Hidden JEWELS !

After spending 6 months dealing with technical problems it’s nice to come across some thing as fun as the PSD image filter. This takes Lightwave to a new level for me. I wonder how many other hidden jewels I will find. What other nifty things are not obvious??

Would anyone know why my depth layer is all white when I expot the PSD files?

It works fine on the preview render when you have the view layers filter on.

Yarr…me eyes see no image.

was that psd export is a scurvy lot, yarrhhh!

I guess that means you guys don’t know.

I only meant that I’ve had the same trouble with the psd export in the past and gave up on it.

Sorry too.
I see pirates and my brain shifts into pirate mode. It happens with monkeys too.
I thought you had attached an image of the results, but I couldn’t see it.

Anyway, I’m guessing there’s a bug in the exporter. I think I’ve had luck exporting depth into .rla or whatever.

No worries guys. I was just hoping I had set something wrong in the interface. I didn’t want to upload a pic because, well er ummm it’s a white rectangle. The funny part is XSI has the same error. I know Fusion will bring in a PSD sequence in and set it up for compositing. I will have to check the RLA format. Ooh here is the picture of what we are working on.

I was also hoping other people would post cool undocumented features here.

EDDIE :bounce:

We could post them, but then they wouldn’t be undocumented. :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually,
YOU didn’t even post an undocumented feature. It’s actually a ‘hosed’ feature, at the moment. :wink:
You’ve been to Flay.com, right? That’s the place to find More features. However, most of them are pretty well documented. :slight_smile:

Haven’t checked out flay.com just reading the manual

Haven’t checked out flay.com just reading the manual

Which version of LW are you using ? The PSD filter isn’t covered in the LW7.0 Reference Manual, but that is because it was new in LW7.5 and is described on page 25 of the LW7.5 update manual/addendum. There are several ‘hidden’ LW features covered in that slim little 50 page document :slight_smile: I’m not at my LW PC right now, so cannot give you a page reference in the LW8 documentation.

use buffer export from dstorm, it export single files for single layer, in any format you want.

powerful, lighter, and more confortable than psd exporter.

(and export many other hidden info for postpro!!! yup!)
i find psd export buggy, memory waster and wrong builded, i not tried lw8 version, but with lw7.5 version photoshop, corel and many other 2d application read it’s format with wrong blending mode applied…

Thank you for the info. It helps a lot.:thumbsup:

Heh. The “Save Commands List” button is pretty cool, but I’ve been doing LScript programming lately.

I was surprised to find out that in Modeler you can have layers from different objects visible at the same time. VERY helpful.

“NodeMatch,” which lets you play back ClothFX data recorded for part of an object back onto the whole object, while the rest of the object respects deformations from bones and other displacements. It’s a direct descendant of Motion Designer’s “Coordinates” playback, documented here.

Look for NodeMatch in the File tab of ClothFX. Set playback to “local” and check the NodeMatch box.

Potential uses: calculate ClothFX data for a stand-in that only contains geometry that actually gets deformed. Play it back onto the object from which you copied the stand-in geometry. The point order and point count of the stand-in does not have to be the same, but each point of the stand-in should match the XYZ coordinates of a point on the playback model.

For example, instead of calculating ClothFX on an entire dragon, you could clip out the membranes of the wings and run ClothFX on only those points. Then you could play back the results on the entire dragon with NodeMatch. Result: a smaller MDD file, a faster calculation and a dragon whose non-ClothFX-calculated points can still be tweaked with bones and other displacements.

I don’t think the LightWave manual explains what NodeMatch actually does, or even how to use it. It has a lot of potential, though!

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.