Is silo going to be updated

maybe its release on steam going well will help motivate them to carry on with silo, gotta stay positive

Considering 2012 passed and the only communication was “we find ourselves to pressed for time developing other crap and exploring our inner thoughts and feelings, and the user base to demanding and such a energy draining nuisance that we can not even be bothered maintaining a forum (which we never post on anyways) for you pesky people so we will simply shove that load of trouble over to the cgtalk cemetery” I find it hard see any positives…

And motivate them how? Silo is considered dead in the 3d world, and this is bound to hurt their sales, something they could easily have prevented or stalled if they wanted…now, what company has the opportunity to take easy measurements to maintain profits…and does nothing? :curious:

I rarely experience crashes, but I can’t UV shit in Silo. UV window seems to go blank after a while. Not to mention that before it does that, it’s a rare thing it will show the proper unwrapping of the UV mesh, even if I force it by Unwrap UVs using LSCM. If the UV window goes blank, I need to restart Silo to get it working again. Also, the 32-bit architecture, the lack of alignable workplanes, crappy Scene Editor… Man…
Silo V2.2 is a great modeling app, but so unpolished at the same time. What the hell is wrong with Nevercenter? Why don’t they give us updates? Have they really lost their the bloody source code like someone suggested? Jeez.

ive had another email off them which is kind of a piss take lol. in a previous email they say, “silo is still very active on our plans”, so i emailed them asking when they would be doing even a small update to 2.2 and they reply with “Plans are in the works, but no definite time frame yet.”… not very active plans lol

If you can get it for £30 go for it ,its a bargain.
The main reasons for crashes I have found is due to bad geometry,like stray verts
crossed faces etc.

I just bought Silo 2. 50 euros off steam.
Never crashed, works very fine on a Win8 with I7 and 8 gig ram.
Quetsion … what renderer do you people use?

I bought a Silo license back in the day when it was still 1.4 with the free upgrade to 2.x. I wouldn’t have thought, that x will stop at 2. Half a year ago I stumbled across digitalfossils’ NVil (formerly Voidworld), I even think I might have read about it in the Silo3d forum. The irony is: this is 1 guy developing the software for the past 2 and a half years and constantly pumping out updates, almost on a daily basis. I hope he doesn’t burn out! To keep this project going, he recently released the first commercial version (79USD$), but all the releases from before will stay free. At least he said that in the forum. You can download and use the payed version, but you wouldn’t be able to export the meshes. Point is: the feature set exceeds Silo by far, but with some effort to setup your tools, you can model as quickly as in Silo and then some. I would bet my horses on that 1 guy, instead of flogging a dead horse.
It still has some downsides, like it’s only available for Windows, is a 32Bit app, you better not open the UV Editor just yet, it could use some cleanup and reordering of some stuff as well as some improvements in other fields. But at the end of the day, Silo looks like a vestigal stump compared to NVil. Although I do not know, how well it handles highpoly meshes, it once crashed on me, when I tried to retopo a highpoly (140k) reference. Well, Silo crashes on me all the time.

Someone asked for renderers: Mitsuba (it’s free & fast)

I can’t agree more with Vaquero.
I’ve been testing out Nvil for the whole past week and without doubts it offers much more power than Silo ever did. And, like Vaquero said, all that accomplished by one guy who’s pumping updates very frequently. Also, the program seems to be pretty stable and, by what I’ve seen on its forum, any bugs get patched up pretty quickly. Also new features are added on constant basis, even features that users suggest. It really should put Nevercenter to shame.

Current lack of UV tools doesn't really bother me as I'm doing UVing in 3D Coat. I plan to use NVil as a pure subdivision modeling only, and in this, it's seems to be great.

Silo update can be found here. :rolleyes:

interesting update you found there… and speaking of SILO, here are some lowpoly models i did recently (around 5K tris) for a game >>> ENTIRELY done in silo (modeling, UVing, smoothing groups, etc.) rendered in Toolbag

Nope, not an update for Silo, as with Silo i can model whatever i want. 3D-Coat does not allow you to model what you want:

As 3D-Coat creators we ask you not to use the program for making pictures which would increase vices, especially pictures that would provoke dissolute thoughts. We all have responsibility before God and before mankind for everything we’re doing.

As seen here: http://3d-coat.com/company/our-voice/

Do not support religious extremists, no matter what kind.

Hellagot; your post is misleading. Hope it wasn’t intentional. Here’s a fairer quote from the 3D Coat page:

As 3D-Coat creators we ask you not to use the program for making pictures which would increase vices, especially pictures that would provoke dissolute thoughts. We all have responsibility before God and before mankind for everything we’re doing. Do we make this world better?

We can not (and don’t want!) control your activity. That is a request and not a legal demand. We completely realize that many people may dislike the request placed on the official web site and that it may cause less selling. However, our conscience demand is more important for us than our income.

Respectfully yours, Pilgway staff.

You can indeed use their application for whatever you wish.

eok

No it is not misleading… What they say is: You are not allowed to model anything that we wouldn’t accept because we believe in god, but we want your money, so in doubt, give us your money and model what you want, but you are not allowed to.

Do NOT support religious extremists, no matter of what kind! - nothing misleading about that.

ok, this forum is weired, it eated 2 of my posts, thing is: they do not allow you to use it for whatever you want to model, they ask you not to model anything that ‘would not approve before god’ but on the other hand they want your money, so they won’t stop you if they earn money… this is the worst type of religious extremists :frowning:

@eok: my post was not misleading in any way, because i linked to the original source, everyone can decide for him/herself, i decided not to support religious extremists. In long term, you never know if they’ll just take your money, or bomb you away.

Do NOT support anti-religious extremists, no matter of what kind!

Being asked not to do something is not quite the same as not being allowed to do it.

They ask you not to produce images that may offend their unusual religious sensibilities.

Of course you can produce any type of imagery you like with it (within the bounds of the law); but perhaps they may not top-row it on their forum :]

Well, for me it is… plus the fact remains, by buying this program you directly support religious extremists… and it is NOT a silo update (not to mention that it is half the price of zbrush but they charge for updates, which pixologic never did since i own the program - which is a couple of years. So until now i would have payed more for 3d-coat then for zbrush - assuming they would have built in the same amount of new features, which they haven’t… that would not have been a smart decision, even if i ignore the religious part)

Interesting. Your five first posts are five rants about a single software. Very trustworthy character you are, Mr. Hellagot. And a very professional if I might add. I love your competent style… Yes.

According to you ZBrush 3.x to 4.x. upgrade is free, right? So I can purchase ZBrush once and no need to worry about paying for major version upgrades in my life, because they come free? That's good to know, man. Is it the same with Autodesk's Mudbox? Maya?

Sarcasm aside, one has to pay for 3D Coat upgrades, that’s true, but only when it’s a major version upgrade. All upgrades within a major version are free. So, it’s not anything new in the software world.

Sorry if this post sounds too harsh, but I don’t think it’s fair to publicly call people extremists just because they believe in something. I’ve read a lot of threads on their forum when I was familiarising myself with 3D Coat and I haven’t seen a single post about religion. So how did you come to that conclusion completely eludes me.

Well, I just got sold on 3D-Coat. =)

Thank you, and God bless you Hellagot!

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.