Increase particle size or Increas HV size--implications?

I’m doing a little simulation of pouring liquid, using a particle emitter (LW 8) dynamics – which work well for this, and more straightforwardly than MD.

A lot of the “look” seems to be in the relationship of the particles to each other, how they blend and interact.

There are two places where size can be set: Particle geometry, and the HV which renders them. I’m trying to figure out the different implications. . .

One is apparent–in self-colliding, particles depend on their own stats, not on the HV’s that will render them (eg, a tiny particle with a huge HV rendering on it will tend to overlap others, while in the opposite case, they’ll never render as “touching” --because the particles are touching but the HVs are drawn “inside” them

But there’s a lot more to this than that-- if anyone has experience or pointers I’d appreciate them

Thats it, you got it. :smiley:

Size in the emitter tab (click show size) is the size of the particle, for use in collision.
Size in HV tab is only for looks.

I never bother with particle size unless there needs to be collisions.
Usually, just changing HV size works well enough.

For what you’re doing, particle size will definitely matter.

I thought I had this one down, but here’s what the LW 8 docs say:

“Particle size affects the outer boundary used for collision detection. It can also be used by volumetric plug-ins like HyperVoxels.”

This makes it seem like the setting in the Particle dynamics menu is “fed” to the HV’s-- is that right? In other words, if I read that last sentence correctly, it seems like the particle setting over-rides what’s set in the HV panel.

This is a hard thing to test directly

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.