LOTR TT : extended edition or not? And an opinion on the 1st extended dvd

Hello.

in the other LOTR thread about GOllum and posters, someone mentioned waiting for the extended TT dvd boxset …

well, I picked up FOTR extended edition and I must say I didn’t enjoy the film as much with the extended footage. It felt a lot more laboured and lengthy (it was). I also didn’t feel as though the extra footage added a lot more to the film. The fact that the dvd had NO option to play the film sans additional footage was not a good thing imo. What do you guys think?

Well, the flick on DVD in about a week’s time here and I was wondering if I should wait for the extended version. Any word on what sort of stuff you’ll get with the extended DVD edition. The bookends that came with the first flick were nice although hardly essentials.

I haven’t saw the movie yet… so i dont wanna wait till november… cumon… :shrug: i dont realy care about the extras/how do they make…gollum or whatever… i NEED to see the movie !

The extended edition was great IMO. The details that were left in the normal version are not important for the plot, but beautiful, and helpful to know more abbout the inner side of the characters.

heh. i also thought that the extra stuff on the extended made it much more closer to the book. a lot of subtle details here and there. i actually thought the theatrical completely paled in comparrison.

I love the Extended edition as well, especially because of scenes like Galadriels gifts - little things that were special in the books :slight_smile:
The statues that came in the set are awesome as well - I have them here on my desk. The Gollum statue that is coming with the TTT Extended edition Collectors set is going to be totally cool too - I can’t wait!

I am going to buy both versions simply because I am a collector.

Originally posted by Leigh
IThe Gollum statue that is coming with the TTT Extended edition Collectors set is going to be totally cool too - I can’t wait!

SOLD!!! TGG = gollum whore.

Fellowship v2 ROCKS!!! Laboured and lengthy? Lengthy yes, laboured not on your life! The new scenes are damn good additions, and now i refuse to accept v1 as the full movie!

gah, all this heretical talk is making me dizzy…:surprised

i liked the exteded version bunches! loved the gift scene with Galadriel and the new hobbit town intro…
i cant wait for TT special edition ext footage dvds…
:wip:

Most of what the FoTR extended edition added were things that weren’t in the movie but were in the book. I guess the answer would be that extended editions are worth if you’re a big fan of the books (at least IMHO).

There is one thing, though, in TTT, Frodo tells Gollum that he knows his real name, if you hadn’t seen the extra scene with Frodo and Gandalf in the extended edition of FoTR, then you wouldn’t have a clue of when did he learn that… maybe they’ll do something like that this time too… :slight_smile:

Extended edition all the way… I will likely rent or borrow the v1 release once or twice to keep me patient, but TTT EE is the only one truly worth owning, the other is just for collectors and suckers IMHO.

even if you arent a fan of the books… the extra 2-3 dvds that came with the extended edition were reason enough to get it. i mean hell… theres like over 12 hours of bonus stuff on that, ranging from the digital stuff, music, filming, bigatures, costumes, gallery of concept art, the perspective stuff ( man did that ever freakin rule ) the weta workshop stuff, the compositing stuff,…and a hella more… i cant find one reason why not to get that…

Getting the 4 disc set is, as AW said, worth it for the extras alone. So much info you will go mad!

I have the FOTR extended edition, but I don’t remember if there is the option to view the original version as we as the extended?

The extended FOTR, is, unfortunately, not as good as the theatrical. Honestly, while I liked seeing the extra scenes, and while they were informative and good on their own, disrupted the flow of the movie to an extent. If you see directors comment on cut scenes in other DVDs, often you’ll hear them say they cut them cause they disrupted the pacing/flow of the movie. And since this IS a movie, not a book, I’m glad they did cut those scenes out.

So again, if I want to see the original, do I need to buy both, or does the extended include them all? I’d like to know now, and not have to wait a few hours before I get home to see for myself! :stuck_out_tongue:

actually they cut a lot of the scenes to make the “under 3 hour mark” not every single scene disrupted the flow. galadriels gifts disrupted nothing… the extra few quick cuts at the end where boromnir fights makes the fight a lot more complete it seems.

the scene in the marshes when they were going toward rivendell added to the “journey” for such a long distance they travelled. in the theatrical it felt like they left the village and 2 second later they were at rivendell… also find out about aragorns mother from his song/explaination.

the only real moment i thought that disrupted the flow is where bilbo talks to frodo when the bagginses are trying to find him during the party…( that part was just badly done IMO ),.

i dunno. it just seemed like the theatrical was too much an action movie with very little story to it. “get ring from point a to b” ( where frodo was putting on the ring every 2 minutes ) while the extended fleshed out a lot of the characters out a lot more. showed us more of their life styles, etc.

Yup, the extras were amazing. Tee extended edition is worth it for the extras alone. absolutely. I had a fantastic time looking at them… :drool:

That’s your opinion.

I thought the song was not required, neither the gifts, as well as some others, mostly couldn’t wait to get the **** out of the shire in the new version. I didn’t dispute that getting more information and learning minor details about characters is nice and all, but if you look at it objectivly as a movie they were not needed. The key word being needed.

well then if you talk about NEEDed scenes then all you technically need is like a few scenes… you can skip all the ring wraith scenes since they dont add much ot the story at all. just have them in once and skip the rest, show gandalf going off with his horse but not where hes gone to, since it doesnt have too much from frodos/ring point of view, cut all the pan scenes ( gosh theres more than a few in there eh :wink: ) cut the pub scene and just have aragorn go up to frodo and say “hey there laddie, nice shoes.”
skip the party at the beginning. … way too long. just have bilbo dissapear when gandalf shows up, and have gandalf go “wtf?!”.
lothlorien. skip that too. just have galadriel give em her goods and let em be on their way. boat shots… no need. just have em depart and arrive. lengthy fight at the end? nah. just rid of boromnir and let frodo go. im sure theres about 3 hours of fat in there.

hell. just give em a teleport ring and skip the entire movie. none of it is needed. just jump to the volcano scene and just end it. :smiley:

( yes. i like the word “just” )

Originally posted by TheGreenGiant
[B]Hello.

in the other LOTR thread about GOllum and posters, someone mentioned waiting for the extended TT dvd boxset …

well, I picked up FOTR extended edition and I must say I didn’t enjoy the film as much with the extended footage. It felt a lot more laboured and lengthy (it was). I also didn’t feel as though the extra footage added a lot more to the film. The fact that the [/B]

Right, cause all that extra stuff in the book is stupid too, why couldn’t they have just left us with a butchered version of a true classic? :surprised

Originally posted by Vushvush
[B]That’s your opinion.

I thought the song was not required, neither the gifts, as well as some others, mostly couldn’t wait to get the **** out of the shire in the new version. I didn’t dispute that getting more information [/B]

LOL!

That is funny, cause without the gifts, the story ends about 15 minutes into ROTK.

LOL that is funny.

Both of you can stop being geeks about it, and be mature and objective.

Ambient, you know what I mean when I say need, and if that response is the best you can come up with … well…:thumbsdow

And as far as the gifts, do you not think that seen will be used as a flashback and/or the scene in ROTK will be changed? You think they are going to put something in ROTK that only geeks that bought the extended DVD (including me :blush: ) saw?

Guys, we are supposed to be mature here, lets all think before we post! :thumbsup:

posting on a message board to call someone a geek. Now that makes sense…:wink:

and speaking of thinking before posting, maybe you should think before insulting a mod:surprised