Lens Effects Glow - Distance From Camera

If this one won’t, then i really don’t know anymore… :smiley:

Well, that one worked. And it rendered correctly.
So, thank you for that.

Just wish I knew what the difference was between yours and mine, cuz I’m sure not finding it.

Howintheheck did you attach a file? I’d like to send you my version so maybe you can tell me what I did wrong…

Okay, I think part of the problem might have been that I was using a lightsaber blade built out of one that had a Morpher modifier on it. I don’t know…I just know that if I create new geometry, if works.

Also, just using a single capsule didn’t give me quite the result I was after, so I left a bright white, solid one in there for the blade.

This is the product I came up with:

It’s not exact, but it’s very close, and I know that making it perfect is a matter of tweaking a few settings… finally! You’ve given me a solution that works, so thank you very, very much! :slight_smile:

psigh I take it back…it doesn’t work after all.

It looks great from the side…but if you point it toward the camera, the color changes and the blade-cynlider becomes obscured.

:banghead: Dammit! So close! :banghead:

That’s because you are using two volumes. Use just one. To get it right, you may need to tweak ratio between max value in Volume shader and RGB level in the output node. Higher Max value will make blade more transparent and dim, which you can compensate for with raising RGB level, to get the glow back… or making it denser with lower Max value, and compensating for strong glow by reducing RGB level.

No, that’s not it. Look:

I’ve taken out the solid white core, just to keep things to the bare minimum, no ambiguity.
Both of these saber blades are using the same Volume, the same max setting. But when we’re viewing one perpendicular to the blade’s direction, it’s a dark blue; point the blade at the camera, and it’s bright-ass white with a blue halo near the tip.

What I think is going on is that the volume’s, um, substance–whatever MAX thinks the volume is made up of–is being treated as though it is Additive, so the more of it that we’re trying to look through–the more dense it is relative to our view–the brighter it gets.

That’s how it’s supposed to work. You are looking through emissive volume. The more of the volume you see at certain point, the more light you see. You may want to reduce max value and RGB level so that the difference is not that big. That being said, you are still missing the glare effect on top of the volume. That’s why it doesn’t look like the one in the movies.

Okay, you have a point…but one thing I noticed about the Glare shader: you didn’t do anything that looked like it was specific only to the lightsaber blade, like assigning a Material ID to it.
In fact, giving it a try, the Glare shader completely washes out the entire scene where the lightsaber fight is going to take place:

So how do I make it apply to the sabers only?

I also somehow completely missed the Gradient map part, so that was my bad.

…aaaaand, when I do what you did with the Gradient Ramp, I get this:

No idea what I’m doing wrong, there; I followed all of the steps in the video.
I also don’t see why that is supposed to work; the gradient’s effects are only visible from one side. Highlights on one side, darks on the other.

The glare should be adequate to scene lighting. If there’s so much glare then scene lighting is not correct in the first place. There should not be need to tweak glare strength per object if all of the lighting is done right.

As for the other example, you probably mapped the blade wrong, so that gradient stretches along width, rather than length of the blade.

I think you should first get familiar with 3ds Max basics on something simple rather than taking on lightsaber fight scene straight away. There are tons of good resources, mainly Digital Tutors. They also cost close to nothing these days.

I really don’t think that’s the case. The lighting looks perfect without the glare; I think I should use a glow if I use anything at all.

As for the other example, you probably mapped the blade wrong, so that gradient stretches along width, rather than length of the blade.

Nope. I tried everything, from every axis to every rotation of the map itself, to different shapes of maps…nothing works. The closest I can get is a map that wraps around the blade.

I think you should first get familiar with 3ds Max basics on something simple rather than taking on lightsaber fight scene straight away. There are tons of good resources, mainly Digital Tutors. They also cost close to nothing these days.

This isn’t straight away; I’ve been using MAX for ages.
Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwf08Rj4dwE <— 8.5 minute animation, “Ray Gun Rebecca - Assault on Ryndar 3”
Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCPoiTiddpc <— 9 minute animation, “Rational Station - Episode 06: Vivos et Mortuos”

But, up until now, I’ve been pretty much only using the MAX standard materials, rather than Mental Ray; I just haven’t needed anything else.
And, seriously, I’ve tried absolutely everything you’ve suggested, and a lot of it just doesn’t seem to work as advertised.

Hell, I even have a character wielding a lightsaber: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg3LmroKyN4

It’s one of my outros for my YouTube videos.

…and if MAX had an option to keep the glow the same size relative to the object, this would never have been a problem.

You’d think they’d know by now that some people would want that…

I was trying to do something similar;

A wireframed landscape with neon glow effect on it. I was expecting the distance influence to work too.

The problem it’s i’m using default scanline render. I used volume light in some places like the neon flow for the eyes of the character and other, but the landscape would be impossible to make with light points to do the shape of the landscape. At th emoment i gave up the idea of the neon on the landscape wire.

RENDER%20-%20ADVAN%20LIGHT%20%5BOFF%5D%20-%20FOG%20TEST%201

Have you tried texture mapping it? A little bit of a small glow on top for the silhouettes.
The fog might be a problem if it is supposed to be illuminated by the lines, but if you get your transition and the colors right it might just about work.

Wow, this thread is ancient! Heh.

For what it’s worth, I did eventually figure this one out:

The problem is that I was using the wrong material for the job; instead of Standard, I should have been using Arch&Design, turning on its Glow feature, and then tweaking the settings until I more of less got what I was after.
Okay, it’s not perfect, but more or less gets the job done. More or less. (The less is how the blade seems to actually be blue, and not just the glow, despite the base material being white. And that it fades quite a bit the further you get from the camera.)) But the glow is always the same size relative to the blade.
(It’s great for spaceship engines, too.)

That same technique could be used for your landscape…like this:

…if you were using MentalRay. (I tried it with Scanline and it really, really doesn’t work.)
I’ve tried finding an equivalent in Scaline and I don’t see it. Sorry. I know the frustration of discovering that the effect you want only exists in a different renderer…except that a different effect you need is only available in a different one. It stinks.