How many Frames or Seconds of chararacter animation can you animate per day ?

Hi Friends,

I want to know how many frames or how many seconds of character animation in an Average can you do per day ? 

please mention and explain the number of characters in that particular shot and other aspects like if your shot included facial and lip sync along with character animation then how many frames or seconds can you animate per day in an AVERAGE ?

Thanks in Advance.:thumbsup:

Regards
Siva

How long is a piece of string? :wink:

How tasty is a spicy meata balla?

Basically what they’re saying is that it depends on so many things that it’s hard to say. Kind of like saying what number is between 1 and infinity?

I think if you’re doing your own personal animation, it depends on how good you are. If you’re working in a studio where they want you to get 4-9 seconds done in a week, then you better do 4-9 seconds done every week at least.

Sets time slider to 9999999999999
Sets keyframe on frame one on the characters COG
Moves character up by one unit. Set a key at frame 9999999999999

Oh yeah. I can do alot of character animation per day. Any amount, just name it. :smiley:

Hi SirRon,spikkel,noisewar and MR. AdmiralRa.

Thanks SirRon. ya i got good explaination.

MR.AdmiralRa. I think you dint understand my question. I want to know how many seconds of quality animation can you animate per day on an AVERAGE. if u can say please tell. if its tough leave it.

And guys i want to know how many seconds of animation ( in average ) per day or per week, will be assigned to each animator in different companies? I know its tough to answer. but just tell me on an average. .

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards
Siva

MR.AdmiralRa. I think you dint understand my question. I want to know how many seconds of quality animation can you animate per day on an AVERAGE. if u can say please tell. if its tough leave it.

Just kidding man. Sorry if it offended you.

Well, for personal animation, since i’d be all out to try and tweak my curves, probably about 4-5 seconds a week.

At a studio i worked at before, we had to do about 20 seconds a week.
(At one point during crunch time we had to do almost 2 minutes in a week. Obviously, it was quantity over quality in that case.)

A random comment: The guys in Vancouver working on this show do 25 seconds per week of approved animation as a minimum. Many (most?) artists there do more than that to earn bonuses. Similar studios in town working on similar kids TV shows are about the same.

Some shots have more characters/props etc, so those count towards ‘more footage’. But all in all that would be for scenes with 1-3 characters, depending on scene complexity.

But ya, its really hard to give any kind of actual target other than saying, if you’re doing work for TV, you need to be able to quality work FAST.

It’s hard to judge by day. You could figure out an average but it wouldn’t be accurate since every shot is different. Basically it’s quality to time ratio and what is acceptable, plus how fast your rigs and computers are. If you have to wait 5 minutes for a playblast, it’ll take you longer then if you have to wait 30 seconds for one.

Tv shows are the most demanding with animators expected to do anywhere from 20 - 30 seconds of animation per week. Quality level varies by shot and demands of the studio as to what is acceptable. It still has to be passable, and that is a challenge by itself.

Film can be as low as 2 - 5 seconds of finished animation per week, but it is expected to be beautiful and flawless, as much as humanly possible.

Game animation, I have no idea.

Commercials can kind of be an ongoing refinement process depending on the job as deadlines are usually much tighter and the whole process very fluid.

Just depends on how fast you are. I know artists doing 30 seconds a day. But it also depends on how many characters are in the scene and how they intereact.

Ew. I would love to know the quality level on that kind of crunch.

That is only one character though in about 8 hours. Also depends on type of animation.

wow…I guess this is really not as effective, time-wise, as video. It took me 5-6 hours to shoot enough for a 5 minute short film. I did it all in one afternoon. That doesn’t count editing, but it wasn’t that much time.

omg 2 -5 seconds a week damn and i thought modelling took long :smiley:

Wait - are we talking animation only, and not all the other elements that go into it,
like modeling, lighting, texturing, rendering and etc.? Er…my god.

Ok - Timothy Albee took 6 months to do a 20 minute short, going at it
full time, all by himself. So that’s 3.333333 minutes per month, inlcuding
everything, all aspects of doing animation, not just the animating part.
So that’s .8333333 percent of one minute per week. Almost a whole
minute a week. Including everything. He must be a superman.

I think that whole project was exaggerated a little too. He used off the shelf Lightwave, but also had a specific animation tool programmed for him, that they sold after the fact. I also believe it did take more than 6 months, but 6 months was the plan.

How does it look? I’ve only seen clips of it here and there. I don’t want to diminish his acheivement, but it’s not just a numbers or speed game. There is something to be said for good weight, accurate motion or physics action, acting choices, fluidity, and the always overlooked appeal. Who is the judge of what can be called “final,” etc. Is can sometimes be easier to say to yourself, “this shot is done,” then to have a lead or director want something else, especially if you’re doing more then just animating. WIth his film I think you take it as a whole process and less of a “how much animation can you do in a week.”

I’ve been thinking aobut this…if I had a pad of paper, I could
probably make 25-30 seconds of animation in a week. I could
make my own flip book, and I’d be re-drawing everything the
hard way.

I dunno, something just seems out of whack. I guess I’ll find out
soon enough, but when I did that LW tutorial with the train caboose,
and saw it go across the screen after only setting 3 keyframes, I
thought…damn! Just think what that would take if I had to re-draw
every movement in the train’s position, the old fashioned way.
something just ain’t right.

Too bad they don’t make paper anymore. :rolleyes:

C’mon man. If you do 3 seconds of hand drawn animation of an actual character doing something that’s actually any good in one week I’d be impressed.

There’s a huge difference between breathing life into a character, even if it’s a car with eyeballs, and setting 3 keyframes to move a train in a straight line. So yeah, I think you’re missing something.