HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: NonLinear Editing

Ok in order to clear the air, I have taken the liberty of posting a series of threads
where ideas on how to improve Lightwave can be posted in an organized fashion.
The idea is to provide an one stop place where developers (from Newtek, or independent)can come in and get ideas.

The titles and links for the threads are below.

HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Character Animation
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Dynamics
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Effects
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Layout
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Modeling
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Rendering
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: SDK and plug-in development
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Interoperability with other apps
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Workflow
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Expressions
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: 2D (Stealing Ideas from 2D Programs)
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Operating Systems
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE:Latest CG Papers (Tell us about Bleeding Edge CG Research )

RULES:
[ul]
[li]KEEP IT POSITIVE[/li]No “slamming”. A person might disagree with you and that is OK. There is no need to make a Sicilian vendetta out of it.
[li]STAY ON TOPIC[/li]Please stay on target.
[li]NO WHINING. [/li]This thread is not intended to show us that beautiful axe you have been grinding. If Newtek kidnapped your family and burned your house to the ground, we don’t care.
[/ul]Looking forward to your ideas.

-R

MotionMixer already exists that does non linear motion editing, which has so much in it, it doesn’t need much more. A couple things that would be nice are:
-Being able to have 1 frame motions (poses) and not have a minimum of 5 frames like it currently is.
-Maybe somehow supprot for mocap? It would be cool to be able to mix motion capture like that.

I would like to have the overall simplicity of Motion Builder. From this soft, here is what I really miss or find difficult in LW’s motion mixer:

–> a full powerful layered storyline where you can add layers of animation.
–> a simpler way to control the transitions
–> Ghosts and clip control points to simply rotate, move, match the clips
–> a channel similar to surface transparency or object dissolve for animation clips.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Re-opened the thread.

_R

I’d like to see Motion mixer be mixed with Speed Edit workflow.

Motion Mixer needs to be completely re-written. It barely touches on what NLA can be.

Something like smartmorph mixer wouldn’t be bad.

Gerardo

It needs to be more simple. The way it is now, it is powerful but it’s still akward.
Just simple selecting rigged model, assign actor, record different actions to separate files, load them into MM, and use simple left click drag and drop to add actions and transitions to the timeline. And ability to fade actions in and out.

I’d be happy with Premiere style editing in Motion Mixer.

and the ability to just slice and dice clips with NLE kinda tools. like lots of things in lw, it works but it’s clunky as all heck.

oh, and to clarify, i think this is about non linear ANIMATION right? we’re not talking about non linear editing like premiere or speed edit. right?

jin

[QUOTE=jinchoungforever]and the ability to just slice and dice clips with NLE kinda tools. like lots of things in lw, it works but it’s clunky as all heck.

oh, and to clarify, i think this is about non linear ANIMATION right? we’re not talking about non linear editing like premiere or speed edit. right?

jin[/QUOTE
I meant Non linear animation.
-R

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.