I'm fed up with MAX!!!

I make lowpoly models for computer games and MAX seems to have all proper tools for it. I use it for more then 3 years, I got used to the interface and I feel very comfortable with it, BUT!
All those stupid little bugs can drive anybody mad!
For example. I want to cut my mesh into 2 parts. I use quickslice. NOTHING happens! I use slice plane - same! What should I do? Make a new mesh?! Why doesn’t he like this particular mesh?!

I take a couple of polys and use unfold mapping. One of the mapped polygons doesn’t have an outer segment and is mapped incorrectly. And you can kill yourself, but MAX will map those 2 polys only this way! Or, sometimes, it welds the corner of the mapped poly to some other poly. Detach doesn’t helps. NOTHING helps!!! And It’s already 5.1 version, not 5.0!! They kept all the bugs for compatibility or something? :surprised:

Don’t know about you guys, but I’m sick of it! I’m going to learn LW or XSI or something else…

Good luck everyone. :shrug:

my max5 works fine…
none of that kind of bugs, no broblems with polys or something else…
maybe your drivers is non compatible.

Resistance is futile.
Quickslice is a terrific tool IF, and that’s a pretty big if, you select the faces you want sliced first. Might wanna give that a try?

I don’t understand the auto-wrap thing, select an edge and cut and then select the now seperate element and you can do with it as you see fit. Hooray.

It sounds a bit like you maybe haven’t taken the time to figure out all the functions in these tools? Habbits die hard, having used MAX for quite a while doesn’t neccessairly make it easier to figure out how to use the various new features effectivly.

I dont tink he have max at all, and not 3 years for sure.

I accidentially happend to test out the QuickSlice and it works even with no faces selected. Hooray!

If yours doesn’t, InQ, do tell, I guess it could be some weird bug.

Originally posted by Namroth

maybe he does have it…
where i worked last year the same tool worked in a strange way on a computer (comproved!)

… had to reinstall Max…

now it’s (almost) all right!

2gaggle:
Even if the faces are selected, It doesn’t work. And you don’t have to select faces when you use slice plane by the way.

and what should I select when polygon corner is welded to another polygon? Detach doesn’t help (btw, it should!!). The only way is to break the vertecs and then weld them back one by one. Why should I do that all the time?!

2jone: my drivers are not compatible with what?! :)) With Editable Poly modifier? :)))

2Namrot:
Here are some screenshots from our upcoming game.
http://www.il2center.com/article.php?sid=98

Originally posted by Namroth

Your misanthropy always amazes me :curious:

Howdy !

Already, i must say i don’t use the slice plane that often, but, and that’s just an idea, what about just selecting the faces you want to detach/make independent, and hit “Detach” ? it should actually detach the selected faces into an element (don’t know if it applies to your particular prob, if not, could you be more specific ?).
Else if your slice plane won’t work, maybe and edge ring and connect could do the trick ?

As for the wrap/corner thing, well, would you post a screenshot of the area that the problem occurs on, and we can then try to see what going on ?

anyhow, i for one think that great things can be achieved with any of the major 3d apps out there, Max being one of them (well, ok, really true since r5 is out); i think one should not switch to another app from frustration : )

mouj

Originally posted by -=InQ=-
Detach doesn’t help [snip] The only way is to break the vertecs[snip]

Oh btw, when I said select an edge and cut it I meant it to be in the context of the UV editor. Where shared edges can easily be disconnected from eachother with that command. I forgot to mention that, sorry if my response made little sense :slight_smile:

Anyway, so if you make a cube, convert to Poly, hit the Quickslice button, click somewhere off to one side of the cube, then click again on the other side of the cube, you don’t get a cut? Is there even a bandsaw line thing drawn?

I don’t think I quite understand the detach thing: if two polys shares two verticies, you can detach the one poly and, having toggled the Detach To Element checkbox, the two polys will now have their own set of verticies, ie. four verticies where there was two before. If you’re saying that doesn’t work… well I don’t know… it just sounds very odd. I would be hesitant of claiming it to be MAX bugs, the features you’ve mentioned seems too simple to suffer from such things… Discreet may not be revolutionizing the industry, but they’re not exactly stupid either… the program works, is my experience, a lot of the time it’s faulty hardware or misc. scripts and/or plugins that’s causing the problems.

I agree, I have been using R5.x since it was initially released and I have not encountered any of these errors that “Inq” claims to be having nor have I ever seen them reported by anyone before now. Yes there are still bugs but these are nowhere near what “Inq” is claiming and overall all of the tools function as they should (and as outlined in the documentation).

I would suggest looking at your system (perhaps bad RAM) as the cause of your problem before you begin to blame the software (especially since everyone else here cannot replicate your potential “bug” on our systems, which makes me believe that it is not a software bug at all).

Also if this is such a big problem for you why don’t you contact Discreet (by phone or their outstanding internet support board) and ask them about this? That would be the logical solution to your problem would it not?

Foz

2gaggle:
thank you for trying to help, but I know how to use all this tools, I’ve read the manual. And they work fine sometimes, sometimes not. Those couple of bugs, I mentioned, are not the only ones that drive me mad, There are dozens of others. Maybe there are another ways of cutting those damned polygons. But why should I think of them? Why can’t I just use properly all the tools built in by developer?

I wouldn’t blame the software if it was only my problem. But a lot of people in my office have the same problems. Some of them began using another software some time ago because it is impossible to work 10-14 hours a day with such software. It’s unpredictable.

We have hardware claimed by Discreet to be workable with MAX: Asus motherboards, Intel processors, NVidia video adapters etc.

The bugs I can remeber now:

• quick slice, slice plane, cut functions sometimes do nothing.
  • boolean sometimes do nothing
  • you must press Edit button twice to open edit UVW window.
  • Unfold mapping sometimes gives you corrupted polygon
  • Normal Mapping sometimes doesn’t map all selected polygons
  • Unfold Mapping gives you polygon with welded corner (detach doesn’t help)
  • if you move another app’s window in front of MAX everything works very slow
  • somethimes MAX closes itself and can’t save the scene
  • sometimes you start MAX and it works VERY slow and you must close it and open again.
  • pespective angle sometimes changes at will

All those bugs I’ve encountered both at home and in office in Windows 2000 professional and Windows XP professional. If you haven’t seen bugs in MAX, maybe you just don’t work with it? :surprised

Max is about as buggy an app as they come. Discreet basically condemn themselves with every new release or update that claims to be “the most stable version yet”
To claim that Inq has never used Max just becasue he is experiencing problems that you’ve never seen is just plain stupid. By that logic most of you here have never used 3DS or even live on earth.

Inq - I tried out quickslice and it seems to work just fine for me. Just a few questions:
I know this is a problem that has occured on more than 1 machine but have you tried reloading max?
Does this problem occur on a machine with just max on it and no plugins?
Have you tried posting this up on discreets support forum?
Did you have the problem when you were at 5.0… if so would it be possible for you to do what you need to do if you went back to 5.0?

Yeah I don’t think anyone here is trying to pretend MAX is a bugfree program :slight_smile:
But with that said, the crashes and weirdness I experience doesn’t seem to be the same “kind” as the ones InQ has. I’ve used QuickSlice extensivly, never had any grief with it. And I certainly know I’ve detached polygons (to element and not), and I don’t recall a single issue with it somehow just not working.

The same kind of response with the list of bugs you’ve written InQ, though there are some I haven’t tested much, like normal mapping and whatnot. But, for instance, I don’t recall a single time where I’ve had to press the Edit button twice… and so on and so forth. They may indeed be bugs, something Discreet can go “whhoops, sorry, a patch is enroute” to and everyone is happy again. But I don’t recognize most of the errors described… meaning I can’t help but think that it’s perhaps not as much the software, as it is some other (local) factor.

I do actually recall MAX being very slow some times when started up, but that was like back on NT4 or Win98, with some crappy-ass drivers.

Anyway, I also have my own little list of MAX bugs I belive I’ve found, but they’re nothing like the ones presented here. If you seriously can’t Detach a polygon without a 100% successful trackrecord, then obviously something is wrong. But I still say it’s not a case of “what a stupid MAX bug!, that’s it!, stupid Discreet; I’m moving to XSI”. InQ, I’m sorry to hear you’re having these problems. I can see that from the sounds of it all the experience you have in this points to the software being flawed, so I can see where you’re coming from. It’s opposite for me, my experience tells me that it sounds like a computer-specific problem, or some other local variable that’s messing with MAX…

Bah, damn computers and the software we’re running. So many hours wasted hunting down peculiarities.

I think you should call Discreet, for what it’s worth. It sounds like something serious is up, maybe they can provide some sort of answer.

2Sir Eel:
No, I don’t use no plugs, just don’t need any… Yes, reloading helps sometimes, but when you work 14 hours a day, all those little bugs become a big trouble :frowning:

What is the purpose of sending those bug lists to Discreet? I can’t even prove it :frowning:
How often do you seen an updates from them? Once a year? Nobody will compile an update specially for me.

Sorry, for bothering you folks, I just needed to complain to someone :slight_smile:

Anyway, it’s usefull to know more then one 3D package. Maybe MAX is just not mine :slight_smile:

Thank you for the support.

Ïðèâåò…
Îñòàâü ñöåíó ñ ãëþêîì, íî ìíå êàæåòñÿ ÷òî ýòî âñåðàâíî òîëüêî ó òåáÿ, òàê êàê ÿ íèêîãäà íå ñòàëêèâàëñÿ ñ ïîäîáíîé ïðîáëåìîé… ñòðàííî…

Originally posted by -=InQ=-
[B]2Sir Eel:
No, I don’t use no plugs, just don’t need any… Yes, reloading helps sometimes, but when you work 14 hours a day, all those little bugs become a big trouble :frowning:

What is the purpose of sending those bug lists to Discreet? I can’t even prove it :frowning:
How often do you seen an updates from them? Once a year? Nobody will compile an update specially for me.

Sorry, for bothering you folks, I just needed to complain to someone :slight_smile:

Anyway, it’s usefull to know more then one 3D package. Maybe MAX is just not mine :slight_smile:

Thank you for the support. [/B]

Like gaggle, I think the problems you’re having might be more localized to machine or configuration – or at least some of them. I can’t find the same problems here.

But again, the best way to solve them is probably on the discreet board or via phone (if you’re within the U.S.) or perhaps direct e-mail contact with discreet. Good luck.

Mahlon

Erka2, I don’t think this board supports Cyrillic characters?

Anyway, just a completly off-the-top-off-my-head kind of thought: Could your problems be related to using russian local settings?

I’m running with danish keyboard settings here (english OS though), and there are some… trickery, involved, with our use of comma’s to denote decimal numbers (fact of the day: in Denmark half a dollar would be 0,50 cents. A thousand dollars would be $1.000). I just got to loosly pondering that maybe that weird-ass Cyrillic character-set you russians use is mucking things up? I could imagine Discreet’s support-center is not neccessarily equipped with a wide range of Russian test-machines…

(Oh and btw, I swear Russian is just absolutly completly unreadable :slight_smile: … wish I knew an easy way to learn it somehow though)

>For example. I want to cut my mesh into 2 parts. I use quickslice. NOTHING happens! I use slice plane - same!

What s/o level are you trying this from?; only way I could see it not working, assuming correct tool use and things working properly, would be to be trying to use quickslice/slice when you have a face selected away from the area you want to slice. In that instance, nothing would happen because only the selected face would be able to be sliced. This also assumes you just want to add an edge someplace on the mesh; to split it into 2 seperate elements you’ll need to have split checked.

>One of the mapped polygons doesn’t have an outer segment and is mapped incorrectly. And you can kill yourself, but MAX will map those 2 polys only this way!

No idea what you’re describing here.

>and what should I select when polygon corner is welded to another polygon? Detach doesn’t help (btw, it should!!).

Detach Edge Verts, or (at the poly level in the Unwrap editor) Break. Both seperate a selection from the rest of the mesh at the border of the selection. Detach Edge Verts should work best.

Also, if you have a file that’s having these problems, post it, perhaps that way it can be seen if it’s a bug on other’s system or something local to your machines.