HumanIK vs RapidRig vs AdvancedSkeleton

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone out there had any thoughts on the relative merits (or otherwise) of the following rigging solutions for Maya:-

HumanIK
RapidRigBasic
Advanced Skeleton

How do these stack up it terms of:-

ease of use?
flexibility?
features?
robustness?

I am considering these with a view for my students using them to rig their characters (as opposed to starting from first principles since the course I teach on is not a dedicated 3D/CG course), so cost is a consideration also - I am assuming these are all free for academic/non-commercial (please correct me if I am wrong).

Many thanks!

Hi,

I would order it like:
Advanced Skeleton
RapidRigBasic
HumanIK

Regards,

I have experienced productions withAdvanced Skeleton andHumanIK.*

Out of those two I would recommendAdvanced Skeleton. I uses it for productions, but I am also seeing it more and more when asset are provided for certain projects from other studios, so it’s merit is that it is used in the industry.

Advanced Skeleton is very customisable. It takes a while to get your head around all of the features, it does have some quirks and it is not alwaysa one stop shop for all your needs. I usually add things or modify parts of the rig when needed, and I don’t use the facial system.

Advanced Skeleton Tip- don’t scale the the Main control guide. It can cause an error when building the rig, best to just position the joints without scaling that controller.