Looking for a plugin to export OBJ sequences

Hello,
I am looking for a plugin that can export C4D animations, namely to OBJ sequences. I was using Riptide Pro for this (another great plugin), but it is no longer being supported by the dev and does not work with R20 or above. But it had all the best features that an export plugin should, like ignoring hidden objects, flipping z-axis, exporting a single MTL file for the sequence (instead of one MTL per OBJ), etc.

Anyone know if something equivalent is out there?

Thanks so much,

Davide

Is there a reason you’re choosing Objs over modern and better formats like Alembic?

I believe Nitrobake is compatible with R20 and R21 and can export obj sequences.

There may be other alternatives too.

legacy.
There is a lot of old (and new) software that supports obj,vrml,etc. And relatively speaking, not a lot of software that supports so called “modern” formats. It often makes far more sense to support old, well established formats, despite their limitations, than it does to support the latest and greatest trending formats. Even old garbage formats like VRML are probably used more in everyday life, than modern formats by armies of people who are not doing what you think the world is doing. Lots of people still get sent old crap from clients, and have to figure out what to do with it, or get asked to send old crap back, and figure out htf to do that. That is not going away. So although old formats are becoming less used, due to alternatives, they are not to be ignored as if they don’t exists. Some times people have to deal with the real world out there. Exporting a sequence of obj’s seems not to be rocket science, and should be a no brainier in an expensive app that has supported the actual format since for ever, but not really done any work on it since 1995 ish.

I understand all of that, that’s why I was asking. Some people are locked into legacy workflows for good reason but some are also locked in because old habits die hard. If Davide was in the latter camp I was going to offer assistance with FBX or Alembic if needed/suitable. That’s all. I wasn’t being a format snob.

Riptide existed because Maxon.

@Infograph,
Yes my software that I’m exporting to requires PSR (point, scale, rotation) to create morphs that can be animated into a congruous order (I use Daz Studio). It is the only way at the moment that I am able to import animations from other software into Daz (which does not require a rig).

Alembic format doesn’t matter to me, because when I package a product to sell, it won’t reduce the size of the overall package. Alembic is more or less a remote version of OBJ sequence, offsetting the size of the working project file by saving the sequenced files separately. Daz Studio already does this when I package up the OBJ sequence, it creates a separate data file, so a customer’s animations can be loaded and saved into very fast and light save files. So Alembic technology doesn’t really help much in this case anyway.

@EricM
Thanks, NitroBake does appear to have a very basic OBJ sequence export tool. It will get the job done for sure. I was just hoping that there existed a more feature-rich plugin like Riptide Pro had. Just having the ability to export visible objects (ignoring hidden objects), alone, saved me SO much time in my workflow.

-Davide

agreed.
That could of course be said for a lot of plugins, that basically fill gaps.

what would a current, modern way to deal with this? Is there one and we are just not using it? Or are you saying that even developers stick with old workflows even though they could develop a new one?

If that’s addressed to me,

It’s just a question of file or scene format exchange. Modern formats like Alembic have an advantage of being able to store all manor of vertex data, one of the most important being velocity to accurately represent motion blur for deforming objects.

There’s nothing wrong with Objs in principle but for animation they are just a sequence of still meshes so rendering with motion blur is problematic as there is no actual changing geometry. This doesn’t concern Davide in his usage. Some people like me have our own ways of working and once we’ve set up out small scale vfx pipeline we don’t tend to change unless change is forced on us. When I started with Houdini we settled on using Alembic for interchange, before that we used a potpourri of formats, whatever worked.

Since the beginning of 3d software we’ve always wanted slick scene and asset transfer between applications COLLADA, FBX and Alembic were all touted as being the answer but weren’t, however, we might just have a chance with Pixar’s USD given the players who are adopting now and those who have stated plans to adopt it. Importantly both big game engines have announced they’re supporting USB and according to Ton over at Blender many studios he knows well are well underway with switching their pipelines over to USD.

The really interesting thing about USD it’s more than just an asset and scene file format it’s an open source VFX pipeline so it’s going to have a dramatic affect on how we do 3d. I predict tools like Katana to become far more mainstream and game engines will become the renderers of choice with the advent of hardware based ray tracing. I rather doubt anyone is going to be able to compete with Unreal and Unity in renderer development.

Mike Eudin posted this on here just a few weeks ago…

https://mikeudin.net/product/file-sequence-exporter/

Nice, thank you!