Indian Animation CEO Expects Eightfold Swell in Subcontracting

Quote from Toonzone:
"The Telegraph (Calcutta) has a profile of Maya Entertainment Limited, a large Indian animation contractor set to animate projects for BBC and Nickelodeon in the coming year. The CEO of the company, Rajesh Turakhia, said that the Indian animation industry is expanding at such a rate that he expects the number of animators in India to increase from the rougly 6,000 there are today to 50,000 in the space of a mere two years. Turakhia cites the twin advantages of computer infrastructure and English-language skills as evidence for his bold prediction.
"

>>Link<<
>>The Profile<<

Hi Roberto,
i’m sure that is gonna be good news for lots of guys around here…but frankly speaking…it’s all too confusing sitting here…there are big boys all over the place recruiting like crazy and giving good paychecks…and the fact remains that most of them are doing test projects…not many studios here can boast of some kick-ass work…

in the last 1 year i’ve seen hoards of people shift jobs…even cities for that matter…things are yet to get setteled here…and i’m hoping big time that a studio opens up in bangalore…its been 3 years and bangalore being the IT capital ( though i dont relate animation and IT) of India hasn’t seen a single new studio crop up…

some of the big players i constantly keep hearing about in the 3d arena is
Crest Communications - mumbai
Dataquest - Hyderabad
and the others keep surfacing every now and then for all the wrong reasons…
i’m really waiting for the dust to settle down…
cheers for the good news and hope its all worth it…

u r right andy!! though a good news for us, we hope MEL would not be just another company!!

I agree that this is a very good thing for the Indian economy and potenital workforce.:slight_smile:

But, on the flip-side, this huge boom in globalization is hurting animators in my own country that are losing work to Indian subcontracting, or having to compete with the dramatically lower salaries the Indians are receiving for their contribution to this industry (salaries that cannot uphold a standard of living here in the U.S.).

Overseas outsourcing has become the #1 issue for the Democratic Party in this year’s election campaign, and already we have seen 100,000 workers go on strike to protest Indian outsourcing in the telecom industry. The backlash is rising, and will only gain momentum as the new year approaches.

As more work is outsourced, more pressure will be put on lawmakers in this country to intervene and get these jobs back. It is a viscious circle.

I saw the kind of growth predicted here in the Silicon Valley in the U.S. in the late '90’s with the “.Com” frenzy. Then, when the bottom fell out suddenly, literally tens of thousands were out of work, workstations were empty, and deserted buildings were up for lease everywhere (I lost 80% of my clientele in 3 months!).

Outsourcing is great for India, but horrific for the hard-working people in the countries that send out the work. There IS resentment here over this issue, and that resentment has yet to reach it’s peak. I personally am communicating with my Senators regularly on this issue, in the hopes that we can get legislation in place to give incentives to American companies to keep the jobs here, because my livelihood depends on it. And I am not the only one…

Here we go again…

It’s just capitalism… you got to take the good with the bad…

good luck to all you guys in India. Hope some cool stuff comes your way!

“It’s just capitalism… you got to take the good with the bad…”

True – but it doesn’t have to be that way. It’s only a matter of time until this trend hits the UK, Australia, Germany and Canada as well. Here in the U.S., we are seeing the damage first hand. As the world’s largest economy, we’re setting the trend for the rest of the global business climate to follow – and this trend is a very disturbing one indeed. You will soon feel the impact in your own back yard, as we do now. If you think that your future won’t be impacted in any way by this phenomenon, then you’re fooling yourself (the impact will come in many subversive ways, like taxes, unemployment, drops in salaries,etc.). As I mentioned, this has become a reality here in America, crossing many different industries and affecting millions of workers nationwide.

I, for one, am doing something about it. I’m virtually hitting the halls of Congress and the Senate, speaking to lawmakers and legislators, and generating awareness on this issue. Apathy is a very dangerous thing, and leads to the kind of abuses you see running rampant in the American capitalist environment…

Personally, I would tax the ever living shit out of companies that operated out of the US but produced labor overseas. You should have a certain percentage of american labor force in order to be an american company and not be taxed til you cant see straight.

just my .02

i hear a lot of people complain of jobs going to India but a few complain of the same jobs going to canada,australia,europe and even new zealand In the end it is the american companies that are letting the american people down but then again it is simple maths low costs high profits i think someone just posted something of a different tax bracket for companies which have a higher ratio of foreign staff as compared to local staff atleast that can pay for the dole of the people that it laid off :frowning:

I would like to see them try and train that many animators to any kind of standard for production in two years! :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s all good to say “we will do this, and we will do that,” but in actual fact the OS companies that go to this 8X bigger work force for its cut price animation will get cut price animation quality. 2 years?!

What is with all of the “Pro India we will rule the animation world” propoganda that has been comming up on this forum? It seems like every other day there is someone from India predicticting something about how their industry ‘will’ be great…

Outsourcing is great for India, but horrific for the hard-working people in the countries that send out the work.

Horrific? Watching your children die of starvation is horrific. What you’re talking about is crumbs from the rich man’s table starting to reach the starving. Indirectly, true, but nonentheless, people in the third world deserve to be allowed to compete with the rich countries without protectionism and tariffs slapped on their products.

There’s a huge imbalance in the world today. In some countries people have to get by on a tenth or less than others. That can’t last forever, imbalance always strives for balance. If they’re cheaper now, that won’t last, as the third world becomes richer and salaries rise. But I guess the workers in rich countries would say, “Hey I can’t wait that long, I need to focus on myself, can’t think about anyone else.” But that attitude is merely delaying the process.

I feel no sympathy for US workers, the US has had a couple great centuries (because of huge resources, stable political climate, and free economy), partly on the expense of the third world. I feel even less sympathy for workers of Europe. All good things come to an end and maybe this is it for the Industrialised West. Maybe this next century belongs to Asia.

Very, very well said Stahlberg.

but as i said in another post - it will take another 3-5 years before India can fully reach American visual effect quality.

[QUOTE=Genesis]I would like to see them try and train that many animators to any kind of standard for production in two years! :stuck_out_tongue:
QUOTE]
agreed totally pal…it sure takes a good deal of time to reach upto production level quality…and like Aazim mentioned - 3-5 years is where things will be looking good…and hopefully by then the local market will get aware of the CG potential and be sufficient enough to keep ourselves booked…

and to what ‘Stahlberg’ said - i am truly touched…those words really mean a lot…
cheersGuys!!!

Does anyone else not find this slightly amusing :scream:

:smiley: well it is a ( rather silly) name i would say.
All this CG thing is pretty new there, hence the names and big news over every little thing.

I am used to all this - I watch Indian movies - and any movie with the silliest of special effects is boasted so hard ( " the best vfx ever in indian history blah blah ") … its still very new - so u know the craze.

anyways - but the scene is improving ( very slowly though)
I am looking forward to some REAL work from indian studios.

Cheers.

Well, Stahl, I think that once third world countries that are ruled by governments that have kept their own people down for centuries are free and open societies, they, too, will have the advantages and disadvantages of capitalism. These countries need to accept responsibility for themselves and stop blaming America.

there’s bound to be some blame going on in either sides. we just had some blame directed at india’s animation industry from the west. change is inevitable, it’s how you adapt that counts.

I have all due respect towards everything that India, the world’s largest democracy, accomplishes in 3D graphics, and all its other tech ventures - I wish them well. But, I see time and time again that Indian media outlets quote sources with this kind of nationalistic cheerleading that had no basis in reality. I do not expect that they will really be hiring 8 times as many workers a year from now; I see that claim as one man’s expression of optimism, quoted by a media outlet more interested in promoting business than questioning sources.

-jeremy

i dont know who did the special effects for ‘Main hoon na’ - but to an extent the effects were acceptable. I would say a step in the right direction.

I hope somebody decides to have the indian version of Spiderman ( Peter Parker as Pavitr Prabhakar - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3836797.stm ) take form as a TV series eventually and hopefully some studio here gets to work on it.

http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20040501faessay83301-p30/daniel-w-drezner/the-outsourcing-bogeyman.html

I recently saw a TV show on outsourcing. The richest man in India (and one of the richest men in the world) , Azim Premji, made a very interesting comment concerning the young Indian adults working as help desk telephone operators for big US companies (note: due mostly to the 70’s, my memory is as sharp as a marble, so I am forced to paraphrase somewhat… :wink: ):

"I see young people with disposable income and time to spend it. They have a good sense of self-worth and self-respect. People like that do not fly airliners into buildings."

Globalization MUST be a 2-way street. To the best of my knowledge, US affiliates of foreign owned companies employ FAR more US citizens than US companies employ citizens of foreign countries. Fair is fair, it’s time to even up the score.

Liberalism at its finest.

People always want a handout instead of working for it themselves.

The american economic structure that allows us to strive in the world is definitely a reason to get pissy and say “youve had your turn…let someone else have a turn”

It is not the fault of the american people that the leaders of third world countries are incredibly corrupt individuals. It is not the fault of the american people that the leaders of third world countries didnt study economics and find ways to halt the ever widening gap of the separation of wealth.

We do not run around slapping tariffs and import protections on imports for shits and giggles. The american business environment is all about importing quality products for cheaper from overseas so long as the country in question isnt using child labor or other humanitarian issues. Libyia is the finest example of the US being willing to work with other governments just so long as that particular government isnt being stupid (read up…it should do you some good).

The american people are among the most generous and charitable people in the world. Its not like everybody in the states runs around driving slave labor in ethiopia to make a buck. Its not like we as a country and on individual or group levels havent been running around sending money, food, supplies, and other items of need to other countries.

Theres always going to be imbalance in the world. Theres nothing you can do about it. What youre proposing is having the imbalance shifted to third world countries whos leaders have proved to be more corrupt than ken lay ever could be. That way were all broke. And when the americans become broke, they will be sending aid even during their poorest time.

India is an economic power, but for the sheer number of people in its population, its relatively not much of an economic power at all. Think about it…theres roughly 1.2 billion people in india and about as many people in china. theres roughly 280 million in the US. only about 170 mil are working. If we sent every job we had to india, it would only give an additional 15% more work for them. Plus weve learned they work for cheap.

Getting rid of the low end jobs only requires people to become more educated so the higher end jobs will come over here. Thats not a guarantee but thats definitely a probability. The US will become a broke ass country at some point, but not any time soon. Even if John Kerry wins office, he cant screw up the american economic powerhouse in 4 years enough to matter much.

We’ve got our problems, but wishing the americans to third world status isnt cool. I understand that we are largely viewed negatively abroad. But that dosent change the fact that we as a country got to where we are by working hard, being smart, and being a democracy with a free market economy.

India isnt a bad country by no means. I think people of Indian descent are fine people and very hard working people. This explains why many companies decided to send their low paying jobs there, inexpensive labor with a fine work ethic.

The american economy is in no real danger over this. Certain industries may be affected more than others, but this is to be epected and everyone has the opportunity to change careers. If an artist chooses to go broke because they cant find CG work, then thats their problem.