how powerful the human brain is

have any of you wondered how powerful the human brain is. just take his for example how long would it take you to make a photorealistic red head girl with a short skirt then rig it, animate it(make her dance), make a green field background and make the grass fluter in the wind. now see in the few seconds it tokk you to read this you have thought of an almost perfect human being imagined her dancing in a field with green grass flutering around all that at perfect quality. what did it take you loike 3 seconds to do all that and without a sweat. now take your computer. first there is a very dificult interface to use (although we are used to them) the keyboard and mouse imagine how it would be if you could plug your favorite 3d program into your brain or just ditch the 3d program and just be able to output the images in your head to video DVD or whatever media they have. that would be a horrible day to be a cg artist it would mean no more jobs. the skills that you spent so much time getting would no longer be of any use all that would matter is how much imagination you have. imagine the cg industry being overpopulated by 5 year olds.
hee hee hee :beer:

sorry for post I was up late and I just thought about that.

Wow, a powerful subject. I like where you’re going with this, we do need some kind of Mind reading interface, kind of like the matrix thingy where those plugs go into the back of their head… That would be great, but we don’t, and no one will want to support such ludacris. Maybe I would, but that’s a whole other subject.
:lightbulb Maybe we do need something that could help us do our work faster, anything would be great, or grood.

Repent and floss often,
B R A D

yeah but what happens when the program crashes, or viruses for that matter.:shrug:

yeah that would be pretty cool, what would be better though is machine that creates a 3d reality, like a star trek holodeck, although if that existed all situations would eventually lead to topless beach volleyball with Liv Tyler, Angelina Jolie and Monica belluci :smiley:

Good thinking thinking squidinc, :smiley: , I like your thoughts and there could be problems for that matter too… I magine the children… We could create more reallistic things than we could before, but what would be our translation code from our brain to the computer? Yeah that would suck to get a virus, but how could that really happen. Hopefully no Hackers while you’re working(:twisted:), maybe have the computers completely isolated…

Raise your kids well, BRAD

The sort of stuff you´re talking about will probably be beyond our technological grasp for the next 50 years or more.
I´d suggest sticking with more accessible realities than mind-reading software.

For starters, devices able to interpretate our (motion capture gloved) hand modeling skills and extrapolate from there wouldn´t be completelly outlandish.

After all, it´s far FAR easier to make a rough model out of clay than to nurbs your way to it.:lightbulb

Just my two cents.

Originally posted by samgrice
yeah but what happens when the program crashes, or viruses for that matter.:shrug:
ohhh NOOO! I can see it now- people that have been infected with viruses walking around going “free ******* enlargment pills! Call 999-999-9999 or go to www.*******.com!” and not even realizing it…

I’m not into useing my brain for my development, I wanna be able to use it the way it is, and figure out some of these road blocks i have with what i’m trying to do with software… which is just me having trouble. And do what i see in my head.

I see as soon as i figure out how I best use the software, that i’ll be able to make the things i want to.

Originally posted by samgrice

alzhaimers??:cry:

actually there have been tests/experiments where subjects get to play really basic games by controlling it with the brain.
a matter of learning to relax it to do such an such, something like that. Saw it on the news a while ago, pretty interesting stuff but a long way away from anything groundbreaking.

i though you only use 10% of your brain [or something like that]. with that fact, i do believe in such things as telekinetics, telepathy, ghosts, and other “non-explainable” things. i mean, some people have photographic memories, something i can only dream about. and what about all those cases of autistic people able to perform tasks that even the smartest person can’t perform.

i think once humans learn to free their minds, the world we know it will be completely rewritten.

The 10% thing isn’t really scientific at all, BTW, just something misinterpreted and repeated a lot. As I recall, it’s that we’re only using a certain percent of our brain at one time, but we do use pretty much the whole thing, if not all of it.

As far as the first post goes, there’s a big difference between thinking of a girl in a field and imagining it to be photorealistic, and making it on a computer. The brain doesn’t actually store “images” as much as very precise descriptive data. For example, thinking of a photorealistic girl, you imagine that the eyelashes, hair, etc look realistic, and the dress and grass ripples in the wind, but you don’t actually see the individual highlights on the the cloth. Things in our minds consist of concepts, and are translated to visual ideas. You may be able to imagine the highlights of a spot on her dress, but you can’t create the whole photorealistic scene in your mind, if you see what I’m saying.

I do believe that mind interfaces will advance fairly soon, and we will be able to draw, and later model with thoughts, but I think it will still require people to concentrate on what they’re doing, and won’t be instant at all. Besides, even if you could do that, it would be nothing without creativity. If you have that, you’ll pretty much always have a job.

The mind is incredible, and an interesting thing to study, but it certainly has it’s shortcomings. Our memory for one thing is very flexible, and despite what some people thing, witnesses in trials are one of the least reliable forms of evidence.

Originally posted by kole
[B]i though you only use 10% of your brain [or something like that]. with that fact, i do believe in such things as telekinetics, telepathy, ghosts, and other “non-explainable” things. i mean, some people have photographic memories, something i can only dream about. and what about all those cases of autistic people able to perform tasks that even the smartest person can’t perform.

i think once humans learn to free their minds, the world we know it will be completely rewritten. [/B]

You can have a photographic memory too though! You can learn to speed read and visually memorize an entire book in a matter of minutes.

The psychological illusionist Derren Brown did this for TV not so long ago. He went to the British library and asked a clerk to pick any book from the shelves. He then proceeded to memorize the book in 20-30 minutes. Then the clerk tested him. He could recall any word or sentence from any page of the book, completely at random, needing only a matter of seconds to recall it.

The great thing about Derren Brown’s stuff is that he just learned all this stuff because he was interested. He doesn’t claim to have any special gift, and makes you the viewer understand that you too can do these amazing things given the time and inclination. All you have to do to “free your mind” is pick up a book and learn this stuff.

…Unlike some other “magicians” that spring to mind who have their heads so far up their own arses they can’t eat for 44 days at a time…

In the case of these autistic children who can do amazing things–e.g. instantly play back any piece of music perfectly note for note after hearing it only once; draw an incredibly detailed picture of, for example, a building, from memory, accurate down to the last detail–it seems to be something to do with the way their brains are wired. I.e. they have incredible gifts, but they are also autistic (or, if you prefer, they are autistic, but they have incredible gifts as well).

Our brains are incredibly good at doing some tasks, after all they are incredibly advanced computing machines honed by millions of years of evolution to perform one task in particular: social interaction. Hence we can do in a flash what takes computers many hours: spotting visual patterns, recognizing not just individual human faces, but the thoughts they are expressing as well, often with incredibly subtle combinations of emotions.

On the other hand, there was no need for our ancestors to be able to calculate pi to 3 billion decimal places, so we tend to fall behind computers in that side of things.

Technically, it could be possible.
As we speak, a lot of research is done in the field of artificial vision. We’re already able to take a CCD and connect it to the brain. Blind people are already able to see again, thanks to this technology. Its still in its infancy though.
So we’re able to translate signals picked up by a CCD to a ‘format’ that the visual cortex can understand. We then also should be able to do it the other way around.
But just as Agent D said, as we see things in concepts, or instances of real objects, we really need to rethink that strategy.

But wemay also need to rethink the way we display and portray reality in the first place. If our brain can comprehend things through only a few visual references, we should also be able to do it in the real world.
That could change anything from infographics/pictograms to entertainment.

Unfortunately, these things seem to be culturally dependend.

I agree with agent D on this one. I dont think we could output a complete picture of any scene just by plugging into our brain.

Just imagine,when thinking of the girl you dont realise how many eyelashes she has and what the color of her socks are. Just when you concentrate you can imagine those things. So I guess you could say it would be a buggy input device.

I would prefer something that can draw a model from various pictures/drawings (front/side view or three quarter side) where you just have to fill in the gaps as it were.

i had the idea of a brainplug already but i doubt that a program could key out exactly the thing you want to have “materialized” digitally. our thoughts flow, cross through each other, never static. maybe it would be possible to “materialize” a terrain-like mesh or something similiar where you see the height and depth and could recognize your idea. therefore we have hands to build it and the space that holds it so we can refine it.

and it’s much more interesting also to struggle with techniques, learn and thus develop your craft instead just put a brainplug. it would be boring if none great masters would be more alive and everybody could just put a brainplug if that would be possible anyway.

Originally posted by kole
[B]i though you only use 10% of your brain [or something like that]. with that fact, i do believe in such things as telekinetics, telepathy, ghosts, and other “non-explainable” things. i mean, some people have photographic memories, something i can only dream about. and what about all those cases of autistic people able to perform tasks that even the smartest person can’t perform.

i think once humans learn to free their minds, the world we know it will be completely rewritten. [/B]

This may enlighten a few people:
http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tenper.html

mm the fact is that you don’t picture yourself exactly the scenes. When you think you can picture you the girl, you only request some very diffuse patterns of memories… if you think you can have perfect images in your brain, close your eyes, take a pencil, open your eyes and draw what you had in your mind, the exact proportions of the eyelashes, the curvature of each surface, the skin tones etc…
when you try to think about that you’ll see that the information you have in your mind is very diffuse and emotional. Not informative and constructive. Unless you are a very, very good artist.
Of course direct interface between brain and software could be nice, but it wouldn’t make anyone able to do masterpieces in a matter of seconds.

here is a pretty interesting forecast from intel:

by 2010 the processor in manufacture will be able to perform at the same level as the brain of a bumblebee.

yes… a bumble bee.

makes you think them spankin new p4 3.2ghz chips just kinda suck, doesnt it?

What could be a problem is that though often you think you really have it all thought out in your brain, when you think about it in more detail you start to realize how you missed many things or just roughly thought about them in the first place… I think that’s one of the problems with for example making a drawing… you don’t draw something perfectly like you imagined it would be, but you rough a drawing out and then adjust details and such… by the time you start doing that you often already have a different version in your mind than the one you started off with… I hope this makes sense somehow… perhaps it’s not like that for you, I can only tell you what is going on in my own mind of course :wink:

edit: LOL, I think m@. and I are on the same bandwith on this one hehe