iMac Pro Updates?

Any of you jump in all the way (18core) with the new iMP? Experience?

There is at least one other thread in here talking about iMac Pro experiences. Just need to do a bit of searching.

None of those threads were discussing an 18-core though were they? I’d be interested to see how one fares up against the 10- and14-core variants.

EDIT: Actually, online I found this statement: “In Cinema 4D, a custom scene was rendered by the iMac Pro 18-Core in 4 minutes, by the 10-Core in 4 min 48 sec, and by the 8-Core in 6 min 4 sec.” As expected, the 10-core is the sweet spot for price v performance.

iPhonedo’s 18-core iMac review

18-core iMac Pro

Nah, just not worth the extra expense. Not for me anyway.

Scientiaviz (atik theusen) I believe was the one who bought one.

I’ve seen some negative comments from other users on the various c4d social media groups–but dont recall specific details.

I still live in hope the next Mac Pro will be a replacement for my mid-2010 machine. I guess we’ll see at some point.

The company I’m working for hired one to help me out rendering lots of X-Particles shots. Not much to say apart from it’s doing exactly what it should be doing, render times scale to what you’d expect from the hardware. Also very quiet. All 18 cores going and it’s silent. It’s nice and sleek looking and eye wateringly expensive.

Yeah, I’m still sticking with my mid 2010 Mac Pro for the time being. Until I can be sure that you can successfully run, let’s say TWO eGPUs on either the iMac Pro or the current (or speculated forthcoming) Mac Pro, I would feel very uncomfortable about making such a large financial investment
Although I’ve read reports of people successfully running two eGPUs on the current Mac Pro, I understand that it’s not without issues and I personally haven’t found enough quality information on the subject to convince me
(I’d be very keen to speak with someone who’s successfully done this!)
I would feel very sickened if I were to spend in the region of £10k on a brand new workstation that couldn’t offer me as a minimum what my current 2010 workstation does
But let’s be clear, if I was convinced it was currently possible run one or even two eGPUS on the iMac Pro without any hacks or problems in order to run Redshift or Octane, I would buy one today.

I think Barefeats did some testing with iMac pro and 2 eGPU. http://barefeats.com/imacpro_vs_pt7.html
The big question is of course if the app you need is supporting this already.

odo

Yeah, I saw that Barefeats test
for me a couple of things stood out which I’ve copied and pasted below
All in all, to me it currently seems like a bit of a minefield and you need to do a lot of homework before jumping in
To be frank, I don’t want to spend tons of time researching the subject and I don’t want to gamble with my cash! I want to be sure before making the commitment.

Firstly

‘Once High Sierra eGPU support is available for NVIDIA Pascal GPUs, we will publish results for one or more of them connected to the iMac Pro via eGPU box.’

Secondly

In each case, we used the Mac Pro’s built-in 5K Retina display. Some apps ignore the external GPU unless you connect it directly to an external display and make it primary. But be aware that the performance of a faster external GPU can be hampered by the lower bandwidth of the Thunderbolt 3 connection compared to the internal GPU’s connection.’

Barefeats, has been oddly slow with much in the way of additional brute-force tests with the 18-core. They’ve done more exploratory reviews of items such as USB-C external drives, and the few external GPU tests.

I suppose, the loaded 18-core is simply too expensive, for too many people, so the lack of new, in-depth reviews simply reflect that fact.

Haven’t tried the 18 core iMac Pro but I have tried both the 8 and 10 core. One at work and the other one at home.
The 10 core I think is the better choice between the 3. Has the fastest single core of the 3 and it has enough cores to be fast but not insanely expensive as the 18 core.

I have reviewed the 10 core iMac Pro over at my youtube channel and I’m focusing mostly on Cinema 4D. So might be worth a look if you’re in the market of buying one.

It’s definitely an expensive machine but I love how fast and silent it is at the same time.

The Bare Feats results are in for 10-core vs 8-core. Pretty much as expected. When I find a machine that’s twice as fast as the one I’m working on, I’ll upgrade.

I picked up the 8-Core model a couple of weeks ago and I’m really happy with it. It’s a HUGE upgrade in performance from the 2013 macbookpro i was using!

What made my decision a lot easier is the special that Micro Center has on them… You can pick up the base model for $3999, that’s $1k off. For that price, I see actual value and it’s an easier pill to swallow. The display on this thing is incredible and it’s completely silent.

$1K off - that’s fantastic - wish we saw deals like that in the UK!

I’m waiting on the coming official eGPU support from Apple and for nVidia to get their Mac stuff sorted. I’m on the regular iMac but it’s top of the line single core speed makes most work a joy and buying refurb means I didn’t break the bank and I can upgrade ram at my leisure. And the 5k display is SO NICE. Mac apps handle hi-dpi displays so well.

System level eGPU support is coming to Mac OS soon! It’s already in the Mac OS beta according to the folks at eGPU.io:
https://egpu.io/external-gpu-macos-10-13-4-update/

Perhaps by the time apple supports eGPUs natively, graphics cards will have come down in price to sane levels.

Yeah, I saw the newest Barefeats comparison, between the eight and ten-core models. But, unfortunately, they have still not touched an 18-core. I will say, that the difference between the eight and ten is, for the most part, not a significant difference.

For me, it all comes down to how a loaded iMac Pro will compare with the number of older 12-core Mac Pro models I already have in my stable. The eight and ten core iMP are certainly close, but I really want to see how the 18-core model would compare with the older 12-core Mac Pro.

I can definitely appreciate the value of “quiet” that the iMac Pro affords. I’m used that that with my trash can Mac Pro models. It pains me to have to boot up any of my old silver towers.

Don’t forget power efficiency as well. I’m willing to bet rendering with the iMac Pro is going to be cheaper (electricity wise) than any of the older 12 core mac pros.

I’d have to agree. The heat which blasts out of the older silver towers is measurably much higher than that from my trash can units. I’d have to imagine that the new iMac Pro models are even a touch more efficient than the trash cans.