I just saw Kill BIll!!!!

Originally posted by Ckerr812
4-0 to montreal… ouch, now that is more pain then anything in kill bill :smiley:

Yeah…now I wish I went :frowning:

Oh well

:frowning:

(e)

SPOILER please dont read if you havent seen the movie.

Being a huge Quentin Tarantino fan i decided to spend the 14 bucks canadian (which is outrageous) and see this sucka. After sitting through a the 2 hour movie, and letting my thoughts gather for about a day, I’m still undecided on this one. There were good things about the movie there were some bad things.

To start this movie wasnt your basic “hollywood” production. It was unique and some what odd. You could tell something was up right when you see the opening credits. It displays the main actors/ characters in tiny writing and then goes on to display the behind the scenes crew ( ei stunt corodinator…lighting) is in big bold letters. Which is great, finally the little man gets major recognition! I also loved the cinematography and camera work (Tarantino’s best IMO or would it be the story board artists?!?). I also I liked how Tarantino threw in some subliminal messages into the movie like he did with Pulp Fiction ( clocks always read 4:20). You could see this in Kill Bill when Uma’s character is comatose and the medical heart monitor always reads her heart rate at a constant 69 even when she wakes up. I also enjoyed the witty remarks towards star trek. Yes kinda geeky but funny in all the same. The acting this movie wasnt outstanding, but it was far from being aweful. Now on to the things i disliked about the movie.

One major thing is the story/ idea of this movie. Basically you have the revenge outline of Desperato mixed together with an anime. Kill Bill like most anime you have the lonnnnnnngest build up to the most goriest fight scenes. There is no way this movie needed those “buildups” to heighten the plot to the viewer. Lets just say you know the basic plot in the first 10 minutes. The character development was also way toooooooooo long. It was bullsh*t watching the those cuts because we all knew those characters were either going to get their asses kicked or be killed in the next 20 minutes. Come on guys this isnt an epic movie so why try and make it one. I think Tarantino should of made the plot/ character development fast, short and sweet like Guy Richie did with snatch. The ending is the lamest of all!!!

you’re watching, you’re watching…then black screen…nothing. Ok I know this is suppose to be a 2 part series, but man nothing is resolved in this. Even Back to future and lotr has some sorta of conflict or subplot resolved. You really are left hanging, but hanging for what? You dont have to a rocket scientist to figure out that ya, in the next one i bet she does kill everyone on her list even Bill. Now i’m going to have to spend another 14 bucks and see the next one.

My point is Kill Bill could have easily been a 1 part two hour flick. It’s a total money grabber. Soon you’ll see movies like Nurse Betty in a four part series. I’m surprised they havent thought that earlier. Now instead of spending 14 bucks for a so-so movie, i going to have to dole out 28, just so i can see an ending to it.

Remember kids just because a movie is different doesnt always make it good.

Over and out.

5 out of 5, great movie, great style,
yeah the movie has no special plot, but it still kept my attention.
he produced depth with some of the characters but, we didnt really know who uma was exactly. she was part of the squad, was about all we knew about here but who cares she kick ass. but knowing terintinos work thats probably Vol.2

RZA did an exellent job producing the sound track, what ever he contributed to it.that was definitly a strong point though out the whole movie.
the cinematography was great to. He took shots straight out of old kung fu flicks and pulled them off.
Sonny Chiba rocked.
killer movie, I’m watching it tommorow again.

was her suit a tribute to Bruce Lee?

did anyone notice the exessive foot shots?

Originally posted by Mondo
[BMy point is Kill Bill could have easily been a 1 part two hour flick. It’s a total money grabber. Soon you’ll see movies like Nurse Betty in a four part series. I’m surprised they havent thought that earlier. Now instead of spending 14 bucks for a so-so movie, i going to have to dole out 28, just so i can see an ending to it.[/B]

No offense but this is why Quentin is a talented director making films and you are not. Speeding through the characterization would’ve killed this film. The build up is there for a reason and I think it works beautifully. Next to The Bad Sleep Well I think this is one of the best revenge films I have ever seen and the story will only get stronger when the two volumes can be seen as one epic film.

Originally posted by Cinematography
Kill Bill didn’t have much substance to it. If it didn’t have the profanity, violence, or action, there would not have been much left for it. A good movie doesn’t require profanity, violence, or action to hold an audience’s attention.

Of course it doesn’t, but to say this film lacks substance is to not have a great understanding of the revenge film. What this film had was focus. Quentin knew what he was trying to convey and he did so beautifully.

Oh yea I forgot to mention something else I did like about the film.
As other people have said the music was really well done.

I bet if Kill Bill didn’t have any violence, profanity, or action in it, a lot of you would have found it to be very boring.

Man I really do think you missed the point of the film. All those things were intentionally the focus of the movie. The idea was supposed to be to take the focus off of story and character development and put it on the action.
That’s actually why I complained about it in my earlier post. There is a huge portion of this film that is just focusing on Bride’s background and motivation. It really didn’t need as much attention as it was getting. The same goes for her meeting with Hanzo in Japan. Plus getting that damn flashback over and over again was annoying I just got sick of seeing it. I understand this is mimicking what was done in many martial arts flicks but it’s also one of the worse aspects of the genre.
I have to disagree with those that thought the cinemetography was well done in this movie. I think it had it’s moments but the majority of the camera work and editing during the action scenes just did not work well. I simply could not stand how long they would hold on some shots during a fight. Instead of complimenting the action it just made it sit there. It was very frustrating to watch because I could see how this movie potentially cold have been a great piece of work.

Im confused , i thought Tarantino had some beef with CG killing the cinema?

Why was there a team of Digital Animators?

Was that anime scene 3d?

Or that plane?

I want to find out which parts were cg… Maybe the snow fall?

did anyone else stay for the credits ::slight_smile:

-Will

Im confused , i thought Tarantino had some beef with CG killing the cinema?

Was that anime scene 3d?

Or that plane?

-Will

Did RZA really do the soundtrack? It didn’t sound very RZAish. :shrug:

Originally posted by WillJohn
[B]Im confused , i thought Tarantino had some beef with CG killing the cinema?

Was that anime scene 3d?

Or that plane?

-Will [/B]

I pretty sure the anime sequence was NOT 3d…
Can anyone back me up here?

That plane was most definitely a miniature/toy … the whole crowd, including myself, roared when we saw that.

Tarantino is not against 3d…if I understand correctly he’s against the overuse of CG, and directors becoming dependent on it to tell a story (so am I).

-Kol.

i believe the part that was CG was when it showed the plane cross the ocean (where it shows a simple black jet leave dots behind it when it moves) after uma asks for a one way trip to either place in japan…you can tell cause the water is reflecting blue, yellow, and pinkish colors…and well…looks cg

Tarantino movies are definitely not for everyone. But I’m a Tarantino fan and I’m looking forward to seeing it whenever it decides to show down here in Australia.

I loved the film, it isn’t your usual Hollywood action film, it isn’t meant to make sense or please any one, and thank god someone is putting something out there that didn’t do through market research first. The heavy borrowing of anime action was great, I haven’t seem so much blood letting from a sword since Jubei(Ninja Scroll). The soundtrack was typical Tarantino flair and I’ll be getting the CD. I have to go see the film again to catch all the easter eggs in the film like the Toyko plane scene which was taken from one Toei’s Godzilla flicks or the Big Apple cigarette signs taken from the brand that John Travolta’s character smoked in Pulp Fiction.

I must say that i realy enjoyed that movie. It was a mix between spaggetti western and japanese carate genre. The whole idea about puting several minutes of rough skeched anime inside the movie, is a trademark of Tarantino’s originality. The characters were also very well thought. (that japanese lolita with the sailor outfit is a classic!) And what about that bloodbath… I never heard people laughing so loud by seeing blood spilling all over the place. Talking about high blood pressure here!!!
Anyway, few things i didn’t like, for example that airplane toy and the totaly flat sky plate behind it. It was so cheap i almost expected to see the airplane shadow falling on the sky. I guess it is Tarantino’s intention to not pay attention to VFX, i mean he could do better with a 55 million budget.
I’m definitely going to see Vol2 when its out (is that an ironic comment about trilogies? :hmm: )

Originally posted by lordmachuca
[B]5 out of 5, great movie, great style,
yeah the movie has no special plot, but it still kept my attention.
he produced depth with some of the characters but, we didnt really know who uma was exactly. she was part of the squad, was about all we knew about here but who cares she kick ass. but knowing terintinos work thats probably Vol.2

RZA did an exellent job producing the sound track, what ever he contributed to it.that was definitly a strong point though out the whole movie.
the cinematography was great to. He took shots straight out of old kung fu flicks and pulled them off.
Sonny Chiba rocked.
killer movie, I’m watching it tommorow again.

was her suit a tribute to Bruce Lee?

did anyone notice the exessive foot shots? [/B]

LOL, I have to say, if there is one thing you can count on with a Tarentino film, it’s the feet shots. Guy either has a big foot fetish, or just some personal signature.

Firstly I basically enjoyed this movie but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the flood of Bruce Lee in this is movie?

Here are some of the references I noticed:
Yellow Track suit with matching shoes

'Kato Masks + Flight of the Bumble Bee (Theme to the Green Hornet)

David Carridean won over Bruce Lee for the leading role in “Kung Fu” the television series.

Just curious if anyone has read anything regarding the significance of these elements.

Originally posted by KWAK
[B]I pretty sure the anime sequence was NOT 3d…
Can anyone back me up here?

[/B]

The beginning part is 2d , but when she assasinates the guy in the car , that part is full 3d , both the background and oren ishi.

translated? umm tarrantino speak english an is american.

i think jet li in place of uma thurman would have made it a much better movie. but ehh it was uma and tarrantinos idea in the first place so she isn’t really going to be cut out is she?

looks like a great movie ain’t seen it yet.

Uma Thurman is my new favorite super hero. I’m no expert on martial arts movies, but I never thought having a non-master for a star hurt the movie at all, I think it might have made it better. Some of her ‘dramatic’ acting, like in the scene in the house, was pretty bad, but that might have been intentional :slight_smile:

Originally posted by milkyman
[B]translated? umm tarrantino speak english an is american.

i think jet li in place of uma thurman would have made it a much better movie. but ehh it was uma and tarrantinos idea in the first place so she isn’t really going to be cut out is she?

looks like a great movie ain’t seen it yet. [/B]

Genius! Jet Li as the Bride would’ve been a very alternative revenge film. You should be a movie executive! :stuck_out_tongue: