Live portrait : Antonio, Serena De Biasi (2D)

Title: Live portrait : Antonio
Name: Serena De Biasi
Software: Painter, Photoshop

Another portrait I painted thanks to a real model.
This time I had the opportunity to “directly” work with him : he spent 6+2 hs in my studio and I must admit that it’s an amazing sensation to work with a tablet and a monitor like with real colors on a canvas.

This time the goal was a realistic representation of his face. To obtain it I used a lot of tricks. The first one is the “double window” under photoshop. With this option you can look at 2 windows showing the same pic but with a different zoom. It’s very useful to see how the whole image appears with the colors you are applying locally. This helps a lot especially in main-volumes definition.
The second one is the use of a simple greyscale : I don’t know why but I find more easy to work only with greys and do not manage all hues during the starting steps. So how to pass from greyscale to colors? Well, put a layer in overlay mode and apply your colors on it, then merge all and start to paint your details and manage it as a normal layer.
The third and last one is curve manipulation under ps. I find it very useful to enhance the 3D effect and manage the little lighting-errors.
As I wrote I used these tricks under ps but all the “pure-painting” process has been done under painter cause I feel better painting at it :slight_smile:

These are few image-steps.

Be patient, it was my first time with a live model here in my studio, I had no saving-method to show you more steps. I hope I’ll be able to produce a better documentation next time.

Painting from live models is very fun indeed! I think it’s your best painting to date. I love the loose, yet realistic feel of the piece. Very good altogether. :slight_smile:

The lighting is fantastic!

great light efects, good job

:thumbsup:

Holy cow this is awesome work Serena.It has that natural feel that you only get from traditional media.It`s like I can almost feel the brush strokes.Great stuff.

Cheers!

Great portrait, Serena! You must give us some lightning lessons!! :bounce:

I was about to tell you something like “Keep up your wonderful work”, but I guess isn’t necessary to tell you that, your production is great!

Congrats, cara! :smiley:

Regards

Bless :wink:

I’m really, really, happy. I know that it’s more a practice than an impact-piece but all your comments warm up my heart.

Thank you all !

very lifelike, lighting’s grate

Hi Biasi-gal :slight_smile: Simply superb lightwork :thumbsup:

-cheerZ- :wavey:

Very good work with live model.
It`s very interesting janre, I like painting from nature too:)
You showed the mood and emotions of this man very good and I think your next work would be better and better:)

Amazing and beautiful!

Now this I realy like!

Thank you very much, too all. I hope I’ll be able to obtain this kind of result also in “portraits coming from my mind” but I know it will be very hard.

great work Serena De Biasi . nice colors and good technical method .

keep up this kind of pieces :thumbsup:

:slight_smile:
Woaw!
Great lighting.
You’ve catched the right expression from him.
Really good!
bye

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.