HCM 8: Bela Lugosi Dracula: Full body

mudbox about 1 hour

unwrap and map ( very basic for the moment ) creation 1h

1rst render test. 1 hour to find some good light. about 2min of render/image a this resolution in draft mode iwith mental ray ( 3dsmax ). shader done in my mental ray skin wip.

what i am trying to do is an old dracula, like the one in the ‘midi-minuit fantastic’ ( red cover on top of this post ). now ill working on the body and some better textures before going back to is face in mudbox.

Awesome expression! I can really feel the moment as it was in the movie.

great to see you join up marc good luck, its an amazing start so far…

Thank you !!

begining the bump map. just the region of the eyes for the moment. done in photoshop.
same difuse map than the last one. i will add some fur for the eyelashes and eyebrows.

looking really great…makes me want to put more work into my bump map…lol

That’s really nice dude hehe i think i will give up my Lugosi bust :smiley:

I can see how your skills have progressed via your portfolio.

Lugosi is a great choice, love the old “cold” feeling he gives off.

Looking excellent so far. :thumbsup:

Good luck

thank you robo3687 and Fess !
( robo3687, i dont forget you for the screen capture…i dont have my pc with the file today )

Dont give up your Lugosi bust Star_Scream82 ! that is not the same picture we made :thumbsup:

little update of the bump, eyes, first try of hair (mesh hair ) for the eyebrows and eyelashes.

1rst level of bump ( i will add more details this week )

Great skin shading and lighting, Marc. I’m definately going to use a few ideas from your bump mapping. A few critiques for you:

For the likeness: the Lines on the cheek bones and the fat under the lip are too sharp. The little vein above his eye would be cool to see too.
Lighting: I think you should reveal more of the whites of his eyes, like your reference picture. A lot of character is lost by keeping the eyes in shadow. I’m sure this isn’t the final lighting, just what I noticed.

Great work.

Adambolton, thank you .

you have right for the modelisation problems, ill atenuate them.
the lights are for testing only and i think that my new monitor need to be calibrate.
and yes ill add the little vein above is eye ! i completly forgot it !
thank you

here is an update. the bump map are putting in zbrush, and i push the mesh with it.

eyes and eyebrows not done…

Good stuff, so far! Looks like I have some competition…I have a couple questions, though.

1. Any particular reason you chose to model Lugosi so late, past his prime? Is it so you can model more detail?
  2. Have you started to model the body yet?
  3. What kind of pose will he be modeled in?
  4. Very nice lighting setup! How many lights are you using? Are you using VRay?

hi rockymaru :slight_smile: thank you for the comments .
ill ty to answer your question .

" 1 Any particular reason you chose to model Lugosi so late, past his prime? Is it so you can model more detail?"

i choose an old B.Lugosi for 2 reasons.
i think its more easy for me to do an old person than a younger one.
i am not very good with mesh topology, and sculpting an old version of him is easier
in mudbox or zbrush than making a simple and clean mesh in a “standard” soft
( 3dsmax, maya etc…).
i love how some of people here, making great mesh that fit the actor with a very low
numbers of poly. its amazing. i dont have this talent.

the second point is that the head of mister Lugosi is not very know, and dont have
a lot of things that could be recognizable with a very litle amount of poly.

"2. Have you started to model the body yet? "
no. but he will have a big cloak :))

“3. What kind of pose will he be modeled in?”
he will be rigged, and ill try to do a basic Hammer style, and a funny one.

“4. Very nice lighting setup! How many lights are you using? Are you using VRay?”
one light, one hdri. the lights in the eyes are some glow meshes in front him.
i am using Mental ray since 2 month, its so easy and powerfull !
but i cant use micro displacement sss shader. i dont know why it doesn’t work for me.

Sorry for my English. ill follow (and comments ) your B.Lugosi with interest !

:buttrock:

The model looks so cool and I specialy like the bump texture ( is very very good and the way you’re doing that is interesting). i’m looking for your next update

Thank you Misu. i am a big Fan of your incredible work. its an honor for me .

little update with some basic hair (not finish yet ). the litle vein is to strong.

Wow i love it, it looks so real :wink: but the cortex i hope this is the real name for it i think it’s too wide it looks a little bit strange.

hi Star_Scream82, could you help me about your cortex critics, please.
is it possible for you to take the pict of his head and show me ( basic lines in photoshop) what is wrong for you with the head ?
that will help me alot. thank you :thumbsup: