Helzer's Sketches

Wonderful oils! The second in particular is a very arresting portrait.

Having been away I’m a bit out of context. What sort of class is this? :slight_smile:

Lovely Oil portraits Daniel.
When painting alla prima, do you use any medium or oil at all (after the block-in), or do you just use turps and paint only? Just curious :slight_smile:

[left][font=Verdana]Outlawstar8489 - Thanks :)[/font][/left]

[font=Verdana][/font]

[left][font=Verdana]eilidh - Thanks to you too :slight_smile: BTW, this is a life-painting class I’m taking at the Nevada Museum of Art. The models wear period costumes for a duration of three hours while the students paint away with their preferred medium (oils, charcoal, etc). I’ve had three sessions so far and it has been awesome.[/font][/left]

[font=Verdana][/font]

[font=Verdana]NR43- Thanks! I use Gamblin Galkyd Lite Medium but only a little. For the most part, I use the medium for creating the atmospheric backgrounds. It just makes it easier to blend. With that said, I pretty much use just turp when I’m forming the face. Instead of turp, though, I use Gamblin’s Gamsol as a solvent. It’s a higher grade solvent and doesn’t carry nearly as many health issues as plain o’ Turp.[/font]

[font=Verdana][/font]

[font=Verdana]Even then, I still use the solvent, judiciously. Too much and it opens the door to over-blending. I like my paint to have some sturdiness so I can tile my brushstrokes. I hope this answers your question.[/font]

[font=Verdana][/font]

[font=Verdana]Another thing, I plan to update my blog someday, I have a bunch more studies I need to scan in. Just been busy.[/font]

[font=Verdana][/font]

[font=Verdana]Thanks all, again.[/font]

Thanks for explaining.

We don’t use the agressive version of turpentine here in BE either.
We’ve got something called “White Spirit”, which thins the paint perfectly but it’s a lot less irritating to the hands or eyes than turpentine. Although I must admit that in class, when 30 people in one room are painting, it can become a bit overwhelming for some (lucky me isn’t bothered by it at all).

Interesting to hear that there are several solvents being used by painters.
I’ll see if I can find the one you mention to experiment with.

Read your link about White Spirit, interesting stuff. I really like gamsol, if you’re curious to read more, here’s where I buy it

http://www.dickblick.com/products/gamblin-gamsol-odorless-mineral-spirits/

Fortunately, in my classe, there’s only a few painters. Most are charcoal and pastel people, so there’s no real heavy fumes lingering about. I hope to see some of your work someday.

Take it easy,
Dan

Heh, I’m just a beginner with oils Daniel :blush: so don’t expect too much of it, but you can see some of it on my homepage (www.johanderycke.com), which is also my blog. Please feel free to critique if you like.

Thanks for the link!

Hi Johan,

Great work! You got some nice likenesses in the portraits and your last entry “onion and garlic” is a strong piece with a pleasing color palette.

I wish I could visit the Frans Hal museum. I have a book of his work. Love his earthy colors.

Also, I dig you easel :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing!

–Dan

Quick Morning Sketch

Hey dude, the composition of your pictures are a matter to admire and study! Great updates all around, the white dragon is my favorite.
CU

Thanks Siiilon, much appreciated :slight_smile:

45mins

“Fog”

Shit Daniel! - I’ve been looking through this thread so many times before and followed you through the years of your evolution

• and to my surprise I have not given you any comment what so ever
    sorry!

• must say that you are really a master of brushes and characters
    and I will follow you more closely as I now subscribe
    :slight_smile: keep it up…

No worries Daw, we keep in contact via Roberto’s sketch thread anyhow :slight_smile:

I feel like I’m getting rusty with the digital sketching. At work, I’ve been doing more and more 3D stuff lately and, during my free time, I oil paint. I remember, at one time, I use to post a digital sketch daily. Now, it’s very sporadic. It’s a shame, because I have learned so much from doing it daily. In a couple of months, I plan on getting a Cintiq, so hopefully I will get kicking things out at a more regular basis.

Anyhow, thanks for stopping by :thumbsup:

25 mins

35 mins

There is this small town called Handaville, it’s in a land far beyond the unclimable mountains of Watchum.
They say you can buy small jars with a strange liquid in them, which will stop time for the world around you when you drink it, and this for a good 423 minutes. Careful though… too much of the stuff will do strange things to your soul and body… I plan on going to Handaville some day, feel free to join me :slight_smile:

I know exactly what you mean Daniel. The only time I touch my tablet is when I’m removing the dust off it :curious:

Ha…ha…yes, count me in! :slight_smile: Thanks, NR43. I decided to take some digitals of my oil studies and post them today. The one with the cowboy hat is actually a master copy of one of Nicolai Fechin’s works. I learned a lot from it. The rest are studies I did in a figure painting class, minus the landscape.

I like how your oil paintings have similar vibrant brush strokes like your digital work. I particularly like the 2nd and last portrets!

Wow man you’ve been busy :slight_smile:

NR43 - Yeah, I’m trying to paint with every chance I get. Wish I had more time to do so, but life gets in the way. Thanks!

RicoD - I never made that comparison, but I guess you’re right :slight_smile:

20 minute digital doodle

another sketch.

Walking Dead

Another cool one Daniel! Hmm, looks like he’s not fleeing from the mob of mindless zombies despite there being way more zombies than rounds in his gun. He must be preparing to roundhouse kick them … guess he’s a Texas Ranger or something then. :wink:

Thanks Rico D :slight_smile: Actually you’re pretty close. The Walking Dead is a TV zombie series here in the states. The hero is a police state trooper. Anyways, glad to have you stop by again!

–PS, it’s funny in movies where the gun shoots more rounds than what it can physical hold…that’s Hollywood, I guess.

The Goblin King