Image planes - hw-textured while model is wire?

Hi all.

I’ve just started using maya, going from 3dsMax, and atm I’m setting up some reference image planes for modelling. I don’t even know if you can do what I want in Max, but it would be very sweet to be able to do it in Maya.

What I would like to do is have the Perspective viewport display everything as hardware texture shaded, i.e. the model I’m working on as well as the image planes, while the orthogonal (front/side/top) views have the image planes displayed as hardware texture shades and the model in wireframe. To break it down:

View:…Image planes display:…Model display:

Perspective…hw texture shaded…hw texture shaded
Front/top/side…hw texture shaded…wireframe

I’ve put the planes in a separate layer and made it reference already, but I can’t figure out how to make an object override the display settings in certain views only. Is there any way to do this?

Hey Anders,

You should be able to that with no problem. Just select your perspective view in the menu of the window select Shading->Smooth Shade All and select Shading->Hardware Texturing. In all the other windows select Shading->Wireframe. This will show all the image planes in all the views as texture shaded (it overrides the window setting) and the model as wireframe in Top/Front/Side and shaded in the perspective view.

Brilliant!!!:bounce: :beer:

I Thought image planes worked like in Max - i.e. the image is just drawn in the viewport as opposed to being a separate geometric plane with an image on it as in Maya, and therefore I though I didn’t want to use the image plane option but instead make a polygon plane and map the image to it. But the image planes work like a charm.

Thanks a lot for the help (I’m starting to really like Maya :slight_smile: )

While I’m at it, (I’ll try not to go on a stupid q rampage here but I couldn’t find this in the manual) is there anyway to tear off the sidebar with the Attribute Editor/Channel box/Layer Editor And have them floating (I want to move them to my second monitor)?

No problem! Glad to help. For the Attribute Editor to be a window go under Window->Setting/Preferences->Preferences and then click on Interface on the left and click on the radio button that says “Open Attribute Editor in Separate Window”. I don’t think you can do that with the side bar though…

Originally posted by lostpencil
No problem! Glad to help. For the Attribute Editor to be a window go under Window->Setting/Preferences->Preferences and then click on Interface on the left and click on the radio button that says “Open Attribute Editor in Separate Window”. I don’t think you can do that with the side bar though…

i wish we could use the channel editor like that,tear off or something

Cheers. Yeah, too bad you can’t tear it off, would save a lot of space.

A different solution for the wireframe question: I have two shortcut keys that set the transperancy of a certain shader (called work) to 5% and 100%. When an object is transparent you still see the wireframe when you select is.

Cheers for a second option Marcel :slight_smile:

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.