Jeremy's water trail explained... Well, partially anyway =)

I have tried to imitate Jeremy W’s water trail thingy wich I got in another thread and some asked to post the results if it worked. Although I only managed to get half results, meaby someone can pick it up from here and tell me how to continue in turn (if they weren’t already further along).

So here goes:

First you need to create a sphere with an emitter as a child. The emitter should lay horizontally on the same level as the plane you use for the water surface. Particle speed is zero. Emitter settings I used are: Birth rate= 300, lifetime= 29 with a 5% variation.

Than you need two materials, the first should be your average water material and the second a copy of that, but with a proximal in the alpha (proximal target= emitter). My Proximal settings: start distance= 0%, end distance= 35% and intensity= 50%.

Put the bhodinut distorter in the bump channel with a 2d noise in the ‘texture’ box (I used FBM scaled up to 450%) and a proximal (target= emitter) in the ‘distorter’ box. My Proximal settings are: start distance= 0% and end distance= 9%, intensity= 100%. To clearly distinquish the trail you might want to change the color to red, as in Jeremy’s example.

Now you just need to aply the ‘normal’ water material to the plane (water surface) with the other water material (with the proximal’s) on top of it. And animate the sphere through the water surface.

This is only how to get the trail behind the sphere but as you can see in the pic below, it’s a far cry from Jeremy’s original example. I’m not sure how far others have made it but I hope somebody can help me continue…

hey kirl you got a link to the original…Jeremy W’s ?
thanks man…i looks pretty funky what you have…

Sure, here it is…

Unfortunatly, he didn’t really go into details… :shrug:

well looks pretty good to me…
ya need the ripple to display stronger and more pronounced…imho…:stuck_out_tongue:
not got time at moment to look at it…might come back to it if i get chance tomorrow…

did you see this file?
http://www.c4djug.com/8_0/sample81/81.html#2
:shrug:

Yeah, not that exact file but something similar (also from the other thread). Below is my try on that one. But that’s yet another way to achieve it, thanks alot…!

And another view from my file above, but now without the red.

sweet man you make me look stupid.

Jeremey W. did not go into detail for a reason. this is like his secret, he is all into people figuring it out on their own.

However I tried and never got even close.

man you rock Kirl, and of course a big props to Jeremy w, for figuring it out in the first place

Thanks, he hinted it was inspired by the “writing two.zip” wich is reachable from the same page below, so I decided to check it out.

And yeah, all credits naturally go to Jeremy W for putting these things up (however slim on details).

Now we just need to get it to the same level as his example anim by changing the proximal and emitter numbers around… :hmm:

Meaby he even used multiple emitters with multiple stacked materials…

didn’t mdme_sadie come up with something like colour changing with speed…its not something whacky like that is it?

its probibly more like some sort of falloff.

amybe proximal maybe just a copy of the layer in red with the alpha channel tied to the object and a gradient or somthing to make it smooth

Ehm, Jeremy’s posted a tutorial himself… http://www.jeremyw.com/C4D_Stuff/proxWater/

Yes, this is true. Here was my odessy in trying to figure out one of his effects:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=159727&highlight=jeremy+damage+effect

He posted no hints on that one…but after looking at all of his other examples about a million times over I finally managed to get something like it.

Wow, this one is ANCIENT… :slight_smile:
How in the name did you end up in this thread…?

Thanks for the link though, bigjko… :thumbsup:

No problem. It was in an old post in the Tutorial thread.

But yeah, I’m still having trouble getting it to work even with the tutorial. The proximal shader doesn’t cover a larger area as I scale up the object that the proximal is targetting. Anyone know what’s up?

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.