HMC #16 - Jurassic park III Dinosaurs

Hi everyone !! :wavey:

In the year 1993, when the movie “Jurassic Park I” released, I was a kid and saw the movie on big screen. Those dangerous creatures with cruel behaviour, I had never seen those kind of scenes before in that time. So just became crazy from that time till today about Dinosaurs, specially the raptors !! :twisted:

Remembering those amazing creations - I want to personally dedicate my entry to the great man who gave life to the creatures whom nobody ever seen, the man who amazed everyone by his work in the films those cannot be forgotten - :bowdown:

Stan Winston

Now, here is my entry -
I am going to start working on dinosaurs in Jurassic Park III.
Will try to do as much as I can, there is not much time left as I started late already.

Took the first one to work on, that is - Velociraptor
some ref images:

cool! thats a hell lot of details… love to see all those detailing in zbrush… plan the basemesh quick so that you have enough time to do all those high details… All the best! :thumbsup: will be watching your progress…

Thanks for encouragement Nitin. This is my favourite one, will try to give enough treatment to it.

I found these very interesting facts about dinosaurs, like to share with you guys -

How many types of dinosaurs are known?

Approximately 700 species have been named. However, a recent scientific review suggests that only about half of these are based on fairly complete specimens that can be shown to be unique and separate species. These species are placed in about 300 valid dinosaur genera (Stegosaurus, Diplodocus, etc.), although about 540 have been named. Recent estimates suggest that about 700 to 900 more dinosaur genera may remain to be discovered.

Most dinosaur genera presently contain only one species (for example, Deinonychus) but some have more (for example, Iguanodon). Even if all of the roughly 700 published species are valid, their number is still less than one-tenth the number of currently known living bird species, less than one-fifth the number of currently known mammal species, and less than one-third the number of currently known spider species.

And here is the first update -

Just completed whole body, ready to export, took much time then my expectation as I did little more detailing here.

That’s a great mesh, should be easy to detail.
Good job so far.

Awesome dude! the basemesh is looking very good… GoodJob!:thumbsup: now time for sculpting… cooL!

Great mesh for the Raptor already. And in an amazing speed. I really look foreward for the Zbrushing :wink:

A question: Do you leave the limps that cubic as to be seen in the pic or do you already smooth down the edges a bit before going to high poly it?

I hope you get all the Dinos done you want to make. Thumbs up and alot of energy!

WyattHarris - Thanks!!

namnocilis - Thanks buddy!!

Locusta - Thanks for kind words!! well, I have smooth down the edges as I subdivide the mesh in zbrush. I will try to do as much as Dinos as I can. :wip:

Here is an update of some primary details done in zbrush, working on it, don’t know :shrug: how much detail I can give, as my PC is not strong enough to handle too much high poly model.

Hope you are using Polygroups in ZB. That way you can isolate particular parts and work in more detailed mesh whthout killing your PC, as ZB calculates the polygroup(part) of the mesh that you see onscreen.
Another hint would be HD geometry.

I second that, polygroups really help when your PC starts struggling.

Don’t forget that the raptors underwent a considerably design change between the movies. The JP3 raptors had an enlarged nasal cavity and those goofy feathers:

harshdesign & WyattHarris - I have used HD geometry earlier but didn’t used Polygroups before, as I am not a veteran in zb yet :blush: , just learning new features. Last night I tried, how to use polygroups and it was pretty simple and useful. Thanks guys :slight_smile:

SantoAnderson - Yes, surely considering that issue, about feathers - I read about Velociraptors and it was said that the male ones have those feathers on their head but the female ones don’t. And my piece is a female velociraptor so I think she don’t have it. :wink:

Will try to finish this one today, little scared about skin texture, never tried that different kind of skin pattern before.

I love your Raptor already!! Looks great. Thanks for your advise to smooth down in ZB. It looks so easy in your case, but I guess it´s a lot of fine tuning (better said smoothing) to get the right shape of the limps. You nailed it!

Harsh advise for using Polygroups is highly to recommend. Not only for the polycount onscreen, as well for the overall organisation and workflow.

I look so foreward to see him in his reptile, leathery skin with all the beautyfull wrinkles and skratches.

Again: He roooock!

And I wonder what Dino comes next :wink:

Locusta - Those Polygroups helped a lot. About next dino, well I am going to select that now, lets see which one. Thanks !!

Hey guys !!
Just completed skin details last night, due to festival holidays I got little lazy :blush: .
Anyways,This was a real fun doing a dinosaur skin work, nice experience, I made some custom alpha brushes to get those large and small wrinkles, also for mouth, hands and legs for those bony structures. I tried to get as much as details I can, don’t know how fine I did, as there is not much time left, still some dinosaurs are waiting for me . .

nice progress man…

Hey Deepam, this is turning out really nice, I’ve always loved the way the raptors looked in these movies, looks like you’re doing them some justice with this one! It’s looking really great.
I guess my only crit would be the scales around his mouth, they look very uniform and placed, and maybe a little too big?
Other than that it looks very nice, I like the detail you put into his skin, he has that nice almost cross-hatched style you see in a lot of reptiles, keep up the good work! :beer:

Great Progress Deepam. Are you planning on a diorama for this ?

Rock on.

mesklil77 - Thanks ! :slight_smile:

nmcelmury - man, you have some very sharp observations(about mouth). I realized that thing very late. So, adjusted in this post, Thanks for pointing it. :slight_smile:

kumarC - Thanks ! About diorama - I don’t think so, there is not enough time for that as my primary aim it to create as many dinosaurs as possible but will think about later. :shrug:

So, just a little tweaking here and there, soon start working on the next one.

C&C are most welcomed !

Hi guys !!

I was sick :sad: for over a week so didn’t work a little . . lots of time wasting :banghead: .

Here is a pic of the next dinosaur I am going to work on which is -

Pteranodon

Didn’t get any good bottom ref pic of this, which I think is the best view to see all the details of its body. If anyone has that view image or link that will be helpful.

nice work broooooo…