How to model realistic paper wrap

I need to model a paper wrapped bar of soap. It has to be realistic and it has to be properly UVd. Ideally I’d like to apply the graphics and then fold up the paper, but I’m sure that’s going to be very difficult.

Can anyone point me to a tutorial or help me figure this out? Or if anyone thinks they can do this for me, how much would you charge?

Would look like this but different shape.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiSsYrhnOjeAhWhy4UKHfLnCzIQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.renderosity.com%2Fmod%2Fforumpro%2F%3Fthread_id%3D2789036&psig=AOvVaw2i__CHsdr2pjCTqtI-YNRD&ust=1542983787627617

Would this be a rough indication of what you’re talking about?

That’s more like a folded box nose, it needs to be more like a single piece of paper folded up, and have softer edges along it’s length. I also need to be able to UV map it so I can apply flat artwork that wraps around the folds correctly. And then I’d like to able to sculpt some small wrinkles etc.

I’d love to figure out a way to actually fold the thing up as if it was a real piece of paper, but I’m getting nowhere.

Reference pic of where I’m trying to get to:

Unfortunately, there’s no way inside C4D to do the folds automatically. This needs to be modeled from a wrapped reference. The UV unwrapping won’t be a problem, especially if the modeling is relatively accurate, as it essentially unwrap into 1 sheet.
Mind you, any thickness should be applied AFTER the modeling and UV unwrapping has been done.

What I would do:
Fold it using paper, and make sure you mark the Fold lines.
Make a single polygon that has the shape of the Folded paper and use the physical model as a blueprint to cut the Sheet up identically as the folds.
Do a Flat Projection UV on the Sliced polygon.
Separate these polygons, and start rotating and placing into a 3D puzzle to construct your folded pack.
Weld it up and your UVs will be correct!

BTW, for anyone wondering why not use the dieline, the idea is to use what the paper does AFTER it’s folded, NOT what the paper was TOLD to do… that way you get all the natural paper details.

I’ll give that a bash Nose - thanks!

Maybe … all that needs modeling are the
end flaps ?

SoapWrap

nice idea vid, but not realistic enough for me or client

nose, I have done what you suggested and now have a correctly folded shape with the correct points welded

now I’m completely stuck though, I don’t know how best to get rounded edges: some fairly rounded, some tight where the paper folds on itself etc. Obviously I need to put it in a sub d, but how to make cuts etc in the right place is really hard to figure out

would you mind having a look at my file and giving me your thoughts?

SoapTrial.zip (1.4 MB)

I dont know you have done with this or no… here is my try.

I was not having the bar but best way is… see from the actual, how its folding, after few time head scratches… it will be done…!

If you still need that… I can send the file.
Sure some minor tweaks needed, small bump and curves enhancements to make it real.

I tried once to make a box wrap with cloth, i think even make a post here, but the search in this new forum is unfinished so could not find it.
Sadly the conclusion i have got is an usual one: failure because the tool is not complete.

Iac that looks good, long edges are a bit sharp but everything else is nice - I’d like the file please

I gave up on noseman’s method and box modelled it, then put it in a hypernurbs. I then UV’d it with a cubic 2 projection and moved and scaled lots of UV polys to get the mapping right

like yours it needs some detailing

Nice result BTW.
I think I was too loose with my explanation.
The manual fold, shouldn’t give you sharp folding lines like a dieline, but show you where the paper fold is thicker, and where you get rounding.
By using that information, you don’t need to guess where the parts need offsetting.
By offsetting, I mean when a physical piece of paper folds onto itself, it essentially makes a double fold as it can’t intersect. If you have those gaps, it will make your life much easier.

Anyway, the end process is what you did (some sort of freestyle modeling), but using a real life guide for the model parts.

I’ll see if I can recreate it in a way worthy of a tutorial…

Sure Noseman, better process way and love to see your tutorial.

I tried in office when got some time and tried this… I think in 10 or 15 min. When done then noticed edges are sharp, which can be fixed by giving some more gap in edges.

Here is file…!

xxxxx

Thanks.

I was secretly hoping this had piqued your interest Nose, and you were working on a tutorial! Would love to see one.

BTW, mind sharing your latest model, so I can test some UV unwrapping?

I will Nose - horrible deadlines right now…

Here you go Nose - you will see that my UV map is slightly messy - I’ve UV’d what I need to make it work and no more.

Also in file is my original construction using symmetry objects.

NoseSoap.zip (4.8 MB)

Strictly off-topic, but “NoseSoap” sounds like toiletry for cokeheads ^^

Or for acne sufferers