Independent Rot axes from two looked at dummies

I have two dummies that each have a look at constraint to get them to look at another dummy. One rotates only in X, the other Y. I would like to make a third object have the X rotation of DummyA and the Y rotation of DummyB.

When I try to wire parameters I don’t have a way to get the rotation values because they are handle by constraints, rather than Euler controllers.

Is there a way I can get this rig to work?

Thanks.

I think expose transform helper is exactly what you are looking for. I run into same thing when tried to rig some elements to react to IK controlled arm bending angle.

Awesome!

That is precisely what I needed. Thanks!

How about this one… (I need to look into the script controlelr as this is probably easy)

I would like one dummy to rake the maximum z position of two other dummies. So whichever is higher is the position my dummy will take. Is there a way to do this without the script controller? (Not that I am afraid of the script controller, but I am new to Max and need to find some good examples.)

Thanks.

I got this going in a script controller. I assigned the Z pos of object A to one variable A, the Z pos of object B to another variable B. I assigned the current object’s X to myX and the current object’s Y to myY.

Then I used:

if A > B then
MyMax = A
else
MyMax = B

[myX, myY, MyMax]

I am guessing there is some form of “self” in Max scripting that I could sue rather than creating myX and myY. I was also trying to see if there was a MAX() function, but could not get that to work.

I don’t know of a self or me. for maxscript.

For max/min:

object.max[1] --or object.max.x --max x
object.max[2] --or object.max y --max y
object.max[3] --or object.max z --max z

object.min[1] --or object.min.x --min x
object.min[2] --or object.min.y --min y
object.min[3] --or object.min.z --min z

Assign a float script controller only to the Z-Axis of the position controller, instead of a scripted position controller.

-Eric

PixelMonkey… oh, duh… thx!

em3… I meant like MAX( A, B ), where the grater of A or B is returned…

ah right, just collect an array of your positions and use amax/amin to get the highest/lowest

p=#(13,6,45,3,87,100,19,40)
--#(13, 6, 45, 3, 87, 100, 19, 40)
amax p

USeful for a large number of values. But I would guess a simple conditional like in my example above would be way faster for two values :wink: (Versus creating an array, inserting two values into it and then using amax, then GCing all of that.)

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.