How To make a Lighting Showreel?

Greetings.
i am remaking my showreel and i want to primarily want to do lighting, modeling and texturing. What is the best way to show off all these attributes? Does any one know where i can find a good article on how to make a lighting Showreel? You know how to put it together, Must i Show the main light, then ambient light, Fill light, etc? If anyone can help i will be greatly appreciative. Thanks
Allan

The Finding Nemo DVD had some cool stuff showing their lighting setups

You don’t need to show light-by-light breakdowns unless it’s something really interesting that people couldn’t have guessed. For compositing exercises, showing before/after sometimes shows what you accomplished.

Your showreel should show that you can integrate 3D elements into a live-action environment, and also that you can light fully CG environments.

Composite a 3D creature, character, or vehicle into a live-action environment. Show that you can get the colors, lighting, shadows, and reflections to match between a real environment and something that you have lit in 3D. Demonstrate your range by lighting and rendering a variety of subjects, including some that are reflective, some that are organically textured or translucent, and some that are furry or have hair.

Show that you can light all-3D environments, including interiors and exteriors. The mood of the shot should be reflected in the lighting and colors as well as the content of the scene.
In addition to still images, it is a good idea to include some animation - not to prove that you are an animator, but only because most professional work involves dealing with moving footage. If you don’t have any animated characters, you could animate aspects of your environment such as the time of day, or different weather or seasons. Moving objects such as curtains, tree branches, or doors that cast different shadows and change the lighting during the shot. Some of the best lighting demonstrations involve studying a single location as the time or weather or mood changes; this shows how much lighting can add to a scene. If you are also interested in an effects TD position, then some effects animation—such as water, fire, or smoke—could be a good addition to your reel as well.

Developing something original, unique, or personal will make your showreel more memorable and reflect well on you as an artist, instead of doing fan-art or rip-offs of feature films.

-jeremy

I will second the variety aspect. Showing different lighting situations shows that you didn’t get 'lucky" on one shot, and that you have ability to tackle whatever assignment might be thrown at you.

One advice I can offer from my own experience is that you don’t necessarily need to go overboard on modeling super elaborate environments. This is is something I’ve been guilty of in the past as well, and while most people will appreciate the effort, your main goal is to show good lighting… not that you can handle a full production of a 50 person team. If you are really fast and capable modeler and texture artist though, by all means… it can’t hurt.

I need to do a lighting demo-reel too.
Those where really interesting tips!
You guys really putted them tight here!
Thanks!

An example of an excellent lighting showreel by Amaan Akram:
http://www.warpedspace.org/showreel.htm

Wow!
Very nice!
Tthanks a lot!!!

Thanks Alot Guys! Thats a great help. There is not much out there on how to make a good lighting showreel!! Thanks Again!!

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.