I want to try ProRender properly

Because my Mac Pro has 2 x nvidia 980tis in it, ProRender doesn’t work. I’d really like to play with it a bit though. I have two choices - buy and install an AMD Radeon 580, or I was thinking I could install another drive, put a copy of windows on it and the demo version of c4d and run ProRender using the 2 x nvidia 980tis since they work in Windows…

What’s the best option? Or is ProRender useless on any hardware? Anyone like to offer any opinions?

Pardon my ignorance, but Isn’t bootcamp made for that ?

I think that one 980ti is already faster than a radeon 580, let alone 2 of them.

A windows OEM licence (with a hard drive for instance) is about $100 i think, so the math would say stick with your cards.

As whether Prorender is worth it… it’s good enough to play around, but it should be improved in R20. It had various improvements from the side of AMD (including a denoiser) + whatever Maxon worked on their side (Disney PBR shader? let’s hope…). So this might become a decent solution :

ProRender improvements :

• Improved heterogeneous volume
    ‒ Efficient sampling, less memory
  • Metal support on MacOs
    ‒ Requires MacOs High Sierra (10.13.3)
  • Nested Dielectrics
  • More AOVs
    ‒ Per BRDF AOVs (diffuse, reflect, refract, volume)
  • Color LUTs
  • Color correction using .cube file
  • Procedural UVs (Decal projection, triplanar)
  • Easier to use Uber Material (Closer to Disney)
  • Performance improvements
  • Real time denoiser

As EricM said, you can try to dual-boot your machine with Boot Camp. You’d have a choice whether to boot into Windows 10 or OSX when your machine starts up.

Windows 10 OEM Home 64 bit looks like it sells for 80 US Dollars these days. Probably a cheaper choice than changing your GPUs.

Also, it is rumored that Nvidia 11xx GPUs are coming later this year. In a few months basically. This means that Nvidia cards like 1070/1080 will probably become discounted in price.

So if you wait a bit, you may be able to snap up much faster GPUs for less money a little later this year.

I think windows home have a memory limitation. Not sure but i think it is 16 or 24Gb.

Its 128GB for Home (has to be the 64bit version though… 32bit only supports 4GB) and 2 Terabytes for Pro:

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/feature/windows/windows-10-home-vs-windows-10-pro-vs-windows-10-s-3618710/

The real limitation seems to be that home cannot create or join a work network.

I have an old 32GB RAM Win8 laptop. As far as I know it runs plain old Win 8 Home 64 Bit.

ProRender improvements :

• Improved heterogeneous volume
    ‒ Efficient sampling, less memory
  • Metal support on MacOs
    ‒ Requires MacOs High Sierra (10.13.3)
  • Nested Dielectrics
  • More AOVs
    ‒ Per BRDF AOVs (diffuse, reflect, refract, volume)
  • Color LUTs
  • Color correction using .cube file
  • Procedural UVs (Decal projection, triplanar)
  • Easier to use Uber Material (Closer to Disney)
  • Performance improvements
  • Real time denoiser
    Looking forward to trying those - especially metal, since Mac OS has true eGPU support for AMD.

Ok, thanks , might have been a W7 limitation. Still on it.