LESSONS LEARNED (Queen of the Rocketmen): Lets TalK!

LESSONS LEARNED (NEO-RACE): Lets TalK!
First I would like to congratulate all who were able to finish
their entries for the current challenge. I am very happy with the quality of the entries that were submitted.

So Tell us
[ul]
[li]How did you guys felt about the dateline? How did you guys felt about the extra time?[/li][li]How did you guys felt about the supplied materials?[/li][li]How would you guys have felt if I had provided filmed material? ( I always have to ask this)[/li][li]What were the biggest challenges in finishing the challenge?[/li][li]What were the biggest roadblocks?[/li][li]Was the challenge complex enough?[/li][/ul]Looking forward to your comments

-Roberto

The first time I’ve ever took on a challenge, it was great fun, but right now I am exhausted (my own fault :slight_smile: )

I definetly think that the toughest part of the whole challange was to get the story straight. I concentrated way to much on the individual shots, so much that the connection between them got lost. I really should have made a simple pre-viz from the start to easy the pain :slight_smile: But I know myself, I probably just would have made the pre-viz almost just as complex as the final.

I think that the added deadline was relly good for the final result. It’s a bit boring because it feels somehow like it was cheating, but since soo many needed it i guess it was the correct thing to do.

This was the first time I’ve ever done a challenge on the net, it was fun but it did have it’s ups & downs. I think next time I might team up with a few buddy’s & see how we do to ease the pain of it all. =0)
[ul]
[li]How did you guys felt about the dateline? How did you guys felt about the extra time?[/li][/ul]The deadline seemed fine in the beginning which made me think what I should take on & what I shouldn’t. So I knew from the beginning I wanted something that looked good but wasn’t a film in itself that I wouldn’t be able to finish by the end of the time given.
The extra time I didn’t need really but it did allow me to go back through what I’d done & fix a few things I wasn’t too pleased with also it allowed me think more about the whole finished result. Without the extra time I would have been hard pressed but I think I could have done it just in time.
[ul]
[li]How did you guys felt about the supplied materials?[/li][/ul]The supplied materials were good the models were great what I used, ok they needed tweaking here & there but I’m sure those guys had deadlines too.
The concept art I saw was pretty inspiring even if I didn’t use it, it was nice to see other people imaginations on the screen.
Storyboards I hoped there would be a lot more of since I’m not too good at that part. So I lost a few days/week of modeling animation setting up doing this.
[ul]
[li]How would you guys have felt if I had provided filmed material? ( I always have to ask this)[/li][/ul]I don’t think filmed material would have helped much for me I just went back through my DVD collection & watched a few films I thought were relevant to the subject.
[ul]
[li]What were the biggest challenges in finishing the challenge?[/li][/ul]The biggest challenge for me was the lighting & only having one PC to simulate & render on (as with everyone else I’d imagine) for the explosions etc things take soo long to work then re work over & over again you get to a point where you just have to say, that’s it move on.
[ul]
[li]What were the biggest roadblocks?[/li][/ul]hmmm I think I was very lucky as I don’t remember being stuck. If there was a roadblock I got away from the PC for a bit & thought about it & found a way around the problem.
[ul]
[li]Was the challenge complex enough?[/li][/ul]YES but inspiring enough to keep pushing to the finish line.

Thanks again guys.

Steve

[b]How did you guys felt about the dateline? How did you guys felt about the extra time?

Well I could have used another month or so to be honest. I was not able to complete all my shots. This seemed like a big project a little bigger then normal. Maybe with a team I could have done way more.

[/b]How did you guys felt about the supplied materials?
The models were great. Just not set up for animation.

How would you guys have felt if I had provided filmed material? ( I always have to ask this) Maybe but it seems like if you did that everyones might look the same.

[b]What were the biggest challenges in finishing the challenge?
Telling my self to move on. I got stuck redoing and redoing the missile exp I stopped thinking of the big picture.

[/b]What were the biggest roadblocks?

Keeping Final render stable.

[b]Was the challenge complex enough?

It was more of a overall challenge then just fx. Fx wasent the focus the Rocket man was. It seemed more like a mini trailer challenge. I found my self doing a lot more then a normal fx animator would be. I was texturing, lighting, scene setup, animating cameras and planes just way more involved then just doing a fx challenge based on explosions or a water sim. It was still very fun though.
[/b]

[ul]
[li]How did you guys felt about the dateline? How did you guys felt about the extra time?[/li][/ul]The extra time was much appreciated, I just wish I used the time more wisely.
[ul]
[li]How did you guys felt about the supplied materials?[/li][/ul]The quality of the supplied materials is outstanding, I really liked Japetus air machine. However I decided to use my own models and materials so that I am able to gain a greater understanding of the whole CG workflow.
[ul]
[li]How would you guys have felt if I had provided filmed material? ( I always have to ask this)[/li][/ul]For the above reason it is unlikely that I would have used any film material as part of the finished product. I may have used it for reference though.
[ul]
[li]What were the biggest challenges in finishing the challenge?[/li][/ul]Self doubt is a big one. Overconfidence in my new machine is another big one. I had an great ambitons when I started this challenge, and at times that can get in the way of the whole planning process. My storyboards and animatics should have been more detailed, so I had an idea of how the finished trailer would come out. I think the overall result lacked alot of polish due to poor planning.
[ul]
[li]What were the biggest roadblocks?[/li][/ul]Poor planning, Maya 2008 kept crashing when I was working with fluids, so major scenes had to be edited from the final trailer.
[ul]
[li]Was the challenge complex enough?[/li][/ul]Yes, but I have learnt so much.[u]

Thank you Rob. :smiley:
[/u]

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.