How To Improve Lightwave: CAD

Ok in order to clear the air, I have taken the liberty of posting a series of threads
where ideas on how to improve Lightwave can be posted in an organized fashion.
The idea is to provide an one stop place where developers (from Newtek, or independent)can come in and get ideas.

The titles and links for the threads are below.
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Rigging
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Web 3d
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Character Animation
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Dynamics
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Effects
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Layout
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Modeling
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Rendering
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: SDK and plug-in development
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Interoperability with other apps
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Workflow
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Expressions
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: 2D (Stealing Ideas from 2D Programs)
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Operating Systems
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: NonLinear Editing
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE:Latest CG Papers (Tell us about Bleeding Edge CG Research )

Looking forward to your ideas.
-R

1 - add the ability to move by translation or rotation polygon(s) or point(s) along the path of 2 points
2 - add the ability to clone by translation or rotation polygon(s) or point(s) along the path of 2 points
3 - add the abilty to have a construction planes defined by 3 points or a polygon.
4 - add the ability to create point at the intersection of 2 lines defined by other points
5 - add the abily to create point at the intersection of a line and a polygon
6 - add the ability to copy paste x,y,z value in one single operation

Import IGES files and be able to change the mesh resolution internally. Will cut another program out of the loop.

Lightwaves dxf import needs a major overhaul. To import CAD data at the moment we need to open the .dxf or .dwg in illustrator, delete most of the layers & save as a version 8 .ai, then load that into Lightwave. If we try to load a dxf into Lightwave it only imports a small amount of the data & it’s all shifted & messed up.

Lightwave is great for Architectural Visualisation but I think most companies go for max because it handles cad data better.

give LWO’s specification to http://www.ttf-group.com/US/indexus.htm and make strong partnership with them.

Incorporate sketch up their snapping, boolean, etc.

Improved DXF import.
Add facility to import DWG format including latest 2004 version (This would save me time on a number of projects, as it would rid some time spent in other 3rd party software).
IGES import would be good too

STL import would be good. And other ways to select polygons… like Rhino has at the moment with bonus tools - extract poly by draft angle, crease, angle to other poly etc.

NURBS! No comment.

in modeler:
File/import/ dwg (dwf)

thats it!

for the nurms, well that lw just freez as the same as it does for a subD model.

separete each unweld poly into new texture for easy modeling, example, window, separete the glass from the steel. makin each a diferent surface.

(and if you whant to go extreme!.. like viz that you create a conection between the dwg file and viz, you can model in architectural, texture and lighting in viz, and if some thing you need like a window of place, you can go back to architectural, move it and then reload the conection, the textures light will be the same, even on the window you move and render again, no back modeling!)

If you need to import 2d (plans. elevations, sections)
 You have to DROP (explode) EVERYTHING to basic entities - lines and arcs (circles). Then "Save as" version 10.
 For 3d meshes, you need to DROP to SHAPES (triangels or quadrangles).
 Then open it in Lw and move, rotate and resize.

That`s all. Nothing “messed” here. No layer or size limit (I import bunch of plans with dimensions at once). I usually delete all patterns (hatches) from CAD files of course.

I suppose you have a CAD application (Microstation, AutoCAD, ..) :)

Martin

I vote for something like OpenDWG or OpenDGN better, not for this PROPRIETARY “standard” file format.

Coming more from the architectural side, to improve CAD in LW I would suggest adding a new curve type of Linear, and polylines from the CAD package would be imported as these linear curves instead of 2-point polys.

Linear curves are extremely useful in architectural work, mainly for extruding, skirting boards, guttering, picture rails, door mouldings, but also for extruding walls and floors. The extude along a curve function would also need to be revamped to include such things as offsetting the base shape, picking the extrude centre on the base shape and being able to interactively be able to specify what percentage of the curve the shape is extruded along (i.e. the imported curve may go all the way around the room, but you may not want to start the extrude till after one door opening, but finish it before the next).

[ul]
[li]snapping (Look at how snapping works in a CAD App like Vectorworks. I can make a video if anyone from NewTek is interested) [/li][li]construction plane [/li][li]different coordinate systems [/li][li]faster gi with more tuning options [/li][li]instances in modeler [/li][li]transorm gizmos in modeler [/li][li]improved import of CAD data like dwg and dxf [/li][li]some library system would be nice where you can browse you assets and just place them in a scene. [/li][li] [/li][/ul] I think the main resaon why archiviz people use other programs are:
[ol]
[li]importing CAD data. 3dsmax has a good pipeline to AutoCAD and Cinema 4D has a good pipeline to VectorWorks and Nemetschek Allplan. [/li][li]Fast GI rendering [/li][li]snapping [/li][/ol]

It is good reason for it, isn`t it?

Maybe Newtek would buy some of BIG CAD company like Autodesk, Bentley or Nemetschek to improve pipeline?

Or some of them would buy Newtek. I vote for Bentley, they have no animation package in theirs portfolio yet.:buttrock:

Um, you do realise that Autodesk OWN Discreet don’t you ? :smiley:

Considering that most I/O functions for LW could do with a serious look at, I would suggest a partnering arragement with Right Hemisphere to licence Deep Exploration, or a cut down version of it.

Off course. Autodesk owns AutoCAD and 3dsmax (and Viz) and Nemetschek owns Allplan, Vectorworks and Cinema 4D.

Yes, I do, as well as Nemetschek own Maxon.

I want to say it`s much much easier to set up pipeline “cad to animation” if a company owns both aplication (+proprietary file formats).
And it is somewhat foolish to want include DWG 2004 support in LW, which means to license it and PAY for it and in the end to pay more for Lightwave.
I have suggested openDWG post before.

It sounds good for me.

But hey what the list price? Deep Exploration + CADTools + CoreCAD = 149 + 495 + 595 = 1239 USD. Hmmmmm

Chears

Martin

Thought you did when you mentioned Bently, but thought I better check :wink:

I got some more:

[ul]
[li]trimming of geometry [/li][li]offset [/li][li]bandsaw with the abbility to enter exact dimensions for the cut [/li][/ul] Florian