LucasFilms toons to Singapore:

People don’t generally complian when a movie that gets made in the States and gets released worldwide. The filmakers make money off citizens in different countries because there exist a global market. Yet, the citizens in these other countries don’t normally reap any rewards from the production of the movie because the movie wasn’t made there. Like previous posts have pointed out, you could easily move to one of these countries to apply for a job. If you can demonstrate the talent for the position, then I’m sure you will get the job.

Oh no, the evil foreign countries are stealing hardworking American dollars. :rolleyes: How come it’s never: “Oh no, the evil American workers are stealing Japanese jobs in the anime genre! (insert whichever country and genre you please here)”. We live in a global economy. Welcome to the last half century.

As for cheap labor, you must have Singapore confused with Timbuktu (to use an over-used cliche).

Fantastic news, this. I know of numerous people back home who would absolutely rock that studio. :thumbsup:

It’s not evil foreign countries, it’s US companies looking for a way to get production done faster and cheaper. I don’t blame the countries these jobs are going to for accepting them with open arms.

Tax breaks for the companies (and sometimes some state money toward production) are just two of the many perks one can possibly get for taking work outside of the US. This has nothing to do with the people who live in those countries, but speaks volumes about the companies who do send their work outside the US borders in an attempt to cheapen the production costs.

I would bet that Singapore is offering some pretty heavy monetary insentives for Lucas to set up shop there, other than their ability to create “a style that will blend East and West and offer something not seen before”.

Come on now.:rolleyes:

I gotta agree with Floyd on this one.

George

With all due respect ,

I dont see anyone here tripping up when framestore\mill\etc gets the deal for the next blockbuster. But if its a studio opening up in another country other than UK its a doom signal for the industry?

Lucas ALREADY has a animation division here , he is opening up a new one , its not like he is closing the doors of ILM and moving to singapore where its “cheap”. First of all get the facts right , Singapore is anything but cheap , and there are lots of talented people there. Most of em have trouble coming and working in the US thanks to the ever strict immigration laws who challenge the legit worker and has no effect on the illegal worker whatsoever.

>its not like he is closing the doors of ILM

maybe not closing… but certainly downsizing.

Who told u hes opening a NEW studio here in Placidio?
Lucas is only closing the old one and shifting his staff here in San Francisco. So NO new jobs are being created and even if there are its like only a few number. So YEA! its like people are loosing jobs to people in other countries AND its cheap for lucas.
Well I am international student and I got the visas! Nothing is impossible if ur dedicated enuf.
After all u said it urself “if the demo reel is killer people get jobs” so what can stop these people who are working in foreign countires from coming here if their demo reels is KILLER?

As far as I know Animation feature division will be opened up in the new presidio section , not long ago there were 150+ positions for it posted at the job board of ILM.

“so what can stop these people who are working in foreign countires from coming here if their demo reels is KILLER”

A lack of US university diploma for one. Have you bothered to check the visa laws? we’ll have the chance to work in US after 4 years of education but many people do NOT have that opportunity.

hmmm r u soo sure?
ILM Current Job Openings

Obviously the positions were filled, since they started to recruit for the animation division a while ago.

As far as I know Animation feature division will be opened up in the new presidio section , not long ago there were 150+ positions for it posted at the job board of ILM.
That’s right. There is some confusion here. The Animation Division is totally separate from ILM, though they will share a talent pool (like Tom Bertino) it operates for all intents and purposes as a totally independent division (to make it easier to get projects). The US Animation Division is (maybe was) based on the old Pixar buildings at Point Richmond. ILM is still in San Rafael. Whenthe big move comes next year (most of) ILM and the Animation Division will be based on the Letterman complex, along with LucasArts and a a couple minor divisions. I can second that that not long ago they had a huge listing of job openings for the US Animation division.

hmmm r u soo sure?
ILM Current Job Openings

The positions for Lucasfilm Animation were posted on the Lucasfilm website, long before it was revamped. ILM never listed jobs for that, as I said they are separate divisions.

Lucasfilm Animation recruiting at SIGGRAPH 2004Lucasfilm jobs

From the looks of ti they would mostly likely recruit at SIGGRAPH for the US based studio.

If this new company is going to be creating new Lucasfilm projects, then I look forward to seeing what they produce. For now I’ll take them at face value and see if the East-meets-West blend turns out well. Good luck to them with the venture!

I still wasn’t impressed with the stories in Eps 1 and 2 though… :frowning:

Cheers,
Michael Duffy
Guy in America

ok I maybe wrong then

Lucas ALREADY has a animation division here , he is opening up a new one , its not like he is closing the doors of ILM and moving to singapore where its “cheap”.

Not this year, but maybe he’s testing the waters…

I don’t think that in the near future i.e 1-3 years there will be a major immigration of cg work out of US and the UK primarily because there isn’t a sufficent talent base nor a market out there ready for it.

A lot of great talent in the various region of Asia might not have the mentality or experience to adapt to a major studio pipeline or system with the various custom s/w and stuff being used for the studios to invest heavily to setup somewhere halfway round the world not to mention the logistics of it.

A lot of the problems that the industry is facing isn’t external competition but simply too many companies for too little share of the pie.

But it will definitely be getting there. Its is at the end of the day, a business. About da moolah for the studios. If its worth the hassle and risk… eventually it will happen.

Its just global competition no diff from any other line.

More news. http://www.straitstimes.com.sg/topstories/…,264979,00.html?

Hmm. Like I said, this is an international studio. It is a studio to assemble the best of the best around the world. So it doesn’t matter whether Singapore is ready or Asia is ready. It is like any other studio that has international talents. The only difference is the location. That is all.

And the studio will be producing international content created at the studio by an international team.

That’s just sad coming from you. Yes, i wouldn’t be surprised if Singapore IS offering some heavy monetary incentives, but your following sentence sort of dimiminished the SE Asean cg industry and its talents.

Anyhow, as mentioned, this is an international team we’re talking about. So I don’t really understand what all this fuss is about. It’s just another location. What’s better, the standard of living in singapore is lower than that of the US or UK.

I’m not realy bothered whether or not this new studio has been created to blend East and West ideas, it’s GL’s venture and has every right to invest where he sees fit.

S.E Asia has been an excellent growing hub for business in the last 10-15 years, so kinda makes sense that the ever-growing animation industry starts to look there. I also think it’ll be good a place to create an international animation environment, in which assembling people from all around the globe could be far easier done there, than in the US.

As a business, the next rational step for Lucas is definitely to expand beyond the Western hemisphere - afterall they are already a juggernaut (in the western hemisphere). No countries are more inferior or superior then the other, it just so happened that in Singapore…there are probably a multitude of reasons (mainly in geo-political and economical aspects) which looked favourable for them for their expansion at this juncture, hence they picked Singapore. If they want to expand at a different time, and another Asian country happened to possess the elements which are favourable to them, they will go there.

And…it will really be silly if they would allow the standards to slide just because they aren’t in Western soil.

Weata from New Zealand.