Help with a table cover in 3DS max!

I am trying to render a realistic looking table cover for a folding rectangular table (72"w x 29"h x 30"d).

Something that mimics a real table cover like this: Table Cover Photo

I tried a loft and came up with this: Attempt1

I tried the Cloth modifier along with garment maker and got a lumpy mess: Attempt2
I tried playing with the cloth properties for hours and this is the best result I got.

Any tips or ideas on better ways to go about doing this, would be greatly appreciated!

Did you try increasing your cloth plane segments? From your image I can tell it could use some more.

Davius, did you mean the Density of the Garmet maker modifier? I bumped it up to 1.2. That seemed to have helped. Between that suggestion and reading/watching a bunch of tutorials, here is what I have so far: attempt 3

Any suggestions on how to improve upon this further? The realism isn’t quite up to what I want.

Thanks again.

You can also try just a simple plane with a ton of segments for your cloth object, as opposed to using the garment maker. You will probably get a little smoother result that way. Give it a shot.

Worst case scenario, if it still looks lumpy, you can throw a turbosmooth on it and get a decent looking result at render time.

Please post your scene file.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.