Lightwave/Bodypaint Textureing Tutorial

Hi gang theres a little LW and BP2 tut here
http://vfxworld.com/index.php?atype=articles&id=1987
All the best Robin;)

BodyPaint truly rocks - I’ve been getting really into it lately. I am really impressed with Maxon and their consistent attention to their users requests - BodyPaint just keeps on getting better and better.

Yup it does kinda work :thumbsup:
You should try the UV tools ,I find they compliment LW’s pretty well,hope your well and busy.
All the best Robin

extremely informative, that may definatley cure my UV woes.

R

just wondering, on the way back to LW when your done texturing does it split those BP layers and port the various maps to the correct LW surface layers, bump, spec, color, diffuse.

I’ve been readin, haven’t quite found that out.

or do you indivially export each layer out and import into LW,
and set them up.

“BodyPaint truly rocks - I’ve been getting really into it lately. I am really impressed with Maxon and their consistent attention to their users requests - BodyPaint just keeps on getting better and better.”

Bodypaint REALLY rocks! Hands down the best purchase I made last year.

Their customer support and attitude towards their customers in general is the best there is IMHO. Interface is a little disorienting, especially if you’re going back and forth between BP and LW.

Sometime soon I want to see if it would make a goood gateway between Maya and LW.

I haven’t used C4D, but its feature list seems pretty competitive with LW. I was at Siggraph in San Diego and while NewTek was demoing LW 8, I noticed some folks from Maxxon watching as if they were making mental notes. I wonder why hasn’t C4D caught on? Maybe its got a bigger hunk of the market share in other parts of the world?

(I don’t think I’ll switch to C4D)

“just wondering, on the way back to LW when your done texturing does it split those BP layers and port the various maps to the correct LW surface layers, bump, spec, color, diffuse.”

It works just the way you would expect it to, each attribute will go to its correct place in LW. I tend to start mu UVs in LW, perfect them in BP. I create blank image maps for each attribute, and then paint at will in BP. The projection system the brushes can use are excellent. I tend to work one attribute at a time in BP, so I can see that attributes effects in B&W, or color.

Originally posted by G3D
I haven’t used C4D, but its feature list seems pretty competitive with LW. I was at Siggraph in San Diego and while NewTek was demoing LW 8, I noticed some folks from Maxxon watching as if they were making mental notes. I wonder why hasn’t C4D caught on? Maybe its got a bigger hunk of the market share in other parts of the world?

I have also wondered why C4D isn’t used in more studios and by more professionals. I have the entire Cinema 4D 8.5 Studio Bundle (in other words, the WHOLE shebang - all the modules) at home and it is a truly superb program. And it actually always has been - in fact, I seem to remember that Cinema was the first program to have really great looking caustics, so they have had their fair share of innovations.

It’s also a very easy program to use, and its renderer has become very powerful. The new 8.5 update even has great SSS built into it, and the Sketch & Toon shading system is absolutely outstanding.

All of these awesome features, wonderful stability, a beautiful rendering system, plus an insanely low price make me really wonder why the hell it isn’t a lot more popular that it is. That said though, its popularity certainly has increased over the last few years.

Originally posted by Leigh
BodyPaint truly rocks - I’ve been getting really into it lately. I am really impressed with Maxon and their consistent attention to their users requests - BodyPaint just keeps on getting better and better.

Leigh,

I had gathered in the past from threads comparing this to DeepPaint 3D, that you leaned towards DP3D over BodyPaint.
You have never really said so outright, but just analyzing your comments, that has been my impression.

Do you still feel that way? Do you prefer one over the other? If so, which one?

Your choice would greatly help me in making a decision because I value your skills and opinions highly.

And yes I have tried the demos of both.

Originally posted by G3D
[B]“BodyPaint truly rocks - I’ve been getting really into it lately. I am really impressed with Maxon and their consistent attention to their users requests - BodyPaint just keeps on getting better and better.”

Bodypaint REALLY rocks! Hands down the best purchase I made last year.

Their customer support and attitude towards their customers in general is the best there is IMHO. Interface is a little disorienting, especially if you’re going back and forth between BP and LW.
[/B]

hi, just in case you’ve not played with customising your interface in bp you can make it pretty close to lightwaves. you may already know this, but you can make the interface all text for a start (right click the icon palettes and choose text to add the text, then right click again and deselect icons. then you can use group windows, to put together layouts with various windows/icons. then finally you can go through completely change all the menu’s if you wish (including the contextual ones) and of course customize the viewport navigation to be more lightwave like (reverse orbit is in the general preferences). and finally you can skin it with a number of different skins, or even make your own with photoshop. of course i apologise if you know this already, but if not some of that might come in useful in order to aclimatise you more with BP, or maybe might be of use to other users thinking of purchasing bodypaint.

Originally posted by nessjp
[B]Leigh,

I had gathered in the past from threads comparing this to DeepPaint 3D, that you leaned towards DP3D over BodyPaint.
You have never really said so outright, but just analyzing your comments, that has been my impression.

Do you still feel that way? Do you prefer one over the other? If so, which one?
[/B]

Yes, I did used to lean towards Deep Paint 3D. That was before BodyPaint 2 was released. Before BodyPaint 2, Deep Paint 3D had more features, such as Projection Paint.

BodyPaint 2, however, is way ahead of the current release of Deep Paint 3D. DP3D is a cool program too, but I much prefer BP - it is a lot more like Photoshop, which totally makes sense to my workflow. I also find that BodyPaint copes far better with really massive textures (5000x5000 and upwards), whereas DP3D chokes with those.

Deep Paint 3D - :thumbsup:

BodyPaint 2 - :buttrock:

I recently had to learn c4d in a crash course as that was all the studio used. In the right hands its a very impressive tool. A few studios here (chicago) have a a few seats of C4d but I’d argue from experience that C4d isn’t used in more facilities because its not particularly portable to the primary appz of many studios which is usually Maya, Max, XSi and so on, and in software years its pretty young. Its has that hobbyist thing too. It just needs Big Screen credit then I’m sure it will get more mileage.

How precise can you get with Bodypaint now? I remember using Deep Paint awhile back and was pretty unimpressed because you couldn’t really paint fine details that well.

Shade ,it will be as precise as you want it ,just depends on the resolution of your map and how close you zoom in to paint.

nessjp ; Deepaint is a good product ,but i think for overall stability and workflow Bp2 has pushed ahead and i know that Maxon will be working on it again to improve it even more,

Thanks for the replies.
I am comparing the two (yet again) because I own DP3D 1.x with Texture Weapons that I got off Ebay awhile back for about $400.

Texture Weapons has been been replaced by Deep UV so DP3D w/DUV is essentially what I have only alot newer. My version, being as old as it is, is pretty cool yet rather crude. I got this knowing that I could upgrade to the current version for around $400. This $800 total to get the newest version of DP3D & DUV is still pretty good considering these list for about $1400 combined.

There is a new video showing DP3D 2.x on #DBuzz that makes it look killer and a new dedicated site for DP3D called mec4d. All of this makes me like DP still, but…

Now that BodyPaint 2 is getting the raves it has been getting, I am not sure of DP and I can get a “competetive upgrade” from Maxon for BP2 for around $500 by giving my DP license.

I do not use a Mac or ever plan on using one so the PC only thing is no big deal to me.

Also Painting portion aside, do the UV portions of each app compare well against each other? With the UV’s being an internal part of BP I guess I am just confused that this app is 1/2 price of the two combined by Right HEmisphere (DP & DUV) and am just stupid to assume that more money means better product. Especially when it is twice as much.

I was never able to successfully get the demo of DUV to work because of conflicting issues with my current old and legal version of Texture weapons. I did not want to uninstall since this program had the most f’d up installation process ever of reboot, try this, try that, reboot again, etc… It was a friggin joke. I am sure this has been improved in newer versions of DP and DUV, but this annoyance is also being weighed into my comparison.

Bodypaint is simply awesome!!! I see even XSI has a plugin for exchange of materials. It seems to be coming very widely acknowledged as a professional application.

Originally posted by Mwai Kasamale
It just needs Big Screen credit then I’m sure it will get more mileage.

I guess that depends on your definition of “big screen credit”. So far, C4D has been used in quite a few big name pictures. Among the best known are Daredevil, Harry Potter 1, Spider-Man, Attack of the Clones, Lara Croft Tomb Raider, Austen Powers, Inspector Gadget, Charlie’s Angels 2, Planet of the Apes, Small Soldiers, Universal Soldier 2, Pearl Harbor… The list goes on and on really. Naturally, no one program is used to produce a movie’s fx, but C4D has been “in the scene” for more than a couple of years. Just take a look at the openin sequences for Spider-Man or Daredevil. C4D. Look at the mattes for Attack of the Clones. C4D (courtesy of ILM’s then matte artist Simon Wicker) It gets used a lot more often than one might suspect.

What C4D needs is A) more publicity and B) to actually get into the hands of more fx house big wigs. Issue A is really something that’ll have to follow B. Maxon needs to prove that C4D is a viable alternative/supplement to the other packages. C4D has really become a hell of a package, something I might not have said prior to R8. (Better not praise C4D too much on a LW board. ;))

As for BP2… Yep. It does indeed kick butt. :slight_smile: Like Leigh, I used to be a DP3D diehard. I picked up BP2 a couple of months back. I can now say, without any reservation, that BP2 has made me its b**ch. :smiley:

BP2 is a definite “must have” for anybody serious about texturing.

“Look at the mattes for Attack of the Clones. C4D (courtesy of ILM’s then matte artist Simon Wicker) It gets used a lot more often than one might suspect.”

I know that in the past ILM used Electric Image for work like that both previs and final shots. I wonder if that is still the case. I still use it from time to time; I wonder how well used it is in tv/film these days. Its price sure came down over the last few years.

I think Newtek missed the ball here,
NT should of developed a Vertex Paint + Aura2 (Bodypaint) type system and Integrated to Lightwave as Lightpaint!

But hey, Maxon have done a damn good job… (instead)

I tried DeepPaint, i liked some of the brushes, but it was awkward, and i found painting in 2D more intuitive…

I have only recently tried Bodypaint, and it’s much better than DP3D.

The fact that Robin and Leigh regard it highly, should be
a fairly good indication of it’s power, by itself.

Thanks for the link!

Interesting articles. I haven’t use a Bodypaint 2 yet which looks very good. I’m going to download the bodypaint demo right now and will play it.

Thanks for the links

btw- Your female model looks cool :thumbsup:

Yeah, they kind of missed the ball, but…

There are alot of modeller and animation software packeges and most of these sell quite well. However, as far as 3D Paint programs go, there is really only DP3D and Body Paint. There used to be a LW specific version of DP3D, but that no longer exists.

With only these two available, Newtek could still develop one and I bet it would kick ass sales wise based off LW sales.Even if they made it just LW specific it would still sell like mad if priced reasonable for like $500.

Also DP3D does not run on Mac. BP2 does, but think if there was one by Newtek that is Mac freindly like LW, that looked like LW’s interface and was part of the hub.

You could switch back and forth via the hub to Lightwave, Layout and Lightpaint. Could even make a button to access it within the surface editor.

WORD!

I don’t feel that Newtek missed anything really. I think that Newtek could make a kickbutt texturing app, but why should they? Why reinvent the wheel? Let them focus on what they do best. Lightwave. It’s clear that they’re focused on LW. They’re good at it. Why mess with a winning formula by splitting their resources? The story’s a bit different for Maxon only because of C4D’s existing modular design. Newtek is doing just fine. No shame in using a 3rd party app like BP2 or DP3D.

From an outsider’s perspective, as LW’s not my mojo, a GhostPainter equivalent for LW would really be nice. (Maybe there already is one. Eh… What the hell do I know? :p)

Originally posted by G3D
I know that in the past ILM used Electric Image for work like that both previs and final shots. I wonder if that is still the case.

A friend put it to me this way. “Whatever gets the job done.” A company may make Maya or Softimage their so-called official app. However, that doesn’t stop the artists from introducing other apps into the pipeline. Heck, I’ve heard of a number of artists who’ve made excellent use of Wings3D in a production environment. Whatever gets the job done.

As for DP3D vs BP2… BP2 has to win. Hands down. On a purely economic level, it just has to. DP3D just isn’t worth it anymore when you factor in the practical need for DeepUV. For the most complete DP3D texturing work, you’ll need DeepUV. Simply put, one is really incomplete without the other. At least that’s how it feels. DP3D needs the extra UV editing power of DUV. For that, you’re looking at $1,800.

Compare that to the $800 of BP2, which already has solid UV editing tools. Talk about overpriced. Right Hemisphere’s product becomes much less attractive at a $1,800 price point.