If someone can get the rigs to run on Maya 5.0, I’m more than happy to do the animation. But really, I think what defeated us on this project is the software.
We’ve had quite a few offers to do the animation work but they simply did not have the correct software. This was the reason I suggested Blender before the project began.
I didn’t come to propose it lightly…
- Its free.
- We are only animating simple primitives - not complex CGI humans or Cave Trolls.
- We have everyone using the same software - we are in the position to help each other out if problems arise in the use of the app.
- Learning a new 3D app is always annoying.
- Does crash once in a while.
- Would increase the project schedule by a good month or two due to learning.
…but that is just my opinion. Don’t get me wrong, I have given serious thought to actually upgrading to the latest Maya to get the work finished…but I strongly believe it was the way to go.