HMC #35: SPORTS IN MOTION!: Olympic Boxing

Boxing has been one of my favorite sports since I was a little kid. Although, after watching the Olympics this year it was really hard to decide which sport to chose. I think something really good could come from any one of them.

Here is a look at my reference sheet. I’ll probably try and find some more photos and watch a few rounds, that way I get a good feel for what I want to end up with.

My plan going into this challenge is to do a diorama. I wont be trying to capture anyone’s likeness, I’m going to try and capture a particular moment.

Just spent a little bit of time watching recordings of this year’s Olympic boxing replays. These are some quick sketches I took from the videos. Hopefully these will help me find the right moment to pick for my diorama.

Hey splinter, just wanted to give you a heads up, I’m going to be doing the exact same thing, olympic style boxing. When I saw the theme for this months HCM, boxing was the first thing that came to mind.
Good luck, cant wait to see what pose you pick.

Awesome! I can’t wait to see your work as well. I think there are so many great routes to go with Olympic boxing. I’ve been a little side tracked with other things at the moment, but hopefully I’ll have some thing to show here soon.

Good luck, and thank you :slight_smile:

Started working on the base for my boxers

You have very long arm… is it normal?

No, your absolutely right. I didn’t pay as much attention to proportions as I should have. The next pass is definitely going to have to be proportion adjustments. Each time I look at it I feel like the legs are a little short too.

Thank you for the heads up.

Use references plans. it’s easy and you get your proportion quick

I’m not going to lie I can be a little stubborn (“lazy” lol) when it comes to using references. After working with proportions a little here’s what I have.

Slow moving, but I am glad there is finally some progress to show today. Here is one of the boxing shoes.

Here is my progress so far. I’m getting ready to pose with zrigging. After the initial posing I’ll add details such as wrinkles in the clothes and so on.

Starting on the pose for the first boxer.

My boxers finally come together.

Heads up!
HMC #35: SPORTS IN MOTION!: One week to go!
-R

Working on the boxing ring. Hopefully I’ll have more time for everything all together this weekend.

The weekend is finally here. Hopefully now I can put in some work on this Diorama. I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I’m still pretty confident even though I only have a couple more days.

Here is a look at everything so far.

Judges Chair

Ring Ladder

Turnbuckle

Jumbo Tron Screens

Boxing Ring Close Up

Boxing Arena

Now, back to work.

Cool scene. Going to look great with some real lighting. Keep up!

So it doesn’t look like I’m going to meet the deadline. Part of me is upset about that, but I think it’s ok. I still learned a lot, and I’m going to try out some new approaches. Hopefully I can speed up my production.

Here is a model of the Bell.

A few additions to the arena.

Here is an attempt at lighting.

I’m not going to meet the deadline, but I do still want to finish this up and see what it looks like completed :slight_smile:

Good luck to everyone else who has taken the challenge. I can’t wait to see what everyone else comes up with.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.