Looks like that Cintiq tablet Wacom was teasing about is going to be Android.

That’s possibly true, but I’ve never seen a tablet or laptop with an ultra book form factor packing a geforce 680m. I’m pretty sure if it did it would overheat immediately, melt the gpu, sap the battery in 20 minutes and probably burn your skin.

EDIT: Lenovo USED to offer wacom digitizers in their “w” series of pro notebooks. They were 17-inch, with pro level gpus and multi-core cpus. Hell, they even used to offer them with slide-out second monitors. The laptops were monsters in terms of weight and size, but they offered a full workstation on the go. Apparently nobody bought them because they don’t offer them any more. :stuck_out_tongue:

They haven’t gotten up to the top-end GPU’s, but there’s a good MSI with a GTX 765, which isn’t bad, fairly useable and a big improvement over other the low-power ultrabooks without getting something that’s like 2 inches thick.
I also haven’t found any good laptops with just a touch screen which would be very useful to have with Windows 8.

Whoa! One thing that completely slipped through the radar for me was the Wacom creative stylus! Its a bluetooth pressure sensitive pen for the ipad. 2048 levels! Still looks like your sketching with a crayon, but a PRESSURE SENSITIVE crayon! I’m mildly interested… ah who am I kidding? I’ll buy two.

i think the reason stylus laptop doesn’t sell is that when you upgrade, you throw away both - unlike a desktop with attached cintiq.

Just received the Companion Hybrid, I originally had the 24HD, but decided to sell that and drop down to this, although the screen isn’t as big, the resolution is fine and it’s much easier to manage.
As an Android tablet it’s very good. Has all the features you could want. The only issue is that the speaker is on the bottom of the back, so it’s facing away from you and you’re probably covering it up most of the time.
It has a Wacom app for controlling things like the pen and the keys on the side. There are two drawing apps installed, Creative Canvas, and Manga Canvas. Creative Canvas is what you’ll be using for regular sketching. It makes .psd files and you have support for layers and of course the Wacom pen. If you want a bit more functionality, it also supports Autodesk Sketchbook Pro with the pen and pressure sensitivity. When you connect it to the computer, you can then use it as a regular Cintiq and it works quite well. The cable may not be long enough for some desktop arrangements, my computer is on the left so it has a bit longer to reach and is a bit of a stretch.

The build of the tablet itself is quite nice, while it’s around 4 pounds, it’s not too heavy to hold while sketching. It does come with a stand if you don’t want to hold it. The glass on the screen is not as thick as the 24HD so you won’t have to calibrate as much if you change viewpoints. It also comes with a very nice carrying case that has places for the tablet, stand, pen, and cables. And the material is quite nice and should keep it in very good condition.

The only downside is that for creative work you can only do sketching as a mobile tablet. The Windows version of course can run things like Photoshop and even Zbrush since that doesn’t require much graphics power. The problem with the Windows version is that it’s just not powerful enough, and if you’re going to spend $2,000 for something like this, you must be able to use it on any of your projects. If they release a new Windows version that can also be used as regular Cintiq like this one can, then I think it’d be worth it. Hopefully they’ll listen to customers and the next release will have that (and a Haswell processor).
As a mobile sketchpad it’s certainly capable, and I like it more than the 24HD since it’s easier to manage and I can easily use it with multiple computers.

Overall I’m pretty happy with it.

One thing I don’t like about the Surface Pro is that the cursor is every so slightly offset from where the pen tip is. I assume this isn’t a problem with the Companion?

Last week I had a surface pro for a week to use and never noticed that. I found it a joy to work with both for sketching and zbrush stuff. The new one they will announce next week should be even better we will see.

Calibration will fix it when that happens. All pen tablets have that issue since there’s glass over the screen so your pen isn’t directly on the screen. The distance on the Companion is much much less than other Cintiq screens so you don’t have much problem with that. And if your view changes enough where it becomes an issue again you just recalibrate which is fast and easy.

Well, I’ve ordered the 512GB Windows 8 Companion. Will let you know how stupid I feel/am once it arrives & I’ve given Photoshop and ZBrush a good trial on it.

Review of the Companion by Marc Brunet

//youtu.be/BGde8B5dRf4

And here I was almost settled on getting a Surface Pro… That review is really not doing my wallet any favors. :stuck_out_tongue:

same here, I wasn’t even considering it and now I’m thinking about getting one… :argh:

I was bitterly disappointed by the price tags of these things. I bought at Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 instead and am pretty happy with it.

Hmm, really? What I kept hearing throughout the video were comments like “it’s not THAT bad” or “this is actually quite decent”. For almost twice the price of the competition I expect a bit more than just “decent” and “not THAT bad”. Only at the end of the video he praises the tablet, his logic basically being: it’s worth the price because other Wacom gadgets are just as expensive and it’s a real computer (doh). And he didn’t even show it in action - not really. Navigating a bit inside of Zbrush and tracing a few lines/changing colors in a pre-existing drawing inside of Photoshop doesn’t count…

I realise I’m repeating myself when it comes to this but what do you consider the current competition to be?

The Surface Pro, for one.

Funny thing is, the real features that’ve been drawing me to the Cintiq are the hotkeys and the stylus, mainly for easy viewport manipulation in Maya. I didn’t even stop to think that those camera tools are easily accessible without using shortcuts. So I may have talked myself back into the Surface camp. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok, so taking the (as yet unreleased) Surface Pro 2 as the closest comparison and picking the closest model in that range in terms of hardware specs (i5, 8GB RAM, 512GB HDD) it is $1800 USD vs the Cintiq Companion’s $2500 USD. That’s $700 USD difference. On the surface of it (oh!) that’s no small difference by any means, but let’s be realistic, it’s not 50% cheaper.

For me the other important thing to take into account is that the Cintiq is designed specifically as a graphics tablet for artists & creatives. Yes, the Surface seems to have have similar features but they are not its primary function. The pen has fewer buttons, there are no face buttons on the front, no touch sliders, radial menus, specific application support or drivers. On their own these all might seem trivial and I’m not saying a Surface can’t be used as a portable, professional graphics tablet, I’m saying that to do so will involve hurdles that the user will have to jump through all to replicate the functionality that comes with the Cintiq as standard.

You’re right, I was comparing the cheapest models among each other without taking a proper look at the actual specs of the basic Surface Pro 2 models, my bad! Still, it’s 700 bucks… For a slightly better CPU, a slightly bigger screen and a couple of side buttons? Well, let us know once you had a chance to take your Companion for a ride…

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.