Lady of Shalott, Yang Zhang (3D)

Title: Lady of Shalott
Name: Yang Zhang
Software: BodyPaint, Maya, mental ray, Photoshop

at the beginning i wanted to do a portrait of a young girl, who has a love-story-sorta background. But then i decide to put her in an environment where fits her story.Therefore,I remembered the oil painting of John William Waterhouse,my favorite artist master.Because I hope that my own female role is in such a beautiful picture,I changed the heroine and environment of the original painting.
I was not attempting an exact pixel for pixel copy of the painting.I changed the lighting,perspective,tune and atmosphere in the original.

I used a long time to finish it.I learned a lot of knowledges of traditional art,3d and 2d techniques from this process.

Here is the brief introduction about the process of making this work:

Foreground and character:I made the model of the brushwood in maya by hand,because only in this way could I control the scene and get satisfied with final effect. I modeled the character in Maya and Mudbox,textured in Bodypaint and Photoshop,Rendered by mental ray.

Midground and woods:I made woods in Maya by plug-ins xfrog v4.0 and 2D texture plan.I must thanks for the xfrog, It can make enough details of 3D plants which can be used in Matte Painting.

Background and waterfall: I used some digital photos for Matte Painting, including mountain,waterfall and trees.

Special:I made basic hair in Maya by plug-ins JoeAlter.Shave,A.Haircut and Nurbs, then refined it in Photoshop.I rendered Water surface and inverted reflection in water by mental ray.And I used 3S shader for skin and candles.
I hope you will like this works!

Thanks for your comments,everyone. i have wetted and darked the blanket where is close to the water and added some color reflection on her clothes. Now the first peice is my second version.
you can find more detail in 89#,90# :slight_smile:

you could know more about WaterHouse from this:
http://www.johnwaterhouse.com/

Beautiful image! Congratulations, Yang!:slight_smile:

Excellent image, very nice attention to details.

[plugged]

PS: you might want to upload the closeup elsewhere, they load very slowly at the moment.

No words !i think you did better than the original oil painting,John William WaterHouse is also my favorite artist,i like your change and design.very fantastic and reality.congrats!
5*from me

:thumbsup: so nice piece here, U have done a great atmosphere. Someone would mention about the wet blanket, it could be little more darker, but it‘s just a personal experience, the image is still amazing!

HH OY my god.I like this one.
I like this very much. Although I smelly have hey but to see this work, I thought I should not go am a heshang.
nice wonderful profect haha.

i really like her skin,hair and the backgroud,is the background a matte painting???
please excuse me.can you show us your skin shade network???your wireframe??Can you make a tutorial about how to use xfrog???
thank you! 5****:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
choice ,it`s a masterpiece

This is a masterpiece!! Amazing work!

such a great image with such a strong first impression. The hair colour is just(lovely) right, the textile nicely done. Integration in the environment is close to seamless(just a small tree on the left that seems to have a different lighting, just imo) with the xfrog plants and matepainting.

Reminds me of the song ‘The lady of Shalott’ by Loreena Mckennit

10stars+choice+expose+…
you’re our pride ZHANGYANG:applause:

woo,I have been waiting for this one.i think this is one of the best beautiful pictures on cgtalk. Looks intriguing, really nice atmosphere! Nice expression too, congrats!20star:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

A very respectful and beautiful take on a classic work.:slight_smile:
The lighting on the character against the generated woods feels a little off, but you’ve captured the mood wonderfully, especially tying it in so well with a photo matte.

OMG! Really nice work.

A ZA A ZA Fighting! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ZY84

very nice work!:thumbsup:

very well done image. Nice work on character and cloth

i absolutely have no words , amazing work , 5 stars :thumbsup:

thanks everyone:)

To ThirdEye:
Thank you very much! i uploaded the closeup on two websites

to 3Dmiao:
Many thanks! thank you for helping me a lot.

to stalkeron:
Thanks for your comment! at the beginning i wanted to make all the background all by xfrog,but i found that this is a very terrible work.therefore,I used xfrog and matte painting both.

to erilaz:
Thanks very much! I will make Careful consideration about your advice

good photo! zhangyang

5 Stars it seems, and well deserved. I’ve seen images of almost photorealistic character a good few times now and have been amazed each time I saw them. However this image, is the first image I’ve seen with a photorealistic character (I thought it was a photograph of someone I knew when I first glanced at the thumbnail) and an almost photo-perfect background. :thumbsup: You’ve done a wonderful job, infact my only gribe is the rusty chain that I never noticed until the detail shot, it looks rather flat and 2 dimensional, but to hell with it, you’ve done a great job.

Another beautiful image from you! I think it was only a month or two ago that you made frontpage with your “Revolution” piece. Well, this one is well-deserved as well. :slight_smile:

Congrats! :thumbsup:

P.S. How about posting some wireframe views like you did with “Revolution”? :slight_smile: