Has anyone had any succes selling their models on TurboSquid?

or similar sites - i am wondering if any of you out there have tried to sell your models and if so have you had any success or not - is it worth it?

I have a friend who makes a little extra cash from Turbo Squid, but I sincerely doubt it’s a life-line.

You’d have better luck maybe advertising your own work at your own website IMO. Esp’ if the models are of a practical and high quality level.

Many companies short-cut on modeling to meet deadlines, jeez in the last week we’ve spent more on models than we have on modelers.

Thanks for the reply - i would like to give it a try when i tighten my skills up a bit

The reason i’d like to do it is cos i checked out some of the models on there and they are complete CRAP! - i havent been modeling long but i could do a lot better and also i wouldnt charge so much as some of the overpriced stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

I know exactly what you mean, i’ve seen my fair share of models there and people really have a nerve trying to sell some of that stuff.

I was thinking of putting up a sci-fi collection. But i’m working on my own 3D site (due end of summer), I’ll feature my work there when it’s ready.

Funny thing with Turbo Squid

I always used to look the web for 3d macross/robotech models (I don´t have the skills to do it myself)…
and find this awesome japanese 3d artist… TAKAKEN… He had this web site (no longer exists) showing his models/animations and he also share these meshes for a f-11 and yf-19 from the macross plus series… I download it and lost it in time (damn…! really awesome models). Anyway, I did contact takaken, he gladly replies mi mail, and gave me the link to turbo squid… some dishonest took these free models and began to sell it in that place (i´m not makin´turbo squid responsible, of course)… they´re about 90 dlrs now… funny, isn´t it ?

these are the models at turbosquid… I used to have these on my pc for free… the autor share those in his web site:

http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Index.cfm?INTFILETYPE_3=0&INTFILETYPE_2=0&BLSHOWCATEGORYSELECT=false&BLSEARCHGAMEREADYONLY=FALSE&ISTSEARCHKEY=&INTFILETYPE_1=0&INTMINPRICE=&INTCATEGORY=-1&BLKEEPCHECK=n&INTBUNDLEID=&ISTINCAUTHOR=Dunsil&ISTEXCAUTHOR=&INTRATINGCOUNT=0&FUSEACTION=ProcessSmartSearch&FLTRATING=0&DATEBEFOREPUB=&INTMEDIATYPE=-1&STGBOOLEAN=L&INTMAXPRICE=&STGTYPE=&DATEAFTERPUB=&INTSTARTROW=1&ISTEXCKEY=&BLAUTHOREXACT=y&stgAD=15J244404040441&stgOrderColumn=0&intSortOrder=0&blViewType=0&blViewTypeTip=y&intMaxResults=50

And this where the link to Takaken´s personal web site (not anymore, sadly)

http://homepage2.nifty.com/takaken/

I don´t know if this is truth, anyways… I suposse it is, there were a lot of 3D japanese macross srelated sites who linked it…

By the way, if anyone knows this takaken, does he have a site of his own ? i think he did animations for some macross japanese game, does he ?

greetings.

I’ve never sold anything on turbosquid becuase i personally think it’s a trash bin, but I was under the impression that THEY set the price of the models, hence why some of the utter crap on there is 50-60 bucks.

I have 2 suggestions which you might want to look into if you really want to sell models.

The first is DAZ3D (www.daz3d.com) Unfortunately it’s all poser content so you’d have to rig your models and create morphs and textures for Poser but I would guess C4D could come in real handy for something like that. Especially if you have Bodypaint.

The second is www.3d02.com I haven’t checked out much of their other models but the cars are of extreme quality. There are C4D models there too but not many and hence the quality isn’t that great but if you’re as good as it sounds, your models would be a welcome addition to that site.

Don’t know if you’ve looked into these yet but just thought it was worth mentioning. You could also check out www.renderosity.com and if you are interested in the Poser stuff you could go have a look at www.poserpros.com and www.renderotica.com

If thats right i would let TurboSquid know about it, although if you are mistaken it could get a bit ugly

Anyone can sell on TurboSquid and the seller sets the price him/herself so although there may be lots of crap there is also some pretty amazing models there, albeit expensive ones

Thanks for the link www.3d02.com pretty interesting, the others seem to centre too much around Poser for my likng, not that im dissing Poser - it has its place :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link www.3d02.com pretty interesting, the others seem to centre too much around Poser for my likng, not that im dissing Poser - it has its place :slight_smile:

The Poser market seems like an ideal place to sell models, though, just because it has a lot of casual users who may not want to invest the time or lack the tools for creating complex models. Daz3D does good business, from what I understand, and they sell quite a few models that are not rigged for Poser. They recently bought Bryce, so you’d capture that audience, too.

Hi, I am currently building a site for CG artists to post their art whether it is 2D/3D C4D or any other 2D/3D app. Anyone visiting the site can buy a print or download if the artist wishes. While building the site I was thinking of creating a HI-POLY model section, probably higher prices but better quality work, just had a couple of questions please. Would people be interested in this type of thing in your opinion? Would you pay more for hi-quality? Would app specific models be preferable or a generic format? Would the artist be happy in receiving up to 80% of the model price? Basically these are just rough ideas, I am just really looking at covering bandwidth/admin costs etc. Those questions are open to anybody, just trying to get some feedback, anyway thanks for reading.

Jon
www.jonsmedia.com

There is one more media store which grows like crazy: www.exchange3d.com . The store has just appeared and they are increasing the sails constantly. Another good thing about it is that there is also a media studio together with the media store, so If your works are good they’ll also give you custom projects.

Out of curiosity, what types of stuff were they buying?

Note: DON’T answer if it’s a sensitive topic. I’m looking for a general answer, not specific stuff. Just curious. :slight_smile:

Hi, I am currently building a site for CG artists to post their art whether it is 2D/3D C4D or any other 2D/3D app. Anyone visiting the site can buy a print or download if the artist wishes. While building the site I was thinking of creating a HI-POLY model section, probably higher prices but better quality work, just had a couple of questions please. Would people be interested in this type of thing in your opinion? Would you pay more for hi-quality? Would app specific models be preferable or a generic format? Would the artist be happy in receiving up to 80% of the model price? Basically these are just rough ideas, I am just really looking at covering bandwidth/admin costs etc. Those questions are open to anybody, just trying to get some feedback, anyway thanks for reading.

Jon
www.jonsmedia.com

Hi Jon,
I think there will always be room for good solid stores selling quality models. I also think that the community would be willing to pay a little more for good models as long as they aren’t overpriced and out of most people’s reach. A good reputation in this business is imperative and so it’s important that you decide up front (as you are) what types of models and the quality that you want to offer. 80% is more than fair judging from other site’s agreements. As for application specific models, IMHO it would be better to include all in a format that most could use. It would widen your market and most modeling programs can export in .obj or .3ds format. You could include some specialty (format) items for those that need something specific if you get requests however. Good luck and keep us posted! :thumbsup:

Damsel

Hi Damsel,

Many thanks for your comments, I want to offer high quality at a reasonable price, basically my site once complete, will host artists work and the artist will have the option at whether they would like to make there work available for sale through download or print, and there is an option so that the artist can decide whether they would like there work available as a free high-res download, I will not be charging artists anything for hosting but only a small percentage of anything they sell to cover costs etc. As well as this and going back to the subject in hand I will be offering hi-poly models and what I have decided is to use a universal format and have application specific models. I have noticed other sites only offering 45-50% to the actually artist which is quite low, I will be offering well above this but a variable rate based on print size(if artist wants to make prints available). Downloads will remain at a fixed rate. Users art is protected by adobe svg and other measures. Anyway site will hopefully launch in January(it’s not that far off!). A couple of months before hand I will ask on numerous forums and other places including CGTalk for artists work whether beginner or experienced. It’s up to the artist if they wish to provide their work for sale though. I will also be asking for Hi-poly models which would obviously generate more money for the creator. Hopefully I will get people interested, I know there are similar services but I wanted mine to be more of a gallery that gives people the option of what they want done with their work, there is also a forum and demo 2D & 3D programs should be available for download, plus a couple of other things. Sorry about the comprehensive reply and I will keep people updated.

Thanks
Jon
www.jonsmedia.com

I cant give you 2 suggestions:

1- You will do better if you have fewer artist but having them offer a lot of their model. Everyone has a different style and people buying models for a project need all of them to keep a certain style. Also, prescreen everything to ensure top quality.

2 - Try to present the products in a ‘package’, not selling them all in one package, but presenting them this way, for ex: John Smith’s Futuristic Soldier package, etc… And not put every scifi model in the same category. At least, thats what I would do and would like to see when I visit a site like that.

I am sure that a site having only 10 modeler making a lot of models would generate more sales than one with 3x more models but hundreds of modelers. And your strategy of rewarding the artist a higher % of sales would certainly help to attract these top modelers.

Finaly, if you need JSP webhosting, you can contact www.ubity.ca . They offer great service.

I wish you luck in your project!

Hi Mantat, it is great to see more comments, basically my site is for artists who wish to display their 2d & 3d art in whichever application they would like to use, the 3D Models are a side line, but I hear what you are saying. Anyone will be able to post their images as I said it is more like a gallery where users can choose to offer the work for sale or print if required, 3D models are a bit of a different fish, I will be pre-screening those, as no-one wants to pay for something and find have the mesh is missing or has holes or is not what they wanted. I like your idea about packaging models together which has given me a few ideas, thanks it is appreciated and I welcome the comments.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.