HCR MINI-Challenge #16: Stan Winston Tribute

[left]HCR MINI-Challenge #7: Stan Winston Tribute [/left]

THE HARDCORE MODELING MINI-CHALLENGE!
Stan Winston Tribute

[color=darkorange]Sculpt a creature, a diorama, or creature series based on the wonderful creatures built by master monster maker Stan Winston.

[/color]
Who is Stan Winston?
From wikipedia:

" an American visual effects supervisor, make-up artist, and film director. He was best known for his work in the Terminator series, the Jurassic Park series, Aliens, the Predator series, and Edward Scissorhands.[2][3][4] He won a total of four Academy Awards for his work.

For a complete filmography of all his outstand fx work
please check his IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0935644/

Because of his outstanding contributions to the visual effects field, and taking the world of practical FX to a whole new level, Stan Winston has been chosen as the vfx master we will tribute.

There are three ways to participate:

[ul]
[li]Single Creature:You can pick whatever creature you wish from the attached list at the end of this post. [/li]
[li]Diorama: You may sculpt the creature inside the appropriate environment.[/li]Some diorama examples:
[list]
[li]Ripley (in powerloader) vs Queen Alien[/li][li]Arnold vs the Predator[/li][li]Iron man vs the Warmonger[/li][/ul]
[li]Creature Series:This type of entry requires you will try to do as many creatures as you can from an individual film. [/li]

[li]Bust :This type of entry requires you will try to a bust of your favorite creature, or a likeness of the master himself.[/li][/list]For example you may choose to sculpt as many of the creatures from the film Small Soldiers

THE CHALLENGE:___________________________

Sculpt one or more representations of Stan Winston creatures in 1 month 1/2 from his filmography. The idea of this “mini-challenge” is to simulate an impossible dateline for a project. The artists will have at their discretion how detailed the models they will be working on, and the amount of models, and if the models will be shaded/ rigged. But the model will have to be Stan’s interpretation.

For example an entry might call for a QUEEN ALIEN, but the artist will have to sculpt a Stan’s screen interpretation from the classic film ALIENS.

A big part of the challenge is that the modeler will have to scavenge all the reference for the film models. But at the end of the challenge the creature(s) have to look like the one shown on film.

CAN YOU DO IT?

What is the HARDCORE MODELING CHALLENGE?

The idea of these HARDCORE MINI CHALLENGES is to push the modeling skills participants while learning from the past. To get past preconceptions of the limits of digital art. To push digital artists into the world of sculptors & artisans. But we will have variety on these mini challenges. Sometimes we will sculpt a model based on a masterpiece, but on other times we might do Jet fighter or a landmark…

The only thing that will be consistent is the SHORT DATELINES.

At the end of the challenge, the participant should have a finished collection of entries. Keep in mind contest of high difficulty you will have ONE MONTH and a 1/2 to do the challenge, but the rewards, even if you don’t win, will be your improved skills in speed and accuracy.

EVALUATION CRITERIA:______________________

Detailed RESEARCH, and attention to detail are key for ALL entries. Please before doing an entry do your homework.

The best model will be selected by an open vote
for these categories:

[ul]
[li]Best WIP thread [/li][li]Best Bust [/li][li]Best Model Collection (2 or more) [/li][li]Best Diorama[/li][/ul]and the big one of course:
[ul]
[li]Best Model [/li][/ul]
The winner will get bragging rights and a small banner
designed by me.

[color=darkorange]NEW DATELINE! Monday, September 15th 12:00 PM[/color]

YOU HAVE One MONTH to do the challenge.

CHALLENGE SPECIFIC RULES:
[ul]
[li]No work taken DIRECTLY from an existing tutorial. You may use an existing tutorial only for reference.[/li][li]You may NOT use a pre exiting models. All models must be done from scratch.[/li][li]An artist may change from [color=darkorange]a creature, a diorama[/color], or creature series whenever he or she wishes.[/li][/ul]GENERAL RULES:
[ul]
[li]Because of the HUGE number of files WIP are NOT encouraged, only final entries[/li][li]WIP thread should be posted on the Hardcore Modeling Challenge forum and should follow the following naming convention: HARDCORE MODELING!: Stan Winston Tribute: <<TYPE OF ENTRY >>[/li][li]For each image you should post: [/li]
Title of Model Completed[Model Images]

Comments:
[/ul]And should be posted on both the individual WIP thread on on this master thread.
[ul]
[li]For each model 3 Orthographic renders ARE REQUIRED. These renders are for TOP, SIDE, BOTTOM views and a BEAUTY RENDER.BEAUTY RENDER: [/li]
Final RENDERS should be rendered at 1600 X 1200 OR 1200 x 1600 in JPG format.(Post only as link) A smaller 800x 600 OR 600 x 800 image should be posted on the threads.

ORTHOGRAPHIC RENDERINGS:

Ortographic renderings ARE REQUIRED for EACH entry and should be rendered at 800 x 600 OR 600x800.

what about Kothoga from The Relic? I know he was quazi cheezy, but the original concept art was amazing.

You can do ANY creature from his filmography.
Hell I would encourage people to do more of his off kilter work.
-R

…:bowdown:

Oh, snap. I’d best get to deciding what to sculpt; this sounds like a fun one! I think I’ll re-watch Galaxy Quest and see if there’s anything in there I could try out…

Good call on the Cothoga by the way; The Relic is a great guilty-pleasure film :smiley:

Let us not forget about Small Soldiers! Comeon, you could model it and then get it printed. Your very own small soldier to play with unless he just so happens to kick your ass.

I was wondering if Bishop from Aliens would be permissable, particularly from the scene where he gets ripped in half and his milky android guts are all over the floor.

Yes he is kosher (after all Stan broke him in half)

so does that mean my idea isn’t allowed (iron man understructure, slightly modified for my iron bat?)

If I had the time to commit this month I would so be doing the Predator. And it would have to be the scene where he’s just pinned Arnold’s head to the ground with his wrist blades.

Good luck everyone!

I can’t believe I’m not seriously considering doing the alien or Predator – I’ve spent a good seven years now as the main site artist for Gamespy’s Alien Vs. Predator site, so I’m pretty darn familiar with the two. Unfortunately I’ve tried both in 3d many times and never done justice to either; perhaps I’ve become a little gun-shy about 'em now.

OMG! Why couldn’t this challenge have waited for some other time?!? :cry: I so wanted to do this! I would have loved to tackle a Predator or Alien Queen bust!

Oh well…I’ll be watching.

[color=darkorange] [/color]

Hey Roberto, can we get an exact end date for the challenge?

Thanks

This is going to be a great challenge, but I’m still wondering is August 15th the due date?

My bad…

Here is the official NEW date:
NEW DATELINE! Monday, September 15th 12:00 PM

Great homage, it´s will be one of best challenge here for sure.

Let’s not forget ‘Gargoyles’ -
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068622/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59Kz6G8174w
[Some Images](http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.videosewer.com/Reviews/image/Gargoyles-0.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.videosewer.com/Reviews/Gargoyles.htm&h=304&w=375&sz=30&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=Kf_KdRntm9NgtM:&tbnh=99&tbnw=122&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgargoyles%2Bmovie%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN)

A number of nifty creatures in there.

can we do mechanical designs? or do they have to be “ceatures” i was planning on doing a tank concept he did for the terminator series.

He died two months ago.?! Thats . . .

Well thanks Roberto for keeping us informed. I’m glad you’re dedicating this to him.

Aliens and Predator are still some of my favorite bad guys. The Alien mother is one bad-puppy.

damn id love to participate into these challenges but my modeling skills are not that great yet…

question is there anyway to set notification type to do not subscribe automatically instead of having it set to instant email notification?