how do I work out the intersection point of two converging edges

Hi guys,

I have a problem whereby I need to know the intersection point of two converging edges, so I can weld the verticies to that point.

Ideally, I’d like to be able to select the two edges and have a point helper (or something) placed where these two edges would eventually converge.

Basically, I’m cleaning up some verticies after a chamfer, and I want to accurately maintain some of the square corners.

Does anyone know a way of doing this?

Cheers

Alex

PS Let me know if this is not clear and I’ll expand further.

Check this it might help you http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=3398267&postcount=3

Ah thanks for that, that may do the job.

I’ll have a go and get back to you.

So I assume fom this then, that there is no ‘proper’ way to do this, it would have to involve Maxscript?

I’m really having trouble with this, as I have no experiance of Maxscript. I have read up on scriptspot but i’m still none the wiser.

The script seems to be:

fn lineLineIntersect pA pB pC pD = (
local a=pB-pA
local b=pD-pC
local c=pC-pA
local cross1 = cross a b
local cross2 = cross c b
pA + ( a*( (dot cross2 cross1)/((length cross1)^2) ) )
)
But how do I make that into Maxscript?

I’ve added it to a text file and saved as MCR, and dragged it into Max, but can’t see any sign of it in the custom UI.

Is this right or am I missing something?

Do I need to add some extra script in at the begining?

Any help is much apppreciated,

Alex

Hi Alex,

How about converting the edges to splines and then trimming / extending to get the intersection?

Josh.

I wrote something like this based on Seneca’s modo script called “unbevel”

[img]http://bryancavett.com/maxscripts/unbevel_01.gif[/img]

Just select all the edges plus the two outer edges and run the script. It must be an open edge selection though and can not be a loop.

Get it here:
http://bryancavett.com/maxscripts/unbevel.ms

It should show up under the “BCTools” category

--@categorie:Akira Scripts;name:edgeIntersect;description Get Intersection point of two edges
--*** ************************************************************************************************* ***--
-- Created: 		13.04.2010
-- Last Updated:	13.04.2010
-- Version:			0.04
--
-- Author :  Akram Parvez /akram2601@gmail.com / http://akira-techart.blogspot.com
-- Version:  3ds max 2009 (10) (should work in older versions too!)
--
-- Description:  Get Intersection point of two edges
-- Usage: RUN IT
--
-- Wishlist:
--
--*** ************************************************************************************************* ***--
-- MODIFY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK
macroScript edgeIntersect category:"Akira Scripts"
(
	on isEnabled return ((classof selection[1] == Editable_Poly) and ((getSelectionLevel selection[1])==#edge))
	on execute do
	(
		fn lineLineIntersect pA pB pC pD = (
		local a=pB-pA
		local b=pD-pC
		local c=pC-pA
		local cross1 = cross a b
		local cross2 = cross c b
		pA + ( a*( (dot cross2 cross1)/((length cross1)^2) ) )
		)

_obj = selection[1]
		_edges = polyop.getEdgeSelection _obj
		_verts = for i in _edges collect (polyop.getEdgeVerts _obj i)

try(select $point01) catch(select (point()))

$.pos = lineLineIntersect (polyop.getVert _obj _verts[1][1]) (polyop.getVert _obj _verts[1][2]) (polyop.getVert _obj _verts[2][1]) (polyop.getVert _obj _verts[2][2])
	)
)

– copy the code, save as edgeIntersect.ms and run it once inside 3ds max.
– Then you can find it under Customize->Customize User Interface->ToolsBar->Catogery->Akira’s Scripts. Drag and drop in to your 3ds max tools bar.
– Select any two edges and press egdeIntersect button just created.
– You get a point placed where the edges could meet.

Akram

Akram,

Thank you so much for taking the time to do that for me, it is very much appreciated.

I thought something was missing with the script but I didn’t have the experience with it to know what it was or how to fix it.

That works a treat now.

Thanks to everyone else for their help too.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.