M-Forgeless

It´s a demo file (watermarked at the bottom) from Sachform Technology.
You can find it here: http://www.sachform.de/download_DE.html
(the second image)

Regards
Stefan

This is what my 3 weeks of experimenting/trying to figure out my way through
materials has gotten me.
Basically, I have a diffuse color set(red) then I pumped up the size of specularity (by
decreasing the size and falloff number, go figure???)
By putting the normal shader in the specular, under the rust shader, holes turned off,
this is the result.

Fantastic work! Looks like an MForge material from the MForge gallery, at the EITG site. Cool!
It´s also a good example that it pays off when experimenting hard enough. (well i must work harder on this, i think, even if i´m already retired young…;-))

Regards
Stefan

Hey Thanks Stefan!

I’m still playing with the materials and will post more if I can get anything better.

Mike Fitz
www.3dartz.com

Mike- you are really digging in to the material capabilities of EIAS “built-in” shaders.
There is a lot of power hidden in there when you begin combining shaders and maps the way you are doing.

Just a hint-
Try adding the Anisotropic shader to the diffuse channel on top of everything else in one of your tests.
In the shader interface turn on Isotropic layer “Blinn” with a large specular value (like 4 or even 8) and a small size value (maybe 40- note that smaller values make the specular bigger). Then give this a color. This will add even more “dimension” to the material.

Nice experiments.
Dave

Hi Dave,

thanks for the comments!
I will definatly give that a go.

While playing with the materials, I definately had a level of frustration as the documentation
is a little light as far as what one can do with the shaders.

I think the built in system has its limits, but I get the feeling the lack of documentation sort of creates an opportunity for these add on shaders, but the ability to create the effect is already in the shader system… its just that not many people understand the full capabilities of
the built in system… I feel like I’ve only just scratched the surface of what there is to know…

Mike Fitz
www.3dartz.com

Well, mforge definitely has some tricks that are just not possible with the basic system (It can create different layers that have independent reflections). But using that as inspiration you have certainly used the “basic” shaders to create some interesting materials and achieved an"mforge" like effect.

None of the shaders do much on their own. They often look “cliche” by themselves (like clouds, etc.) The trick is combining them together as you are doing to add a sense of depth to the material.

Also remember that you can use “blend modes” (just like photoshop) with shaders to blend multiple layers of noise together, etc. This is also a very powerful tool in combining different noise patterns and colors together.

Keep experimenting! Having a focused goal (like simulating mforge, or woodgrain, or whatever) really helps direct your efforts. Whenever I focus some time on things like this I learn a tremendous amount about EI and what it is capable of! And often there are some “happy mistakes” along the way.

Looking forward to seeing more…:slight_smile:

Dave

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.