Help with rock textures(Sample scene attached)

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help me push quality of my Procedural rock texture for scene im working on.
The idea of the type of rock im going for is kinda marble with gold going through it.

I was wondering if anyone could help me improve on this, help sell the scene bit more ?
Also would anyone know how to add some dirt layers that pickup cavitys of rocks some more ?.

I’ve attached scene, the lighting will be darker then this in the final image, suppose to be a cave with two fire lanterns behind his head with two opening to the cave shinning light in.

Scene file.
http://rapidshare.com/files/317343822/rock.zip

Quality of the model i need to match.

GET the free Plug-In:
The Simbiont Max Procedural texture plug in has over 100 textures and a lot of great natural rock materials.
The max plug in is free, but I recommended buying the Dark Tree program too that made them as you get to open and tweak all procedurals yourself.

Cheers, THOM

http://www.darksim.com/html/download_simbiont2.shtml

One thing that i noticed about rocks is that they don’t get much GI. So you can try to lower the GI influence to .1 or .2 (1 is maximum). Not much specular, and a broad too. Areas with much details and areas with less detail and so on. Try to find some good reference and try to brake it down mate :slight_smile:

Should help your imagination:
http://www.darksim.com/tutorial/html/tdt2_stone.html
(A little browsing on Darktree site thanks to Thom…)

I would test with the final lighting if this isnt what the final render will be then their will be a big difference.The first thought I had is vray, just the bump mapping or displacement alone will from vray will help alot.And vraydirt may also fill the cracks with the look your going for.I know there is a way to blend two materials using a noise map as the base, so the black parts of the noise map could be the white rock and the white could be the gold. you could add a falloff/raytrace to the gold seperate so it reflects the torches light.

2 things:

• The variation int the rock TEXTURE needs to somehow tie in with the geometry, so consider using ambient occlusion as a mask somewhere.

• You’re lacking both low and high frequency detail. Right now it’s a set noise size variance, which makes it incredibly obvious that it’s procedural based. Consider larger variations as well as the smaller ones you have already.

Although a procedural texture has a lot of benefits, I like to follow Leigh’s suggestion that an image (photo reference) is the best you can use to make your textures look real. Using photos as textures comes with the trade off mapping it and using lots of Photoshop…

What about a combination of both? :wink:

That’s the general idea! Use whatever is suited to the task. When making a tiled texture, for example, it’s best to mix 2 of the same texture in max, where the second is rotated 45 degrees and sized up a little, and use a noise map to mix the two to get rid of visible tiling.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.