like this - the most honest possible response is my spontaneous reaction the first second of exposure to this sketch; and that was a very wide smile, with a twist of coyote grin.

The only thing that doesn’t seem right, in my humble mind, is the anti-brainfry umbrella… Though I see the humour factor in it, but it also breaks away from the style in the rest of the concept. So I guess the idea is good, though it might need to be implemented differently to blend in properly.

All in all - fricking awesome if you ask me. The humongous scale is very appealing too.

Originally posted by JamesMK
[BThe only thing that doesn’t seem right, in my humble mind, is the anti-brainfry umbrella… Though I see the humour factor in it, but it also breaks away from the style in the rest of the concept. So I guess the idea is good, though it might need to be implemented differently to blend in properly[/B]

I suppose “wabbit” ears would look at bit strange too, but you’re right, was just mucking around with that one, :smiley:

No no no, wabbit ears are always in style, dammit :smiley:

But I gave it some more thought while washing the dishes here - and I envisioned an umbrella looking like that cliché’d mexican hat type thing with colorful balls hanging down in strings attached along the rim… Combine that with large and kind of airhead-looking eyes and you’ve got something really weird to play with.

just having some fun with this one

Mwaahhaaa! That’s just the greatest concept! And the eyes are perfect like that.

Oh boy, Brian!
This is just amazing :slight_smile:
Love the concept, chiefly for its simplicity and humour; not to mention your drawing style, which is something else as well…

Magnificent!

• always loved your avatar also BTW :wink:

Atwooki

Really love the concept. so different to everything else I have seen so far.

If you can keep that feel right through its going to be amazing. I can’t wait to see it develope.

Good luck.

Hmmm… maybe I should go with the chicken, at least I’ll try a few more concepts in that direction as well, just for a laugh if nothing else.

And many thanks for the compliment Chris, “really” like what you’ve come up with yourself. :beer:

Could find the exact thing I was looking for, because I don’t know the name of those blasted birds I was thinking about - but here’s something like what I was talking about yesterday::…

Your first sketch is a very interesting concept: I think you could develop the idea of an animal able to store energy and download it. Perhaps you coudl inspire in real animals that do so in nature, and evolve the concept to make possible big amounts of energy. I spetially like the way organic and battery-like forms are living togheter so naturally.

@ James : CLASSIC !! :smiley:

@ HDRI

I think you could develop the idea of an animal able to store energy and download it. Perhaps you coudl inspire in real animals that do so in nature

Just occured to me you know that’d would be great when going camping, you could just sort of plug your TV/radio/electric cooker into a handy squirrel or something. :smiley:

i love these drawings!!! its so funeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

enzo

just getting this out of my system before I get too far further

Ah, yes, it’s a duckified battle-helmet! I see it clearly now, that little head boinging about as the big fellow stomps around in the neighbourhood.

sproing sproing

Wabbit says: A-OK! :thumbsup:

The big desert beastie is great!!

And i’ve gotta disagree on the anti-fry umbrella… i think it makes sense. And it contrasts with all the mechanical gubbins. The detail on the back is nice too. And the feet have lots of ‘weight’. I think the battery might be a little over-long. It looks like he might get a bit unbalanced if there’s any weight to it. And batteries are usually pretty heavy…

The chicken’s fun!!

WHat’s the helmet for…? The solar beastie?

Originally posted by duddlebug
WHat’s the helmet for…? The solar beastie?

not actually a helmet that :surprised , bit of a long story but James got me on to laundry last night :scream:

oh…ok :slight_smile: