Helzer's Sketches

Always a charme to come back to this thread :thumbsup:

Wonderful paint Daniel! Love the expression. Waiting for more

Two friends from Italy, what a treat :slight_smile: Thanks for the kind words, I have another portrait study I will post soon. It’s done in oils, so I’m still waiting for it to dry before I scan and post. Hopefully, soon. In the meantime, this is a little update to the digital piece above.

Cheer,
Dan

Hey Dan, nice updates this latest one has more character and story now. I think you noticed something a few posts ago about your images not showing up right- i noticed it too. Not sure why but it looks like they are displaying smaller than their actual size?

Anyway, i love your brushwork with the tradional pieces, curious how many brushes you use typically for a piece?

Yeah, the size thing really bugs me. It occured when I updated to Explorer 8 and I haven’t been able to resolve it since. I even submitted the issue to a Microsoft forum but got no response. However, it’s specific to this site, I believe. The images appear fine in my blog. Hopefully, soon, I will see the light and get matters squared away.

In regards to brushes, I have a bunch that I bring to class, but I usually use only three: big, medium and small. I start out using a big flat bristle and sometimes that can carry me a long ways until I need some detail here and there. The one above is pretty loose, it could be a little tighter, but my class demos only last 45 mins. so I have to speed things up.

Thanks for stopping by, Rabid1. Hear from you later.

Today’s sketch.

…if interested, there’s a larger version on my blog.

sweet lighting on the figures :slight_smile:

great update daniel, love the story telling in your last two submissions. and hey, cool blog :slight_smile:

Thanks Jpedro and Soundwav, much appreciated. Here’s an oil study I did last week. It finally dried enough so I could scan it.

Wow, that last digital piece is just brimming with intrigue, cracking color and comp as usual, and the oilwork is really excellent, great work indeed!

Outlawstar8489 - Thanks :slight_smile: Yeah, I want to do more sci-fi pieces like the one above. I got it on my list of things to do.

This is an Alla Prima piece I did in a class with a model. A couple hours worth.

I found a picture of this woman on Flickr and decided to do an oil study of her.

Here are a couple of digital background paintings I did. They’re sort of cartoony, but have little inspirations from Avatar/Alice. Those movies seem to be playing a lot in my head lately. I intend to do a couple more in the same style and whacky theme. Perhaps, next weekend.

Side note, I have larger versions on my blog if interested. For some reasone, IE 8 and this site’s new layout restricts the width dimensions.

beautiful beautiful backgrounds! So spatial or 3D you feel like you want to take a walk inside of them!

The portraits are really quite beautiful, I wish I could do that with oils, I am practicing, you color choices are extremely compelling, cracking excecution, and really love the background, I thought of avataar immedietly, great stuff man!

Love the backgrounds Daniel! They are so rich and stylized…you’ve achieved a brand new world… of purples and blues lol.

For some reason, IE 8 and this site’s new layout restricts the width dimensions

So you’ve figured out the problem eh? Now if we could only figure out a solution!! Maybe using a different browser to upload the images?

Anyway, great updates bud!

Mu - I’m glad you like them, they were fun to do. Hopefully, I’ll explore that area a bit more. Many thanks, Mu!

Outlawstar8489 - I really enjoy doing portrait studies. Faces are so endlessly fascinating and it’s something I strive to improve upon. If oils really interest you, just keep at it. Perhaps, enroll in a figure drawing class and ask if you can bring in acyrlics or oils instead of charcoal. I started taking a night class a year and half ago at a local college and just kept enrolling. The instructor allows me to bring in oils, acrylics or whatever. Most of those guys are pretty flexible. If you every do some traditional work, post it, I would like to check out. Cheers! :slight_smile:

Rabid1- Thanks, bro! Like I mentioned to Mu, I hope to do a couple more. As for the browser issue, yeah, I posted on a Microsoft forum and basically they said the issue was on the site’s side. I guess, I shouldn’t say “issue”, it could be intentionally. Maybe they prefer not to have big images mess up the layout or there might be an entirely different reason. In any case, I usually post the same stuff on my blog now which always has a larger version. Thanks again :slight_smile:

Outlawstar8489 - I really enjoy doing portrait studies. Faces are so endlessly fascinating and it’s something I strive to improve upon. If oils really interest you, just keep at it. Perhaps, enroll in a figure drawing class and ask if you can bring in acyrlics or oils instead of charcoal. I started taking a night class a year and half ago at a local college and just kept enrolling. The instructor allows me to bring in oils, acrylics or whatever. Most of those guys are pretty flexible. If you every do some traditional work, post it, I would like to check out. Cheers! :slight_smile:

You know, I really should do that, I agree about faces though, nothing is more diverse and challenging and I have a real passion to be able to do oil portraits just like the old masters, Ive just started really, I have a lot of experience with pencil but my traditional portraiture has a long way to go, I try to spend at least some of every day working traditionally.

Ill def post something soon, Im working on some acrylic stuff now cause Im outta titanium white oil, hehe, gotta get some more tomoro^__

Do you find it hard to balance your passion for both digital and traditional art?
I often do, I feel I want a career eventually in digital art and that the traditional side of things is more for myself, but yeah Im always having these dialogues in my head about the whole issue, haha!

Love the lates pic btw, beautifully textured and composed, just all round great to look at^__^

Outlawstar8489 - Definitely, you should do that. Another benefit of going to a class, it’s a structure that’s pre-planned and paid for, so you’re usually motivated or obligated to go. For myself, if it wasn’t for a class, I tend to get a tad lazy especially after work.

Again, if you get around to posting something let me know or if you have any questions, I’ll try and do my best to answer them.

Balance between digital and traditional? Well, I do much more digital work than traditional but someday I want to flip that around. I really enjoy the real-world process of traditonal and I prefer to gaze upone a physical painting than a pixel one. With that said, I would never abandon one for the other, because I find what I learn in one ofter seeps into the other and vice-versa.

Well, thanks for the good work Outlaw, hear from you later.

These backgrounds are part of an Around The World In 80 Days game I was working on. Unfortunately, the game tanked before mid-production. Anyhow, they were suppose to span the world, but I only covered Hawaii to the Atlantic Coast.

…continued.

Great colors and I dig those oils

Keep going and maybe separate the different parts of the picture (foreground middleground and background) by value separation?

Vatsel - Thanks for dropping by. I’m glad you like the oil work. Yeah, there are definitely areas in the backgrounds where I can distinguish the F,M,B grounds more. I’m burnt on those pieces at the moment, but I’m sure in the near future, I will tinker more with them. Thank again :slight_smile: