Imaginative Figure Workshop #003: Unusual Pets & Their Unusual Owners

Hi everyone, the spider is finished as far as modeling being concerned,
It was meant for this spider to be naked, just like the sphynx cat’s are, though, Il probably paint in few hairs of fur in post later when I start wraping it up…
This is what spider looks like…

Now I gotta model the Knitter lady, no sleeping tonight for me :/…

woah AIR - you’re flying and the spider’s great :slight_smile: Really like your idea in general!

AIR, looking awesome. I’m glad I had a kitten instead of him growing up though. :wink: Looking forward to the old lady!

Here’s the lady wip image, continue tommorow, tired.

Cool concept :slight_smile:
Hopefully find time to join this one :slight_smile:

cheers all
a. :slight_smile:

not a frequenter here, although when i have time i go through the workshops and practice a little=)
always wanted to participate in one but was always too late=))) but im going to go for it now!

my concept is “the wooden puppet and his pet she-goat” this is just the preliminary sketch really, im gonna gel it onto a3 eventually, lots mistakes here…i’d really like some critiques about anatomy and values that is my weak point
didnt use any refrence yet=)

This is what I have till now, the idea turned out neat, so Il try and spare few more days on this one.
Knitter lady is nearly completed, need to finish detailing one hand, then, copy it, and repose, gotta finish the shirt, lot of jewlery and decorations in head and neck, I got inspired by watching Steve Mccurry photos from his book “Looking east”, so this is some lady that could be living in tibet or that area.
The spider is low poly mesh roughly posed to give me idea where his legs would go, and to get some info about interaction with the lady’s skirt, later I will repose original spider.
Gotta make carvings or some sort of relief in the chair, need to figure out the patterns first…
Aswell as modeling small narrow table with knitted stockings and needles.

Cant wait to get into post/psd phase, and to see more works from others turning in too…

AIR, that’s hilarious. :slight_smile: I’m going to try to put something up today.

reaveress, welcome, would like to see what this looks like after reference has been used.

Hi there!

Im not much of a teacher character my self, but I can tell you what works for me.
Use lot of references in drawing and modeling, look at things as much as you can, observe, compare, then observe some more and compare some more, and when you’ve seen like 10-20 or 100 goat legs and whatever part of anatomy you intend to use for your she-goat character, you can start drawing them, that goes for the human part of she goat aswell.
In phase of preliminary sketch I guess it’s not necesary, but a good time to start looking for them.
In time, you’l end up doing cool stuff without need of going trough any references,
Although, I allways prefer having some reference to look at while working… it’s just easier that way, and the chances to get greater results increase, but again, it depends on what your goal is, and what you wanna do.
Looking forward to see your progress!

thank you for your expansive comment!=) yes i find using refrence extremely useful, although i fear i’m too dependent on it, so sometimes i do something totally refrence-less, and then try to fine-tune it=)

Greetings [size=2][font=Arial]www.damirgmartin.com[/size][/font]
I love your idea. Lady with a pet spider. I notice your scrambling and wanted to point out, only the sketches are due on the 9th. The finished image is due on the 30th. Hope that helps you a little.

I also am going to try and submit something. Look forward to your finished image.

Hey Rebecca!.. great subject!:bounce:

Hey Damir! Great to see you here! Good going so far… the idea totally rocks!! :thumbsup:

just some ideas.

Blackxedgexkid, haha, these are cute and have great potential! I like the turtle with the man’s head, would like to see that character in different poses and different expressions, and for sure it would be interesting to see the owner depicted. :slight_smile:

Hi there. I am pretty new here (in terms of posting my work) and also pretty new to drawing in general. I really like the topics of these workshops and since this one lasts longer, i want to give it a try.

[img]http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/8233/frogandcarnivoreplant.jpg[/img]

The idea is a world of intelligent plants with tamed animals. So because this carnivorous plant still lacks feet of its own, it uses a pet frog to hunt flies for it.

Hey Onii, welcome. :slight_smile: Very cute! Here’s a great source of inspiration for your and for everyone’s projects which I found:

http://uglyoverload.blogspot.com/

-R

Hi!

This is another snap of the knitter lady, she is more or less finished modeling vise, the rest will be photoshoped.
Next post will be final image.

nice one - I do like her jewellery!
Ok I’m in :)… I’ve been thinking about what pet to make and here’s my idea: A woman with a squid like creature on her head - well the bottom part will be like a squid [with the tentacles around her head and neck], the top I want to be more like a mixture of some funny sprite, goblin and a cameleon… weird I know but I think it will work :slight_smile: Here’s a start - did the head sculpt - from an old base mesh - pretty simple but I want to do an illustration - something I never do - so I wont’ work too much on her and I will concentrate on one view. I also did a quick projection to start the texture… Next stop some tests in xsi with shaders and modeling the critter :slight_smile:
I think I kinda want a glamour like shot, trying to make the creature look like a weird hat or something :wink:

So usually I’m more the lurker type… but I felt really strong about these preliminary sketches

I feel that 3 and 6 are the strongest. Although I was also thinking of making a composition of ladies 1, 3, and 6 all together… opinions?

reaveress great idea with the mannekin!
AIR Awesome job on the spider model! The head of the grandma needs some anatomy corrections: eye sockets are missing, nose more extruded, the mouth is positioned too low, the overall shape of the head seems rather flat. Great concept, looking forward to see your updates!
Blackxedgexkid funny sketches! I can see a kid pushing the 6-eyed turtle :smiley:
Onii Nice idea, I’d suggest doing some frog and plant studies to get the feel of it.
Intervain great to see you in here :slight_smile: Women with weird hats are so hot! LOL
tbrosati nice start! I like 2 and 3, but keep sketching until you find one that really pops out!

So I wrote me a nice lil story last week, had it laying around for a while and when I finally started doodling, I decided to ditch the story… it was about an alien creature having a human pet as a competition “toy”. (kinda like pokemon but reverse…)

After doodling some more I found a creature head that I kinda like:

So I started thumbing:

After a while it occured to me that the sequence of these thumbs has some narrative qualities… call it a happy accident :slight_smile:
So I might stick to this comic-like setup…

This thread is too quiet! C’mon peepz… show us your progress!